Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease Ride Upgrade - Jeep Truck

1991 Jeep Comanche

Hola Green Screen! Some of this is backdated a bit but wanted to start a new off season thread.

I've been ready to get started with some work to my "new to me" lease ride. Had to finish up a project on my Sonoma 4x4 and took it back out to the lease and its driving great. So here we go with a probable upgrade!

I've wanted a Comanche since I was a kid cruising around our hunting lease with my brother in our uncle's 4x4 daily driver Comanche.

3 years ago I bought a cheap GMC Sonoma for our hunting ranch and that truck taught me how to weld, rust repair and to start understanding some mechanical work on vehicles. Rust stinks but man that 4.3L engine started everytime. Fast forward to about August 2017, frame rot got the best of her and the steering gear completely broke loose. Brought her home and began working on the fix. In the mean time I knew it was time to upgrade to a jeep truck.

Started a local search for a Comanche and found one on Craigslist in Houston and reached out by phone and email but never heard back from the dealer/owner (to their credit, this was weeks after hurricane Harvey and his business could have been lost, I don't know) So the search expanded and I found my '91 in West Virginia, dealt with the owner, agreed and had it transported back to Houston. Here's what she's working with...
    1991 Sportruck 4.0L H.O.
    4x4 Automatic
    73,000 miles
    Short bed
    231 transfer case
    2" coil spacers
    Dana 30 & 35 with 3.55 gears
    Bench seat
    Vinyl floor mat
    Some moderate surface rust

Some issues..
    Outer window seals are rotted away, last hard rain had 1/4" of water in both floor boards
    Brakes are fairly weak but definitely functional
    Power Steering pump is whiney
    Possible rust repair needed in floor pans, nervous about pulling the mat up
    Shift indicator needle is gone.. I want to replace that for sure
    Speedo isn't working
    Driver side door sag just a bit
    Pillar lights or door jamb switch not working

With that said, this MJ starts and runs awesome. 4x4 engages and works really well. It has so much more pep and acceleration and handling than my Sonoma. The engine is strong and the truck is light!

Future plans..
    This will need to handle off road as it will be my primary hunting truck. However, it's in good shape so I'm going to make sure its road ready too. Here are a few plans...

Fix outer window seals.. water in cab is ungood!
    Fix the Jeep emblem
    Ford 8.8 axle swap, spring over
    Regear Dana 30 to 4.10 with a TrueTrac
    Add frame stiffeners
    Upgraded HD steering
    A suspension lift
    285/75/16s
    Upgraded front bumper
    Load sensing valve delete, not hooked up anyway currently
    95/96 Cherokee brake booster & MC swap
    Possible switch to bucket seats
    Possible switch to carpet
    Radiant barrier / sound deadening mat of some type
    Window tint

Got started with my first project, a complete flush of the power steering, helped some with the whining but didn't completely fix.

This Comanche is awesome already and I'm pumped to make it even more capable for what we need and lots of fun along the way. I hope you all like it and I hope I can reach out with questions and advice. I'm no expert and have spent just as much on tools as the project itself.

Here's "The H.O." it's been given as a trial nickname that might stick or it can earn another.

Pics to follow..
    Last edited by rosco11; 07-10-2018, 10:25 PM.

Here are some pics...

Comment

Their worth money unmolested. I think you would be better served to sell it for profit rather than beat it up

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
        Their worth money unmolested. I think you would be better served to sell it for profit rather than beat it up
        The previous owner already made quite a few mods and repairs.. i have an idea of what a truck like this is capable of and a total coolness factor (to me atleast).. gonna work hard on it to make it a keeper.. I've wanted one of these since i was a kiddo.. I'm probably not interested in selling even though they are semi rare and the 1991 and 1992s even more rare.. i think they only made ~1700, 4x4, autos in 1991
        Last edited by rosco11; 07-10-2018, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Wanting to upgrade the Dana 35 axle to be able to handle larger tires and some offroading.. We set out on a search and finally found a donor. Bought a junkyard Ford 8.8 limited slip with 4.10 gears and discs from a '99 Eddie Bauer Explorer

My brother helped me bring it home. Wrapped it up and will keep it on the side of the garage till it's time to dig into it

Comment

That’ll be a good one to use in Rocksprings!

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
              That’ll be a good one to use in Rocksprings!
              Heck yeah man.. I'm so fired up! My Sonoma is capable for sure, but I've always wanted a Comanche! Its gonna be a lot of work, i want to make it road ready and very offroad ready! I'll pass on the Sonoma to my dad so he'll have a 4x4 to use and maybe sell it one day.

Comment

I can't wait to hear your dad complain about you taking over his garage again. If u guys need welding help again on this 1, hit me up. It'll require lots of welding fluid though... ��

Comment

so jealous...

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter View Post
                    I can't wait to hear your dad complain about you taking over his garage again. If u guys need welding help again on this 1, hit me up. It'll require lots of welding fluid though... ��
                    Haha! You nailed it.. he'll probably get funked a bit! But i always clean and organize his garage way better than i find it so maybe that will help! We always have plenty of welding fluid on hand!

Comment

My buddies brother built this for his company.... Cool example to get excited about!

http://www.fourwheeler.com/events/17...017-tensema17/

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanm View Post
                        My buddies brother built this for his company.... Cool example to get excited about!

http://www.fourwheeler.com/events/17...017-tensema17/
                        Yeah man, that's a really cool Manche! I've seen it several times while shopping on JCRs website.. I'll be funding some of their next project with my build spend..lol. they make great stuff and i plan on several items from them!

Comment

Hit a sale a few weeks ago.. pulled the trigger on Mickey Thompson MTZs 285 75 16s with Pro Comp 16" wheels.. I'd been following a few online retailers for tires and I thought based on price I was gonna get the BFG km2s when the right sale hit they were about a hundred less than the Mickey Thompson's, watched these prices each weekend or so for 3 months and then the best sale hit and Mickey Thompson's dropped a deal and I jumped on it.. for our rocky and unforgiving southwest Texas hunting ranch, quality tires are a must.. we've seen many many good all terrains and mudders lay flat when they can't handle the mesquite thorns and cactus. Can't wait to get these mounted up!

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                            Yeah man, that's a really cool Manche! I've seen it several times while shopping on JCRs website.. I'll be funding some of their next project with my build spend..lol. they make great stuff and i plan on several items from them!
                            They make some cool stuff for sure! It's a great place to spend your money. All American made parts. I've known the family most of my life. Literally started in a garage and worked night and day to build the company.

Comment

Good little truck. That 4.0 is a beast and easy to work on. I had one in a Jeep and I never felt under powered.

Comment

Working...
                              X