Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make a homemade UTV Windshield??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I make a homemade UTV Windshield??

As you can see from the picture in my avatar I already have a partial window in place.

I would like to take some Plexiglas and add to what I have to make a full windshield.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Also where should I get the materials and about what is it going to cost me?

Lumber yards keep plexiglass. I would say see how thick yours is, go to Home Depot etc. and get a piece the size and thickness you need. Most places will even cut it for you. Id guess 20-30 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by mharris1 View Post
      Lumber yards keep plexiglass. I would say see how thick yours is, go to Home Depot etc. and get a piece the size and thickness you need. Most places will even cut it for you. Id guess 20-30 bucks.
      What are your suggestions for securing it? It think I have heard of using heavy duty zip ties but not sure.

Also, is it difficult to drill in to Plexiglas without it cracking? What type of bit is needed?

Thanks!!!

Comment

Im not sure what they are called, but Ive seen some clamp type things that would go around the roll bar that had an eye that would go on each side of the glass. Probably for securing conduit or pipe to a wall or something. Get you a good sharp bit, and lay the glass on a board and drill through into the wood. Go VERY slow with hardly any pressure. If you force it at all, it will crack.

Comment

Some of these the size of the pipe frame should work.I googled steel cushioned clamps and found them.Electrical supply stores should have them.
          Attached Files

Comment

Get you some 1/4 lexan and cut it wider than the roll bar and use those gray plastic u-clamps used to secure the gray PVC pipe. I have a friend that used the same brackets that Oceola posted. I got to warn you though putting on a windshield will create a vortex effect and suck dirt in from the rear. Don't ask me how I know. I built one 3 yrs ago for my mule and take it off when it warms up. Don't use anything but soapy water to clean the windshield and it will last for many years. I found my lexan at a glass shop that had some big pieces left over from a job.. Paid $50.00.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
              Get you some 1/4 lexan and cut it wider than the roll bar and use those gray plastic u-clamps used to secure the gray PVC pipe. I have a friend that used the same brackets that Oceola posted. I got to warn you though putting on a windshield will create a vortex effect and suck dirt in from the rear. Don't ask me how I know. I built one 3 yrs ago for my mule and take it off when it warms up. Don't use anything but soapy water to clean the windshield and it will last for many years. I found my lexan at a glass shop that had some big pieces left over from a job.. Paid $50.00.
              There is a aftermarket design that leaves a gap in between where my lower windshield is and the rest of the full windshield. The gap is supposed to nulify the dirt getting sucked in the back of utv

Comment

Let me know if that works. I would cut my windshield in half and leave a gap in it if it would cut down on the dust. Do you have a website,I would like to see how it is made?

Comment

We built one for our Mule. Worked good the first year or so but fiberglass is horrible about scratches from tree limbs and what not. Now you can't even see through it from the scratches especially when the sun hits em. We just leave it in the barn now...

Comment

utv-windshield

My buddy just built this one, He put a piece of wood between the glass and the utv and then put two pieces of angle between the wood and the plex-glass...
                    Hope this helps..
                    Attached Files

Comment

I had a buddy who put the industrial velcro on his.Just takes it off when traveling.Worked really well

Comment

Working...
                      X