Official Lake Whitney And Aquilla 2017-2018 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmac19 View Post
    Not a fan of them either, IMO if your not disabled you should use a bow.
    I agree - saw I guy shooting a crossbow bow unzip the top of a fawn opening day last year. From the top of her tail to between her shoulders. Was a steep quartering away shot and he shot high. Crossbow was loud as heck. Just cut the skin.......terrible.
    Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 09-11-2017, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Find you a couple of trees, there are no secret spots out there and best way to not be disappointed is to have a back up plan. Stay flexible and good luck...and unless you like company I wouldn't name specific units you are hunting

but you are on the right track, all of the deer are over at Whitney

Comment

Yes, no deer at Lake A. Don't waste your time....

Comment

Originally posted by WhitneyLakerat View Post
          Find you a couple of trees, there are no secret spots out there and best way to not be disappointed is to have a back up plan. Stay flexible and good luck...and unless you like company I wouldn't name specific units you are hunting

but you are on the right track, all of the deer are over at Whitney
          No secret spots anymore - I believe they did exist once upon a time, somewhere between the transition from shotgun to archery. Those where the golden years........oh how I miss those days.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
            No secret spots anymore - I believe they did exist once upon a time, somewhere between the transition from shotgun to archery. Those where the golden years........oh how I miss those days.
            That made me stop and reminisce about all my early years down there.
            , up and through 2007. I've had a great time utilizing all the resources on both lakes. Even back before Aquilla went Type II (aka today as a APH permit.)

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by SlabHappy View Post
              Does anyone on here hunt out at H7? Went out there Friday and found me a good tree, with a lot of tracks. Gonna go put some corn out next weekend. Sorry guys.....will be hunting this year with my xbow.... I'm a pretty good shot with it, to 60 yards, but it's just until I get more confident in shooting my Deploy.
              I'm giving it a shot this year I've got me a trophy rock out and I put some corn out the other day here's hoping we both get one

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                I agree - saw I guy shooting a crossbow bow unzip the top of a fawn opening day last year. From the top of her tail to between her shoulders. Was a steep quartering away shot and he shot high. Crossbow was loud as heck. Just cut the skin.......terrible.
                I don't usually chime in on the Xbow discussions but I guess I'm feeling frisky tonight.

I've never shot one, don't know much about them either. I don't foresee myself using one but I can't say what the future will hold for me. I prefer a longbow. Just my preference and it doesn't make me better or worse than the next hunter.

Just wanted to say however that the event you witness with a crossbow I've seen more times than I care to think about by people using compounds, recurves, longbows and even firearms. It isn't the weapon nearly as much as the hunter and his/her preparedness and competence.

Off my soap box for now. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by coop View Post
                  I don't usually chime in on the Xbow discussions but I guess I'm feeling frisky tonight.

I've never shot one, don't know much about them either. I don't foresee myself using one but I can't say what the future will hold for me. I prefer a longbow. Just my preference and it doesn't make me better or worse than the next hunter.

Just wanted to say however that the event you witness with a crossbow I've seen more times than I care to think about by people using compounds, recurves, longbows and even firearms. It isn't the weapon nearly as much as the hunter and his/her preparedness and competence.

Well put coop!

Comment

I shot a crossbow a couple years back at one of my BH Ed courses, it was a xbow that belonged to TPWD. Loud, heavy, and a pain in the butt.

A few weeks back in another one of our classes one of the guys had his Xbow, it was quieter than a Hoyt compound, and noticeably fast, looked easy to use, had a way to unload/release the string (swear-filter approved), etc.

IMO, it's all up to the shooter, doesn't matter what equipment- if it's a bad shot, it's a bad shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                      IMO, it's all up to the shooter, doesn't matter what equipment- if it's a bad shot, it's a bad shot.
                      I agree. That's why I am not hunting with my bow this year. Don't want to use it untill confident with placement to 40 yards. I do have a shoulder injury (4 plts and 16 screws) so if medical permit required, probily could get one, but bows are funner. Bought the Deploy after shooting my 7yr olds recurve with her one night for about 3 hrs. Bought her an Apprentice, and hopefully will get her out there with me in a few years. I'm fairly new to deer and hog hunting, but I've done homework, and a little scouting of a few spots. The tree I picked wasn't in H7, just was curious. I know about Lake X and Y.....and plan to get my first deer this season to shut my wife up on all the money I've spent on hunting stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by SlabHappy View Post
                        I agree. That's why I am not hunting with my bow this year. Don't want to use it untill confident with placement to 40 yards. I do have a shoulder injury (4 plts and 16 screws) so if medical permit required, probily could get one, but bows are funner. Bought the Deploy after shooting my 7yr olds recurve with her one night for about 3 hrs. Bought her an Apprentice, and hopefully will get her out there with me in a few years. I'm fairly new to deer and hog hunting, but I've done homework, and a little scouting of a few spots. The tree I picked wasn't in H7, just was curious. I know about Lake X and Y.....and plan to get my first deer this season to shut my wife up on all the money I've spent on hunting stuff...
                        Take it from someone who's been hunting for a long time and been married for 19 years… it still won't shut her up about it because after you get one you'll want another and spend more money to get him

Comment

Originally posted by coop View Post

I agree with that, but I also think a certain "type" of hunter is more drawn to using a crossbow than a compound.....if you know what I mean.....

Comment

I know there are plenty of proficient, ethical hunters out there using crossbows. No doubt. But some are not.

Comment

OK guys here we Go! For this seasons opener on the 29th of September I will start cooking on the smoker for Friday night dinner. For those that made it last year it will be at PLOWMAN CREEK CAMPGROUND . We eat about 730 or 1930 for you in the military. Texas Grown, razorback,buckshot,Chino,coop, webstertroy,Ender, Homegrown justindfw and anyone else that wants to join us is welcome (that means also the ones who are new to this wonderful place we hunted. BYOB YOUR OWN CHAIRS ALSO not just the guys but your better half also. The camp site will be up on the hill just ask for the Ochoa campsite. There will be brisket, pork button and sausage. If your coming let me know, if you work with Kennyb let him know.
                              I hope to see all for a good round of fellowship and story telling.

Comment

Do I need to pay to get in?

Comment

Working...
                                X