X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell in the fall and buy in the spring.

Spend the winter sitting by the fire.

Comment

If you buy another bull, make sure he’s STD checked or you could have decreased pregnancy rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
        I agree with you, but I don’t have the time to check on calving heifers every day.

My best experience lately was from a heard of pairs and bread cows I bought that were on the same bull. I had zero issues with calving and could continue to check them 1-2 times per week.

I’m sure I’ll try raising heifers, but I’ll have to be retired first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        I hear ya! Luckily for me i have enough pastures right now i can keep all my heifers in the pasture by the house and i can check them before and after work. Also I have a flexible schedule so that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          That's my opinion, too, since I know my property is long term. I am so tired of paying $1500+ for heifers and after a year I only have half because of genetic health issues or they didn't breed. The last set of 8 I bought I only have 4 left. One shed a calf at 4 months and didn't rebreed, 1 ran through my pens, 1 didn't breed at all, and one's hooves disintegrated due to severe screw claw. Literally fell apart like wet chalk.

Out of the 4 that remain - one rebreeds late (as in every 14-16 months, not 11-12 months) and she is a dangerous witch when she has a calf. I'll be selling her soon. So 3 years after buying these 8, I'm down to 3 that are worth the money I paid. And that's just one set that I've bought in the last 4 years. We won't talk about the other set.

From the 10 heifers I've kept over the last 6 years, only 1 was sold because she didn't breed. The rest are healthy, rebreed quickly, grow a good calf and are docile.
          Sounds all to familiar.

Problem with buying cows from an unkown unless its a herd sell out their are to many brokers just buying cows to know what your getting.

For instance i know a guy that goes to every sale in a 100mile radius of us every week. He has about 10 pastures with different types of cattle in them. He goes around and buys 1-10 head at a time at sells and gets them all matched up with what he has then sells lots of 20-50 head at a time.

Well half of what you buy may be open or had calving problems or prolapsed its like a bag of tricks you never know what your going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
            Sounds all to familiar.

Problem with buying cows from an unkown unless its a herd sell out their are to many brokers just buying cows to know what your getting.

For instance i know a guy that goes to every sale in a 100mile radius of us every week. He has about 10 pastures with different types of cattle in them. He goes around and buys 1-10 head at a time at sells and gets them all matched up with what he has then sells lots of 20-50 head at a time.

Well half of what you buy may be open or had calving problems or prolapsed its like a bag of tricks you never know what your going to get.
            That's what got me the first time! Luckily I only lost 2 out of the 15 I bought. I learned my lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
              Sounds all to familiar.

True, we've been stung by "breeders" and by Jordan Auctioneers.

The aforementioned heifer we bought with screwclaw real bad - we returned her for our money back and the "breeder" said she would either just keep her and use her or find someone who wasn't so picky. Really? Does she really think that someone won't care that the dang cow can't stand much less walk? And why in the heck would you keep that for breeding??

Comment

In a lease situation I don't see any upside to keeping heifers.

Comment

The aforementioned heifer we bought with screwclaw real bad - we returned her for our money back and the "breeder" said she would either just keep her and use her or find someone who wasn't so picky. Really? Does she really think that someone won't care that the dang cow can't stand much less walk? And why in the heck would you keep that for breeding??
                  No kidden best thing to do is send her to the sale barn or freezer.

Comment

Where was this breeder located?

Comment

That's why you keep your best heifers, i had one last year that got sizzortoe. She finished off nicely and is in the deep freeze right now!

Comment

I’m learning some new stuff. Heards and bread cows. I’m gonna sail my heard and buy me some bread cows.

Comment

Originally posted by Timemachine View Post
                          Are you going to offer day hunts?

(sorry....my bad)
                          Cattle aren't that fun to hunt

Comment

A lot depends on your genetics, feed situation, immediate and future income targets . . .

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              I’m learning some new stuff. Heards and bread cows. I’m gonna sail my heard and buy me some bread cows.
                              You should!! A heard of bread cows comes pre- packaged with the buns for your hamburgers.

Comment

I’d sell the heifers and buy you a good set of bred cows, if your paying for the land lease this will help you get a paycheck quicker

Comment

Working...
                                X