Protein in E Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein in E Texas

Do any of you east tx guys feed protein, and if so what type? Im mainly concerned with counties near Hardin/Polk/Liberty, or surrounding areas. Just curious of how the deer react to it and if its truely worth messing with. Im gonna plant 2 food plots in late August prob w clover and rye grass, about 2 acres each. Ive considered having a couple protein feeders going, (on 2200 acres) but not sure if its worth the money. Any info appreciated.

I did last year (local house brand) in Alto and the deer kept coming and filled back out from the drought.

Comment

How long did it take them to start eating it? I had a buddy feed protein last spring for 3 months and said deer hardly touched it. Was in Jefferson county

Comment

i use mg apple scented protein. in hardin county last year they ate it up fast, spin feeder freindly too. i fed it this year mixed with corn and now feeding straight protein, they are eating it slower right now i guess cause of the good green spring we are having. cost: its about the same price as corn this year so i cant justify not buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodlandsRoy View Post
          How long did it take them to start eating it? I had a buddy feed protein last spring for 3 months and said deer hardly touched it. Was in Jefferson county
          They started from day one. I had been feeding corn for several months before and I switched to protein in my corn feeder when the price of corn went through the roof.

Comment

I tried it at my place for 3-4 months last year and it just piled up. Even the **** hogs wouldn't eat it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
              I tried it at my place for 3-4 months last year and it just piled up. Even the **** hogs wouldn't eat it!!
              You need to pour a little of the majic sauce from the Mason jar on it to get pigs in to eat it... Whazup Cuz?

Comment

Cool, if it will work with a normal spin feeder I'll try it

Comment

Real Talk Roy...... I been doing this a long time in that area........ rather than feed protien, plant imperial whitetail clover in late September and you have a serious protien and attractant Oct - April / May. Trust me on this one.

We planted 3 plot, for the last 8 seasons or so, all about a half acre and we have seen body size and antler size go through the roof !

Comment

Set out a free choice feeder in January, put 2 bags of corn in first then M&G apple flavored 16% to the top. It was cool to see the pics of the deer trying to figure out the free choice feeder. Once they got through the corn, it didn't take long to go through the rest of the protein. I'll be going up this weekend to fill it for the 4th time and pull cards off the cams. I'm also planing on doing a food plot in September, in hopes of getting away from free choice feeders all together. The work and money needed up front is alot more with food plots but it pays it self back in a short period of time, when compared to going up and filling feeders once a month.[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                      I did last year (local house brand) in Alto and the deer kept coming and filled back out from the drought.
                      X2 - they hit it from day one.

Comment

I would definitely use a local brand, it is formulated for the needs of the area. We feed a blend from Martindale Feed Mill, and our deer LOVE it. Also, I wouldn't plant any food plots until late September, it's too risky. If you get a quick rain and the seeds germinate, then two weeks with no rain, you just lost your plots. I have been planting food plots in East Texas for 15+ years and have yet to lose a plot. Just watch the weather and plant accordingly.

Comment

appreciate the comments, Im def looking forward to planting the plots. I have alot of thick cover and I have 2 good spots already cleared off, about 1-2 acres each that are in great locations for a plot. Both are in the middle of the 2200 acres with water close by, about 2 miles apart from each other. Gonna prob go with some type of clover, heard they grow well in the area.

Comment

I know they will eat record rack and red river protien.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                              You need to pour a little of the majic sauce from the Mason jar on it to get pigs in to eat it... Whazup Cuz?
                              Haha! Yes Saw! That's what I did wrong...

Comment

Working...
                              X