Safety or no safety on a carry pistol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety or no safety on a carry pistol?

I just ordered a Smith and Wesson Shield 2.0. I had the option for a thumb safety, or no safety.
    Normally on a striker fire that you carry, I would say no safety. But I ordered this one with a safety because I’m assuming that I will be taking it off every time I get into the car to drive.
    I was thinking about buying one of those car magnets that you mount on the lower dash. I don’t like the thought of it sitting out in the open next my leg with nothing but the trigger as the safety.

Thoughts or opinions?

I mounted an extra holster to the inside of my console right beside me. I like it because if I need to leave it in the truck for any reason, I can lock the console. Plus, its out of the way and cannot be seen from outside of the vehicle.

Comment

Depends. If the safety has enough purchase for me to knock it of and ride when I grip the pistol, (ie 1911) having a safety is fine.

If I can’t get ahold of it, I don’t want a safety. I carry a Shield .40 that came with a thumb safety. I disengaged the thumb safety.

Comment

I carry a Ruger LC9 with a mechanical safety, but mainly because I have kids around the house. Even though I keep it locked in the safe when IM not carrying, I like the extra piece of mind. I do carry a S&W double stacked when IM at the lease, and it does not have a safety. Had to leave it on the RTV last time because I was sweating all over it, and it made me nervous with the kids there. Dont know if that helps any, but thats why I prefer a mechanical safety.

Comment

I keep a Glock 23 in my door side compartment in a shoulder holster with two extra mags. I have the magnet system mounted to the right of my right knee so if a situation presents itself it will be moved from the door to the magnet for quick access. As far as safety's go I don't care for them on any "hamerless" pistol or revolver.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
            I carry a Shield .40 that came with a thumb safety. I disengaged the thumb safety.
            Then you know how that safety is a positive lock and recessed.
            My thinking is that I can keep it unlocked when it’s in the holster?

I have time to change my order today and maybe that’s why I keep rethinking it. LOL

Comment

This always reminds me of a robbery video I saw once where a pawn shop owner and a criminal pull their guns on each other at the same time. The criminal had a revolver and the store owner had what looks like a Bersa pistol. The store owner in the heat of the moment doesn’t disengage the safety and the criminal shoots him. Luckily the guy lived but it’s just like the empty chamber debate if you think your going to have the time to rack the slide or click off the safety in the heat of the moment it probably won’t end well . Especially since the criminal is prepared for what he is about to do and the victim is caught off guard majority of the time.

Comment

The new Shield 2.0 trigger has such a short stroke and precocks) or I wouldn’t of even considered a safety.

Comment

I think the 1911/hipower are the only handguns to get the manual safety right. everything else no. Keep it holstered in a good holster, don't fiddle around with it and you'll be fine. Gun is only going to fire if something pulls the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by MD2TX View Post
                    This always reminds me of a robbery video I saw once where a pawn shop owner and a criminal pull their guns on each other at the same time. The criminal had a revolver and the store owner had what looks like a Bersa pistol. The store owner in the heat of the moment doesn’t disengage the safety and the criminal shoots him. Luckily the guy lived but it’s just like the empty chamber debate if you think your going to have the time to rack the slide or click off the safety in the heat of the moment it probably won’t end well . Especially since the criminal is prepared for what he is about to do and the victim is caught off guard majority of the time.
                    I read a first hand account a few years back from a lawyer who was hanging out at his practice with his partners after hours. A guy walks up, pulls a gun and tells them to all get on the ground in an attempted robbery. The guy telling the story was carrying a 1911 in some form or another. He's on the ground watching the robber who has his back turned to him and decides to pull his gun. The bad guy actually heard the safety click, spun around and shot him.

He obviously survived and was able to get some rounds into the bad guy who was subsequently arrested, but I believe he said he would never carry a gun with a safety again. Obviously that is a freak incident and I don't think would ever be a factor in any other incident, but a crazy story none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                      I read a first hand account a few years back from a lawyer who was hanging out at his practice with his partners after hours. A guy walks up, pulls a gun and tells them to all get on the ground in an attempted robbery. The guy telling the story was carrying a 1911 in some form or another. He's on the ground watching the robber who has his back turned to him and decides to pull his gun. The bad guy actually heard the safety click, spun around and shot him.

He obviously survived and was able to get some rounds into the bad guy who was subsequently arrested, but I believe he said he would never carry a gun with a safety again. Obviously that is a freak incident and I don't think would ever be a factor in any other incident, but a crazy story none the less.
                      That's interesting. Never considered the sound might potentially be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post

That is about as believable as the M1 “clang” getting soldiers shot. Safeties aren’t that loud, and if you pull a gun, be ready to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                          That is about as believable as the M1 “clang” getting soldiers shot. Safeties aren’t that loud, and if you pull a gun, be ready to use it.
                          I think it was just his speculation that was why the guy turned around. Like I said I don't think it is actually a thing or should way into anyone's decision. Was just a crazy story.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                            Then you know how that safety is a positive lock and recessed.
                            My thinking is that I can keep it unlocked when it’s in the holster?

I have time to change my order today and maybe that’s why I keep rethinking it. LOL
                            I considered leaving the safety off while holstered, but was concerned that it would get kicked on, and I would expect it off when I needed it.

Personally, I don’t think there’s enough to get ahold of on the shield safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                              That's interesting. Never considered the sound might potentially be an issue.
                              I don't think it is. Was just sharing a crazy story relative to the topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X