Fishing guide tip question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
    Why tip? They are all overpriced like everything else. They average $95-$100 an hour. And they usually do 2 trips a day. Do the math. Wish I made that per day. B realistic guys.
    Things must be different down on the coast. I know a few bass guides and they don't even gross that much.

Comment

Why tip? They are all overpriced like everything else. They average $95-$100 an hour. And they usually do 2 trips a day. Do the math. Wish I made that per day. B realistic guys.
      Then do it. Too many people like you that love to talk **** but don’t have the drive to actually do anything, which is exactly why you’re bitter & bitching about it on the internet.

Comment

For you guys that don't believe in tipping.

Depending on where your fishing take into account the price of fuel for the boat, truck and bait. Yes I said truck because sometimes you have to go way out of the way of where your fishing to get the bait. Heck it doesn't take long for a couple tourista's to burn through a few dozen croaker. At 10-12 bucks a dozen you do the math.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
          For you guys that don't believe in tipping.

Depending on where your fishing take into account the price of fuel for the boat, truck and bait. Yes I said truck because sometimes you have to go way out of the way of where your fishing to get the bait. Heck it doesn't take long for a couple tourista's to burn through a few dozen croaker. At 10-12 bucks a dozen you do the math.
          They can do the math and add to their total daily rate?..

Comment

I’ve fished my whole life all over the world with all different kinds of people. I’ve never even considered not tipping the quide if their gear is in order and they give a good effort. I’ve been on trips where the guide didn’t get a tip but that was because of a lack of effort or preparation. I WANT them to make money and be very successful so I can back with them!! No matter what you do 95-100$ an hour gross.. nets much smaller.... I know this from experience!

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
              They can do the math and add to their total daily rate?..
              Ok, then for special customers their rate is $2k per trip. I’ve already started that special customer list.

Comment

Wife and son went to lake calichowuspellit over spring break. Weather got them the first day and the guide was already booked to leave for Florida the following day. The guide found another for same rate. Weather got that one also.

Yeap, guide number 3 located an hour away. Dude trailered to another part of the lake and took them. They limited on reds on artificial and kept fishing.

The guy they fished with was outstanding, let my son do whatever he wanted and had a blast. All the while the 2 other guys kept in touch to make sure the trip was good.

One got a fat tip and all got reviews on their fb and websites.

If we go back I know who we're calling

Props to Ben with get reel charters!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Quackerbox; 03-26-2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  yall sound like great customers!

The last paid trip I went on lasted 3 days with 2 full days of fishing. 2 deckhands (one that cooked 3 meals a day) and the 1 captain. I paid for 4 spots on the boat for my family and tipped the crew another 500 bucks.

Everything about the trip was that good and each crew member busted their tail to make sure it was a trip of a lifetime. Good enough guys I remain in contact with them to this day. That was coming up on 3 years ago.

That said everyone here knows boats, insurance etc aint cheap. If the guide earns a tip hes getting a good one

X2! Their tip is a reflection of how much they bust their butt, even on the best days though sometimes the fish win.

Comment

I had a guide on a 6 hour trip down in the jetties of Galveston. The guy was a real @$$hole. He would just talk trash to us the whole 6 hours...but it came across as locker room talk so one guy was getting razzed but the other 3 are laughing at him. He was some cajun, could hardly understand a word he said. But for the four of us, if we lost our bait, a new shrimp was on the hook in about 5 seconds. He said he would put us on the four biggest bull red's that anyone caught when we went back to shore, and sure enough, we had the four biggest one's out of anyone who took a trip that day. We were also 4 shy of our sheepshead limit.

He got 25% which came out to $200 as everyone put in an extra $50. For the whole trip, it was $250 a person and worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                      Ok, then for special customers their rate is $2k per trip. I’ve already started that special customer list.
                      Yep you definitely remember the names and are booked solid the next time they call!

Comment

What you don’t see is getting up at 2-3 in the morning to catch bait if you fish live bait. The times spent scouting and finding fish( not getting paid). After the trip if they run doubles they still have to clean boat, retie lines, fix what was broken and get things ready for next day. More goes on than people think.

Comment

Hey bk913- it’s dumb ..... like you that cause these kind of prices. Keep on paying them and maybe they’ll increase some more. This is the exact reason that a $600 a gun deer lease 10 years ago is now $2000 a gun. Why? Cause dumb ..... like you kept on paying the higher asking prices and these ranchers caught on real quick. Bitter and bitching? Yeah you d... right I am. So you go ahead and keep condoning and paying every price increase on fishing, hunting, or whatever, and then maybe someday we will all hit the lotto and be able to hunt and fish with you.....

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
                            My son and I are going on a 4 hour fishing trip out of Kemah this weekend and I have no idea how much to tip. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
                            Mike
                            Who did you book?

Comment

Hey bk913- it’s dumb ..... like you that cause these kind of prices. Keep on paying them and maybe they’ll increase some more. This is the exact reason that a $600 a gun deer lease 10 years ago is now $2000 a gun. Why? Cause dumb ..... like you kept on paying the higher asking prices and these ranchers caught on real quick. Bitter and bitching? Yeah you d... right I am. So you go ahead and keep condoning and paying every price increase on fishing, hunting, or whatever, and then maybe someday we will all hit the lotto and be able to hunt and fish with you.....
                              You don’t have to hit the lotto... just go to work.!
                              Or buy your own boat to go fishin and hunt public land!! Nothing wrong with that either.

Doesnt make sense to complain about skilled professionals that work just as hard as anyone and want to charge for it. The mechanic that works on your car or the plumber that cleans out your toilet aren’t any more deserving of a solid living then fishing guides.

To the OP I’d tip them 15-25%

Comment

Something else or at least the stripers guide on Buchanan, fishing season begins In March and starts dying of in August and is over opening weekend of deer season. During those months most only fish 3-4 days a month. They have to make hay when it rains.

Comment

Working...
                                X