No announcement yet.

Feeding Corn Year Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certain feed stores in Texas have a Roasted soybean/corn mixture available. It works fine in the feeders. They also have a corn and purple hull pea mixtures that work well. It just takes time to get them used to a change. If they are lacking natural browse and forbs especially winter months, they adapt more easily. You would have to do some research for the are of Texas you hunt to see what the feed stores offer. In the Brady,Coleman,Brownwood area where I manage several ranches we have a pelleted protein with pieces of corn in the actual pellet. They tear it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaredlee264 View Post
      Has doing this helped you any at all in Harvesting the mature bucks? I understand what your doing but I'm curious if there is any kind of advantage to that during season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yes it has it especially in archery season and in South Texas even into November before the rut. I feed corn in Sept about 10 minutes after daylight and then in evenings about 15 minutes before sunset. When feeding protein IME I have seen an upswing in feeder buck traffic in protein pens in October. They will eat protein and not walk away from corn if it is there. The corn feeder just allows me to target a "time" for them to show up. In the TC I see bucks in the feed pens in the dark hours and not there in daylight all summer long. When I switch the feed times to daylight feedings with the corn feeders I see the bucks starting to show up in the daylight hours. Younger bucks at first then all age classes as the temps cool off some. There are still the same bucks eating at night time also, they just come back for the corn. What effects it more than anything is rainfall or lack of it and mast crops or lack of them.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
        Is too much corn bad for deer in any way?
        Yes it could be under drought conditions and on rare occasion with high mast crops of acorns or persimmons IME. I have seen it happen in the Hill Country one year back in 1992 when we mixed corn/protein 50/50 for that year feeding free choice from Jan till Sept. Then had a huge persimmon crop followed by a really huge acorn crop(Shinnery, Live Oak and Post Oak) and we lost some deer. Took corn out of the mix and it stopped. Never had any issues in all the years following when feeding free choice protein year round and had same huge mast crops. You can also see foundering/hoof issue on deer getting to much corn in a drought. I have seen it worse in free choice feeders but also seen foundering once in LF deer in SW Texas living in feed pens around corn feeders in a drought back in the late 90's. What made it worse with the corn feeders was the amount of high winds blowing corn off the spinner plates. So some of the deer were eating basically free choice corn.
        For the most part corn is not going to be an issue though when feeding from a spin feeder in most areas of the state though. Just not enough is fed to become an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
          Yes it has it especially in archery season and in South Texas even into November before the rut. I feed corn in Sept about 10 minutes after daylight and then in evenings about 15 minutes before sunset. When feeding protein IME I have seen an upswing in feeder buck traffic in protein pens in October. They will eat protein and not walk away from corn if it is there. The corn feeder just allows me to target a "time" for them to show up. In the TC I see bucks in the feed pens in the dark hours and not there in daylight all summer long. When I switch the feed times to daylight feedings with the corn feeders I see the bucks starting to show up in the daylight hours. Younger bucks at first then all age classes as the temps cool off some. There are still the same bucks eating at night time also, they just come back for the corn. What effects it more than anything is rainfall or lack of it and mast crops or lack of them.

We feed protein Year round as well as corn. I never adjust the time or feed times on my slingers. I feel like we see the same deer during season as we see on TC over the summer. I've never even thought about purposely feeding at night except to draw hogs when we would ambush them at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaredlee264 View Post
            We feed protein Year round as well as corn. I never adjust the time or feed times on my slingers. I feel like we see the same deer during season as we see on TC over the summer. I've never even thought about purposely feeding at night except to draw hogs when we would ambush them at night.

I always use feed pens for all my feeders. I hate hogs so I let the neighbors feed them. I trap and shoot the few that I see so they are none issue for me. Rarely see them at water troughs on TC's, during hunting season or on the outside of my feed pens on the TC's.

Comment

We don't, but I feel like it would help alot if we did. But I don't want to have to fight coons all year long and deal with checking traps every day.

Comment

I usually just feed one of my corn feeders year round, just to keep them interested.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                  Is too much corn bad for deer in any way?
                  If that's all they have to eat. Yes it can hurt them

Comment

I feed corn year round on my east texas lease. Keeps the deer in my area.

Comment

I know protein is great for deer but is it really worth it on 40 acres with heavy pressure all around? What would be a cheaper alternative? I'm just trying to pull deer in and keep them there.

Comment

Run all our feeders year round.

Comment

You can't spin enough corn out of a feeder for it to be a significant part of their diet.

Comment

year round no harm

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              You can't spin enough corn out of a feeder for it to be a significant part of their diet.
                              Originally posted by GTXHUNTER88 View Post
                              year round no harm
                              So, it's not bad for them? They have so much other (natural) stuff to eat.

Comment

never fed year round, may consider it

Comment

Working...
                                X