No announcement yet.

Deer was shot under 13"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need one of those measuring tapes like you used to see for fishing where 6" is marked as 10"

Comment

Originally posted by keep View Post
      I got to think that this was the GW's way of stressing the importance without hitting them in the pocket book. I don't think the point would have hit home if he would have slapped the kid on the back and said good job, you're close but not quite there but it was a nice shot, good luck next weekend and try not to do it again. (I'm trying to give the gw the benefit of doubt)
      By him acting that way I bet the kid and dad will be very cautious next time. (not that they weren't this time) He may have just acted more upset than he truly was to make the kid understand. (I hope) I don't know of a GW that isn't tickled to death when a kid gets a deer.
      The key is not to ruin a kids experience...let's face it, the future of hunting & fishing is with the children who show an interest & a gw should know this & act accordingly. My feeling is there should have been a heart to heart and explanation of the importance of the 13" rule while still keeping the young-uns spirits up & congrats for a kill. We are alking about 1/4" that is near impossible to judge on the hoof.

I wasn't there so I don't know if the gw had reason to believe adult was in another violation....the actions just seemed excessive for the described offense & could leave some kids disheartened over what should have been a very positive hunting experience and not to mention the importance of the gw role with us as hunters.

There is an old saying that you never get a second chance to make a 1st impression. Not sure a 2 hour hold and intense search is the way to stamp a kids memory over such a petty infraction.

1/4"

Comment

Other states have issues too- dad just got back from Arkansas and had a huge old 4 pt in front of him but Couldn't shoot it because it didn't have at least 3 pts on one side. Huge heavy fork horn with no bt

Comment

Yeah...that will teach them to misjudge a deer by a quarter of an inch!

Comment

This is where I have issues with Antler Restrictions. How do you tell a kid that No you cannot shoot that buck, he is not big enough...
            It seems they are taking the sport out of hunting...
            I have had that conversation with my kid a few times. Its hard when they are waiting to get their first buck and one that is probably a little to narrow is feeding out in front of you. I just told my kid the law is the law and if we break that law that makes us no better than poachers. They get sad but they get over it. It's much better than other side of the coin where if you are lucky you just get lectured real good.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
              The first couple bucks I shot, I was a teenager and hunting alone. They were not 13" but might as well been 200" racks as excited as I was and just as proud! First couple yrs ihunted and got hooked I never saw a 13 " wide buck.... Would I still be hunting deer today had I not shot those bucks and got so hooked- probably not! I personally think there should be no antler restrictions for a child! Otherwise I support it! Hunting small low deer places and then telling a kid that finally sees a nice buck he ain't big enough is insulting to the hunting tradition/heritage
              Agree 100%

Comment

OK so great the kid got a deer. BUT by definition it was an illegal deer. The GW is paid to enforce ALL game laws at all times, and with that a certain level of discretion comes into play. Glad the GW allowed them to go without a citation, but why cry about 2 hours of lost time? Who is to say that if a person will shoot a deer that is not legal, there are not several other violations or potential violations? Obviously this youth is not a rookie if he is getting warned about incorrectly filling out the tag on the deer, which is another violation, but who is ultimately responsible for educating the youth in the correct and legal way to take animals, from start to finish? I put this all on the shoulders of the adult in the group for not paying closer attention to the details, and training the youths in the correct manner of taking animals, and documenting it.

So just in case someone comes along who just happens to be doing their JOB, everything is legal, and well within the requirements, and this thread doesnt happen. And Artos I would like to know which is more petty, 1/4 inch or incorrectly filling out the license log, because apparently both infractions happened, and neither was cited by the GW. And how many years does this go on until finally the hunter gets cited, and comes on here mad as a hornet saying "I been doing it like that for years, and nothing ever happened!"? Rules is rules, and however slight they may be broken, they can still be enforced!!

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                  I am not a big fan of challenging the law, but I have to think that a good lawyer might make a mess of that guy if he had ticketed the youth. If the deer was heavy horned as you say, and everything in the book was correct, then I'd have to think it was in excess of 13" too. I don't quite understand how someone can add a strict measurement to something that is to be estimated in real time.

I have been around measurements and woodworking my entire life. I can't see the difference between 12 3/4 and 13 without a ruler at 20 yards, much less rifle range. How do you guys actually tell? you have to estimate, based on factors that could vary slightly between animals, but you darn sure better be exactly right. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                    Rules is rules!!

may this statement follow you the rest of your days

Comment

it already does, thus no game violations....

Comment

Originally posted by greatwhite View Post
                        The book says " To determine if a buck has an inside spread measurement of at least 13 inches, look at the distance from ear-tip to ear-tip on a buck with ears in the alert position."

My question is: If you shoot a buck that has less than 13 inch inside spread but is outside the ears due to having smaller than average ears, is he legal?

On the flip side: If you shoot a buck that has more than 13 inch inside spread but is inside the ears due to having larger than average ears, is he illegal?
                        I would like to know as well...

Me personally, I will only go after a buck that is on the outside of the ears.

Comment

for youth weekend the 13 in rule should not be enforced (((thats just how I feel))) at that age a kid just wants to take a deer and they shouldnt have to worry about a tape measure

Comment

Well, it is just a way for anti-hunters to put another rope around our neck. Now we have to be experts at judging animals and take an exam before our license will be issued..........I can see it comin. What the hell is wrong with the America I used to know?!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
                              I personally think there should be no antler restrictions for a child!
                              Rifle hunting? = shoot them in the head = adjustable spread! Just kidding.

From a law enforcement perspecive, it would be difficult to enforce a "no spread limit" for kids, because, unfortunately, there will be some knuckle head that will shoot a buck and claim that it was his kid that shot it. Its too bad that rules have to be made for the lowest common denominator (folks who disregard the law), because everyone suffers, including the majority of folks who do obey the law.

Comment

Originally posted by 3pairs12 View Post
                                I have had that conversation with my kid a few times. Its hard when they are waiting to get their first buck and one that is probably a little to narrow is feeding out in front of you. I just told my kid the law is the law and if we break that law that makes us no better than poachers. They get sad but they get over it. It's much better than other side of the coin where if you are lucky you just get lectured real good.
                                I did the same while my son was waiting to pull #40. I expained the laws to him. He wasn't too happy at first, but he knew dad was right. It just made him work harder to accomplish a goal.

Comment

Working...
                                X