No announcement yet.

Protein in E Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trial and error. Make take several attempts to find one they like. Lots of stuff to browse on in east texas

Comment

Roy they are real good at eating it over her near Village Mills. Yet once again, at night!!! Lol

Comment

Don't spin cast it, it causes it to break up more, and if it gets wet they won't eat it. Strt mixing it 60% corn, 40% protein and ween them onto straight protein. We feed lyssy and eckels down south but they will eat it in E.Tx too. We had to mix it first too. Now, they love it but definitely slow down on it when a wet spring comes. Natural Forbes are tastier I guess. Good luck and get a free. Choice feeder. Our next door neighbor in east tx feeds a bunch but not sure of brand.

Comment

East Tx Protein well worth it

I feed Record Rack Protein by Purina and mixed corn to start. Now I only mix in mineral granules. My troughs hold 350 lbs of protein and I mix in 10 lbs of mineral. This has become addictive to the bucks from February until after antlers harden in September.

I'm in Polk County and have 4 troughs on my family place 830 acres. Our lease which adjoins has over 16 troughs on 6700 acres. Started Spring of 2011, photo cams confirm bucks are addicted. Results already impressive but we expect years ahead will exceed year 1 results. Coons get their share so just accept that. We use hog panels to keep piggies out.

Comment

I use record rack in Polk county and they eat it well. Dont spin it though, use free choice. Just take your spinner off take a toilet flange, 3ft or so of PVC that fits the flange and then put a T on the bottom and attach flange where your spinner was. TOtal cost about 16 bucks. Also on your food plot, deer do NOT like ryegrass, cereal rye yes but not rye grass. the BEST thing to plant is a mixture of Oats and Wheat along with various clovers. Last thing, DO NOT plant in August, wait till at least the wkend closest to Sept. 15.

Comment

We had 12 fenced off protein feeders on 1600 acres in Polk County and fed April 1st to September. They were 300 lb feeders and we filled each twice. We started noticing heard improvement about year 4.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodlandsRoy View Post
                Cool, if it will work with a normal spin feeder I'll try it
                Do not put protein in a spin feeder. Not even protein corn mix. You will destroy your feeder.
                I tried protein in liberty county year before last. They do not eat it. Not even pigs. Once it rots the pigs dig out the ground where it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
                  I would definitely use a local brand, it is formulated for the needs of the area. We feed a blend from Martindale Feed Mill, and our deer LOVE it. Also, I wouldn't plant any food plots until late September, it's too risky. If you get a quick rain and the seeds germinate, then two weeks with no rain, you just lost your plots. I have been planting food plots in East Texas for 15+ years and have yet to lose a plot. Just watch the weather and plant accordingly.
                  I agree 100% ! I am a County Extension Agent and recently helped with a wildlife program in which one of the speakers was our State Climatologist and his prediction for the next 6 months was not very encouraging. With normal rainfall late August is still risky. But we are still in a drought trend even with the recent rainfall this Spring. Late Sept. or early October would be better for clover and Rye. And yes it takes very little soil moisture to germinate but a lot more moisture to sustain growth.

Comment

Working...
                  X