Bazooka Tube sub help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bazooka Tube sub help

I have a 10" powered bazooka tube (built-in amp) and it has started cutting out. It will work fine for 5 seconds and cut out for 5 seconds. I can't figure out what's going on. Jiggling the plug doesn't help. Does anyone know if this is a common problem and/or and easy fix? I know it's a long shot. I honestly know next to nothing about subs and their wiring/installation. Any advice? I bought it new 2 years ago.

If it helps, the green light on the back of the sub stays on, so I think all power and ground connections are good. Could be wrong.

Comment

Amp probably has a loose connection in it or its just going out you could just buy a new amp and just wire it to the speaker in the tube and bypass the built in amp

Comment

I could be getting hot. Make sure you have a fan if its in a tight area.

Comment

Getting too hot is my guess as well.

Comment

I assume you have a big fuse inline with the power wire going to the battery? Check that connection and see if that is the cause. I had the plastic housing break on my main fuse and short out/heat up. The sub would work for a short period, cut out, then come back when it wanted to.

Heat was my second thought. Short in the amp is third.

Comment

It sounds like it is not getting enough power. You have to have a big wire running directly to the battery. Walmart sells a wiring kit for $20.

Comment

Try cleaning your power,ground and remote terminals with sand paper.

Comment

Thanks y'all, Ill look into these. Any other ideas? I don't think it's getting hot. It starts going in and out as soon as I turn the radio on.

The guy at best buy (who installed the sub 2 years ago) told me that the light will stay green if there are no internal problems, but will turn red if there are. That's all he would do for me, wouldn't even look at the sub...
                  Last edited by 30-30; 05-07-2013, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Originally posted by medic151 View Post
                      Getting too hot is my guess as well.
                      X3

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                        Thanks y'all, Ill look into these. Any other ideas? I don't think it's getting hot. It starts going in and out as soon as I turn the radio on.

The guy at best buy (who installed the sub 2 years ago) told me that the light will stay green if there are no internal problems, but will turn red if there are. That's all he would do for me, wouldn't even look at the sub...
                        Pretty typical for a place like Best Buy. They're more interested in the initial sale rather than helping down the road. It's probably more of a not knowing standpoint rather than being rude. Those type places only know how to box things up and send them back to the manufacturer. Not how to actually troubleshoot and service them.

Since you've checked the big fuse on the main power wire. I'm thinking this is head unit related if you aren't getting a red light, we can eliminate it being and amp, ground, or power wire problem. Could be the connection to the back of the head unit, or the Co-Ax cable connecting the head unit to the speaker. You may try at least looking at that connection or changing the Co-Ax cable.

Comment

Working...
                        X