No announcement yet.

Guys who shoot both . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been toying with the idea of selling my Z2 with the intentions of picking up a heavier weight recurve. But i will more than likely stick with what i have now until i kill a few critters with my current model.

Comment

I'm not like some. I don't go to the blind or hike the timber and say I'm there to enjoy nature. Unless we're talking on a plate. If I'm there to hunt I'm there to kill something.

I'm willing to hunt deer and pigs with my trad set up because I'm confident in the ranges I'm set up at the feeders to do that.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm kicking around the idea of selling some guns to buy more bows...already sold my compound to help fund the bow I'm shooting now. I think I remember being told way back in the beginning that trad was "cheaper and simpler"!!

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
          I'm kicking around the idea of selling some guns to buy more bows...already sold my compound to help fund the bow I'm shooting now. I think I remember being told way back in the beginning that trad was "cheaper and simpler"!!

HA!
          I tried telling that to my wife...............

yeah, she was having none of it.

Comment

Yeah I don't think I'm that guy. First I only want one other one. Second I'm not sure I want to sell a gun to find it. I've already really trimmed my stock.

Comment

I have 9 trad bows and one compound, but I hunt with the compound. Due to 2 (well now 3 after 2 weeks ago) back surgeries and 2 bicep surgeries I need to shoot a bow with let off. I still break a recurve or longbow out once in awhile but I can only shoot 5-10 times and no way near enough that I would hunt with it. I have too much respect for animals to do that. I really miss hunting with my stickbows though.

Comment

I am at the point now where I am not likely to pay for a hunt unless I can hunt it with trad gear. I don't see trad as an excuse to lesser success, I see it as a handicap that may or may not come into play depending on how things unfold. Those with handicaps often work harder to lessen the impact. That is the approach I take. I hunt way harder now and honestly, it makes for a more enjoyable hunt... at least for me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I have killed somewhere around 90 deer and hogs with trad equipment give or take 10.

I developed target panic and took a compound to Africa have deer hunted with a compound the last three years.

I have changed my blind set up. Hunting the hill country and south Tx are different. I hope to use only my trad bows this coming season.

With a compound I have no fear of deer jumping the string out to 20 yds. With a recurve I have had deer jump at 15. I only shoot out to about 10-12 with a trad bow because of this even if I can hit further.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    I am at the point now where I am not likely to pay for a hunt unless I can hunt it with trad gear. I don't see trad as an excuse to lesser success, I see it as a handicap that may or may not come into play depending on how things unfold. Those with handicaps often work harder to lessen the impact. That is the approach I take. I hunt way harder now and honestly, it makes for a more enjoyable hunt... at least for me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
                    I'm going to keep working to get there. I wanna be that guy.

Comment

You'll get there DRT... I feel like you got a little too much bulldog in ya to not get there eventually! We have come to figure out through your posts that you have a tendency to get a little frustrated, and bent outta shape sometimes when fighting a problem with your trad bow. You even said so yourself But here's the thing, we ALL get that way to some extent during our "journey" to try and master this fickle sport. Anybody that says they haven't, just told a lie!! I have been "bow only" since '83, and traditional only since prob 2000, but have been shooting my trad bows since prob '88. My point with all those dates was just that that's a fairly long time, and I still have my moments where things just ain't going right. I got invited to hunt with two buddies in Kansas this year, and the 1st thing they asked was "you taking that longbow?". Uhhh, since that's all I got, yes, that's what I'll be taking! What their angle was, was what I mentioned in that earlier post... "what if ya see one too far for the ol stick?!" That's something that never even crosses my mind anymore, cuz I will setup to give me that 15 yd shot, and let the hunt play out. Kinda like what Scott said, but a hair different... I don't really feel like I've become a better hunter since going to strictly trad, but, I am way more meticulous bout my setups being as precise as possible to get me a good killin shot. So, I guess in that aspect, I have become better. But, the reality of it is, what makes anyone better at killin stuff with trad equipment is... TIME. Time spent doing it until you eventually become somewhat consistent at putting yourself in position to make a killing shot, followed by executing that shot. And even though we may differ abit in that you ain't really in it for the "nature experience" side of it, one thing I can say... The more game you have in close proximity to you, you will become a better hunter, simply because you have to do more things right to consistently get within 15 yds of critters. And I do know for a fact you learn more about those critters, which will eventually lead to you being more consistent at killin em! Sorry bout the minor "side-track" And also, most definitely aint saying you aint killed lotsa critters, cuz i figure you've killed PLENTY!! You're doing it right, just keep practicing, get your confidence level up, kill lotsa stuff, and it will take care of itself. But most of all, do what makes the hunt the most enjoyable to ya! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Nah, not much quit in me. And I've been shooting well the last few weeks. At least on the block.

Comment

DRT I sent you an email that was meant to be a PM about string maker Daniel POC.

Comment

I was working daylight til dark 30 the last three days. I wasn't able to show up at the job until 7 today because of the HOA codes so I had some light to shoot before leaving. Three shots at 20 yards and dropped two out of three in the 2" bull and one an inch out. Shot 3 more to make sure it was not just a fluke then went off for the day. Started my day right.

Comment

Recurve not compound. That's just sitting there being lonely.

Comment

Working...
                              X