.223 shot placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GWilly View Post
    My first five or so deer when I was young and starting hunting were probably shot with .223 using heavy grained specialty bullets. To practice my dad would take me to shoot at a life size paper deer target. To make the shooting easier for me my dad told me to aim between the middle and back edge of the shoulder (gave me a big aim/kill zone to be confident). Just about every deer was shot right through the shoulder blades with an exit hole, recovered every one of them within 0-60 yards.
    Good to know. I’m probably way over thinking this (I have that tendency). Kid hasn’t missed the 8” target @ 100 yds in probably 150-200 straight shots spread out over 3 shooting sessions. I think I was hoping/expecting him to be shooting 2-3+” groups consistently. But he can for sure put it in a space smaller than the vitals consistently
    Last edited by Playa; 11-06-2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I'd go get the hornady black hollow points. 75 grain. Shoot him straight up the leg in the shoulder. 75 grainers have been THUMPING stuff for me.

Comment

With a cup/core bullet I’d put it through the heart/lungs. They can’t go far if they can’t breathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've killed many deer with a .222 & .223 shooting for the heart/lungs. As mentioned, some don't bleed much externally, but they never run more than 40 or so yards

Comment

Heart/lungs...

is where I shoot 'em with a .223. I use the Winchester 64 gr. Power Point and as siad above, they never run more than 30-40 yards.

Comment

I let one of my old girlfriends shoot a buck with my 223 using the 64gr Winchester loads. She got him right behind the shoulder and he went all off 15 feet. I have shot some with that 223 but I used 75 grain ammo for the energy and they shoot very well out of that rifle. Where Buff's pic shows the hole is where I would say to go for maybe a hair lower but right in the "V".

Comment

I have had these two pictures on my phone for years to show kids in the stand where they need to aim and most all have started out with 223 and 62 gr Fusions or 60gr Partitions. Put those bullets in those spots and you're golden.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                  I have had these two pictures on my phone for years to show kids in the stand where they need to aim and most all have started out with 223 and 62 gr Fusions or 60gr Partitions. Put those bullets in those spots and you're golden.
                  Thanks saving both of these.

I made a booklet for my son with images of the vital area and then a dozen broadside pics of deer. He took a marker and marked his aiming spot. It also had a series of quartering to/away images and pics of deer running and he had to decide shoot/don’t shoot

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    Thanks saving both of these.

I made a booklet for my son with images of the vital area and then a dozen broadside pics of deer. He took a marker and marked his aiming spot. It also had a series of quartering to/away images and pics of deer running and he had to decide shoot/don’t shoot
                    That a great idea, my daughter is getting ready to kill a deer this season and she will be using a .223 as well

Comment

He made it count, little over 50 yards, barely able to peel out before she collapsed!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CFD91D98-8C30-49D6-830B-C087110A93DF.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	24518901

Click image for larger version

Name:	4F32FA5F-DABC-4AC9-9B72-FA7DF86E2A0C.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	24518902

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                        Put it through both shoulders

223’s don’t leave much of a blood trail.
                        Ditto

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                          He made it count, little over 50 yards, barely able to peel out before she collapsed!
                          Congrats to the young man, that's awesome! Dilly...Dilly!

Comment

Looks like he did well! Congrats to you both!

Gotta a little guy were trying to do the same with a .223 and deer #1. How old is he?

Comment

Sierra game kings in 65 grains do a great job behind the shoulder or neck.

Comment

Heck yeah! He sure looks happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X