Do trailers have titles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do trailers have titles?

I know this is off topic, but we are selling our cabin crusier and can't remember if the trailer had a title issued or not. I have found the registration for the trailer and the title for the boat, but that is all I got. I have looked around at txdot, but it never mentions trailer titles. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Get ya a dremel and carve your TDL# on it. I've heard that some folks here on TBH have had their trailers and ATV's confiscated due to lack of "proof of ownership"

Comment

anyone know for sure?

Comment

YES, My boss just sold a 27 ft tandum goose neck.He signed the title and I turned it over to new owner when he came to pick it up........Andy

Comment

Baot trialers should have serial numbers from the mfg somewhere on it. Those serial numbers are wht your registration matches. There should be other info on the trailer ID tag as well: such as Gross Vehical wieght, Gross Carrying capcity ect. The ID # and tag info gives TxDOT all nessisary data for whats on the road, when registard. But I don't beleive there has to be a title. You may need a bill of sale if you buy one from someone, or give one to the person you sell it to, so they can get it registared.

If nothing else, call your county clerks office and ask for more info on boat trailers.

If your boat has an OB, you should have a title for the OB too, not just the boat.

Comment

Yes,I am a trailer dealer and all trailers or motor vehicles have to have a title.If you lost the title then you have to go to the tax office and apply for a lost title.If it is a shop built trailer,then you have to go to dps and have it inspected and then go to the tax office and apply for a title.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up stickshooter

Comment

Yes all trailers have titles.

Comment

Originally posted by stikshooter View Post
                  Yes,I am a trailer dealer and all trailers or motor vehicles have to have a title.If you lost the title then you have to go to the tax office and apply for a lost title.If it is a shop built trailer,then you have to go to dps and have it inspected and then go to the tax office and apply for a title.
                  Not in all counties you don't but you do have to have some form of ID on the trailer now. Most counties or at least Lubbock, Wharton, Tarrant, Johnson, Comanche, Brown and Eastland just ask for number of axles and empty and loaded weights.

Comment

NO! Not all trailers have titles!

Q. How do I title a new manufactured trailer?
                    A trailer must weigh at least 4001 pounds to be titled. You will need:
                    Manufactured Certificate of Origin (MCO)
                    Form 130-U Application for Texas Certificate of Title
                    May need weight certificate if weight is not indicated on MCO

Q. How do I register a homemade / shopmade trailer that does not meet the title requirements?
                    You will need:
                    Form VTR-305-A - Statement of Fact for Ownership of Homemade/Shopmade Trailer
                    Form 130-U Application for Texas Certificate of Title (Required even if not titled)
                    Weight Certificate

Q. How do I title a homemade / shopmade trailer that is 4001 pounds or more?
                    You will need:
                    Form VTR-305-A - Statement of Fact for Ownership of Homemade/Shopmade Trailer
                    Weight Certificate
                    Form 68-A - Application for Assigned or Reassigned Vehicle Identification Number

Q. What documents do I need to transfer an out of state titled trailer?
                    You will need:
                    Negotiable Out of State Title
                    May need weight certificate if weight is not indicated on title
                    VI-30-A Certificate of Inspection

Comment

I stand corrected.What I stated earlier was giving to me by the District office of transportation here in Bexar county about 6 years ago,I assumed it was state wide.

Comment

Working...
                      X