Recommend a predator decoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a predator decoy

Looking at predator decoys. Currently running a FoxPro Wildfire 2 call. The obvious choice is the FoxPro that switches out the battery cover and attaches to the call, but it’s $65 and I’m not convinced it’s worth the $. It also only comes with a woodpecker pattern decoy. Not sure if y’all know this, but the southern panhandle ain’t known for its trees, therefore woodpeckers aren’t all that common!

Also looked at the icotec version. Nearly 1/2 the cost and appears it can be controlled via the aux button on the caller with the standard 3.5mm jack. Not sure if I buy that claim though, or misunderstood it possibly

Also looked at the Mojo Critter 2.

That’s a lot of money. You can do a lot with a string and piece of cotton. Seen many a trap set with just a piece of bone or white cloth. Seen quit a few critters in the traps as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

stick with an Eagle feather attached to string

actually you just need something to divert the coyotes attention away from you

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
        That’s a lot of money. You can do a lot with a string and piece of cotton. Seen many a trap set with just a piece of bone or white cloth. Seen quit a few critters in the traps as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I’m not sure how well a piece of cotton is going to work against the back drop of thousands of acres of west Texas cotton fields.

Any input from the “night shift?”

Comment

Anything that will spin or move around and take their attention off of you. I've actually used a few different ones and they basically all work the same. My buddies I predator hunt with sometimes use decoys but I don't know that I've ever seen one come in because of it for sure. The coyotes I've seen that stopped to look at the decoy either died when they stopped to look or saw movement and hung up way out there and then left. I think if you're calling for cats a decoy would help quite a bit because they're pretty curious and it might help draw them out for a shot. For coyotes I'm not completely sold on using a decoy.

A sharp stick with fishing line tied to it and turkey feathers tied to the other end is about as fancy as I'll get with a predator huntin decoy.
          Last edited by okrattler; 01-08-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Modified weasel ball

Comment

I've got a mojo critter, I haven't had a stand where I thought it improved the stand in any way. I still set it out though.

Comment

Bowhunting

Playa, ever tried calling in and shooting a coyote with your bow? I've always wanted to try it and have been meaning to hook up with a seasoned predator hunter to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                  Playa, ever tried calling in and shooting a coyote with your bow? I've always wanted to try it and have been meaning to hook up with a seasoned predator hunter to do so.
                  Lol! I’m not seasoned! I’d love too, I think the cover or lack thereof here in West Texas/panhandle would make that really tough, but not impossible.

Comment

Plans

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    Lol! I’m not seasoned! I’d love too, I think the cover or lack thereof here in West Texas/panhandle would make that really tough, but not impossible.
                    We'll have to get together and give it a shot one of these days. Back in October a couple of friends and I called in a muley doe with a e-caller but she didn't give us a shot. It was a blast.

Comment

One or two feather with contrasting colors hanging from a hook on a very light string works darn good, no cost, no batteries, and light and easy to carry.

Comment

I just picked up the primos crazy critter for 18 bucks. Still being shipped haven't received it yet but it's 18 bucks. Worth a shot. Watched some videos and it looks pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                          We'll have to get together and give it a shot one of these days. Back in October a couple of friends and I called in a muley doe with a e-caller but she didn't give us a shot. It was a blast.
                          Funny you should mention that. I have a particular wheat field that butts up against a ravine on the edge of the cap. On more than one occasion (like 90% of the times I call there) I have mule deer come to the call, cottontail or jack rabbit. This last time I had a group of about 6 MD’s doe and young bucks who came in not once but 4 times all within how range. I was laying prone in a shredded corner. They kept getting in my shooting lane where I expected a yote or bobcat to come. I would get up on my knees and wave at them. They would run off into the ravine, then here they would come back again. And again. It got old. It was weird!
                          But I may ask the farmer if I can shoot one next year

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcat91 View Post
                            I just picked up the primos crazy critter for 18 bucks. Still being shipped haven't received it yet but it's 18 bucks. Worth a shot. Watched some videos and it looks pretty good.
                            Where did you get it?

Comment

Rogers Sporting Goods, founded in 1980, is a family-owned store that offers the best in waterfowl, hunting, shooting and outdoor gear. Browse the vast selection of everything you need to enjoy the great outdoors.

Also picked up the primos alpha dog caller for I wanna say 165 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X