• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waste of time. IMO

Comment

Acorns are dropping like flies in Montgomery county

Comment

In 2011 I found a lady on Craigslist who stated she had eleven 1 gallon buckets full of acorns for free. So I went over there to pick them up. Come to find out, this lady was a tree hugger. She asked what I was going to use them for. So I told her the truth, kinda. I was going to take them to the woods and feed the wildlife.

Well, she wasn’t too bright. Those 1 gallon buckets were actually 5 gallon buckets!! My dad and I threw some acorns out the day before we hunted. Let’s just say it worked, EXTREMELY WELL!! 4 does came to my Dad’s blind. Dropped one, and 2 bolted but one just stood there so she got dropped too. As we drug them back to field dress them, the other 2 kept coming back to the acorns. I tried to get a shot off but taking a free hand shot after humping it for 1/2 mile and dragging 2 does, I missed. Those acorns sure worked good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          In my case that would mean because we have a total of 5 oak trees on 7000 acres where I hunt, but here in town I 'live' with 2 big oaks in my front yard that can choke the grass out with acorns and fuzz.

Having said that...I am too lazy to collect them like the OP
          Maybe a shop vac...
          Or a spent casing collector....

Comment

I collect them every year and throw them out. The deer kill em. There are no oaks where I hunt but where I live there are large oaks on either side of me. I suck them up with a shop vac and haul them to the blind in 5 gallon buckets. Works like magic

Comment

If you do this make sure you dont put them in an airtight container. My dad did this one year and put them in 5 gallon buckets with lids and put them in 55 gallon lawn and leaf bags that were tied shut, and they both rotted and fermented. Smelled like a brewery when you opened them up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                Waste of time. IMO
                How so? It works. The deer love them, and prefer to eat them over pretty much anything. He said he can get 50 lbs worth. Putting acorns out is a great idea.

Comment

I tried it with a big white oak on my place. Shop vac them up big waste of time for me

Comment

I used to get them from a spanish oak in my Dad's yard. Don't feed them until after the acorns are all gone. They really draw the deer in late in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                      Since deer prefer acorns to corn. Would it make any sense to gather acorns and then throwing them in the feeder pen? (acorning, versus corning) I thought if you hunted the blind/feeder pen for several days, maybe the deer would stay longer in the pen during the rut. I live next to several live oaks that are raining down acorns and it would be easy to collect 50# before we go hunting.
                      I have not tried that for deer yet, but we did for hogs. It worked very well. My mother has some oak trees that produce some very large acorns. She also has a lot of pecan trees. She has some tools for collecting pecans, we found they work very well for those large acorns also. So I went out picked up about two 5 gallon buckets of acorns, then dumped them in her pasture. We had the hogs coming in regularly, till I shot a couple of them. After I shot two, they never came back. They had been cleaning up the acorns. I would assume it would work with deer also, not sure how well it would work in areas, where there area lot of trees dropping acorns.

Comment

I tried it. And, it did not work. Even the hogs did not touch them.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                          Yes, they work great. If you have a place you can easily collect them I recommend it over corn. Even better if you can freeze them to save for late season when all the acorns are gone.
                          Hmmmmm...may have to give this a try. Sounds like a reasonable idea

Comment

I've had mixed success with it. I have 20+ oaks in my front yard so I have a lot. I usually give my kids some quart ziplock bags and have them fill some up then throw the bags in the freezer. I wait until Dec to put them out. One time it will work, next time it won't. No real success pattern.

The years it seems to work best are when I remember to use the tree spike fertilizers but I haven't done it consistently enough to say it's a sure thing but I think it helps. Definitely doesn't hurt.

The tree next to my driveway is dropping like crazy. I have a lot in the bed of my truck. Will sweep those out next weekend at the lease and see what happens.

Comment

I used to stake a tarp under my oaks in the yard for a week or 2. Deer did eat them but it didn't really change anything.

Comment

I have used Pecans and they were gone in no time.

Comment

Working...
                                X