running a ac 225 welder on a generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 wire to a 4 wire plug

I found the cap ends for the generator. My question now is = the cap end on the generator is a 4 wire round plug receptacle 30 amp. The cap end for the welding machine is a 3 wire triangle 50 amp end. how do I switch it from a 3 to a 4 , and if so what attachment do I not fill. Will the welding machine kick off the breaker of the 30 amp since its cap end is a 50 amp. Thanks for yalls help.

Comment

i tried to run the same machine off my generator and when i kept having problems i called linclon and was told that without the 50amp breaker and at least a 7800 running watt generator that it would not work.
      as soon as i made up a 100' cord to plug into the dryer plug-everything worked fine

Comment

I built a short extension cord for mine and it is working just fine. I have weld drill stem pipe and even built my shop with it. I am running my welder with a coleman generator. I made the extension cord so that I did not have to cut the original cord to the welder. If you need any more help let me know and I will give you instructions as to how I did it. Rude

Comment

Extension Cord

Rudeman,

I was researching to see if it was possible to run my Lincoln AC-225 welder with my 6800 Watt generator when I came across a thread that you had contributed the message above to.

Is it possible to get these instructions that you referenced?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
          Chadd Forgy

Comment

It does work. I was able to weld on mine without any problem

Comment

i run my linc 225 off a 5525 watt portor cable gen and have never had a problem

Comment

great thread!

Comment

Warrington, Did you build an extension cord to convert the 3 prong 50 amp to a four prong 30 amp?

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                    All you have to do is change the cord cap.
                    I'm trying to find an adapter or something similar to plug my welding power cable into so that it will plug directly into a dryer outlet. I dont really need a whole extension cord, i just want an adapter. is this what you are talking about here? where can i find some?

Thanks.

Comment

how about some pics and details I have the same issue

Comment

If it wouldnt be much of a problem I would like some step by step instructions and some pics so I could run my welder off my gen . Thanks

Comment

What about running the Lincoln 180hd wire feed off a generator?? What size generator? Any ideas before I hire an electrician to put a recepticle in the garage?? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                            I built a short extension cord for mine and it is working just fine. I have weld drill stem pipe and even built my shop with it. I am running my welder with a coleman generator. I made the extension cord so that I did not have to cut the original cord to the welder. If you need any more help let me know and I will give you instructions as to how I did it. Rude
                            I would like some instuctions on how to make up a short extension cord to run a ac225 off of a generator as well. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X