X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
    Noob question
    What's a battery desulfator?
    See this link for an explanation: http://www.batteryminders.com/avoid-battery-sulfation/

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post

Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
        Noob question
        What's a battery desulfator?
        Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
        after this review that i read, not sure ill be getting it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	24486907

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
          Anybody out there have one on their cart?

Seems like a great idea. Several videos out there about it. Would be nice to have when you are really using your cart all day.

Sure I’ve had a couple for years. One is (3) 230 watt panels at around 120vdc going to a mppt charge controller that reduces it to 36 volts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
            Anybody out there have one on their cart?

Seems like a great idea. Several videos out there about it. Would be nice to have when you are really using your cart all day.

The other is a 48v EZ-GO Express S4 HO, (2) 320 w panels for a total of 640 watts. Also has a Morningstar MPPT charge controller converting about 90vdc off the roof to the voltage required to charge a 48vdc battery bank.

The MPPT chargers cost more but they can find the sweet spot between voltage and amperage and have 3 stage charging (bulk, absorb and float).

I never plug in either of these carts and drive them around on 15 acres, sometimes pulling heavy loads.

The mistake most people make is not putting enough solar up there. Although on my next one (kind of a hobby) I’m going to use about 300 watts of the flexible modules and see how that does.

With the larger arrays I use roll cages as you can see to provide a sturdy enough frame. The frames that hold up the plastic roofs are too flimsy. They should work with the flexible panels tho.

Comment

I had forgotten all about this post. Cool looking carts

Comment

Originally posted by sjohnsun View Post
                The other is a 48v EZ-GO Express S4 HO, (2) 320 w panels for a total of 640 watts. Also has a Morningstar MPPT charge controller converting about 90vdc off the roof to the voltage required to charge a 48vdc battery bank.

The MPPT chargers cost more but they can find the sweet spot between voltage and amperage and have 3 stage charging (bulk, absorb and float).

I never plug in either of these carts and drive them around on 15 acres, sometimes pulling heavy loads.

The mistake most people make is not putting enough solar up there. Although on my next one (kind of a hobby) I’m going to use about 300 watts of the flexible modules and see how that does.

With the larger arrays I use roll cages as you can see to provide a sturdy enough frame. The frames that hold up the plastic roofs are too flimsy. They should work with the flexible panels tho.

How much $$ would you typically have tied up in one of these setups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Full disclaimer I have not used this product but I have a couple of their smaller 12 watt panels to charge batteries for portable ham radio operations. They are very flexible and durable even if punctured due to their series/parallel configuration.

We offer a line of standard products including Foldable Solar Panels, Rollable Solar Panels, LightSaver Portable Solar Chargers, and more.

Last edited by LWolken; 12-25-2017, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Around $1500 depending on where you start.
                    MPPT Charger w remote display, so it can be mounted where you can easily see it, $500 (PWM Charger is $50-$100), Panels $350 to $750
                    Wire, fuses, Unirac, etc, $50-$75.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Mike,

Update on cost. I’m designing a more affordable system that could hopefully be down around $500 (Just my target). Instead of using a MPPT charger I’ll use a PWM (pulse wave modulated) Charger which is much less expensive. Also there are a lot of surplus modules around now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am currently running flexible panels on our RV. They look awesome (can’t see them from the ground) but I only realize @ 50% now in year two. The only drawback is that they cannot breathe and cool properly thus it degrades that much quicker.

Comment

Thanks for post. Yes that’s the problem with those type. What brand module is it?

Comment

Thanks for post. Yes that’s the problem with those type. What brand module is it?

Missouri Wind and Solar. I have found they are not the least expensive but they have everything I need in one place and their customer service is great. Our next RV will run the same panels but I will go with a charge controller-inverter in one and use our MidNite Classic on a wind turbine at the coast. Quality lithium ion batteries are the biggest expense in any DC platform though but that’s worthy of a thread in and of itself.

Comment

If you’re running out of battery that often you might consider getting away from electric. We have one one battery powered and one gasoline. Use the gas vehicle when we runnin all day long or hauling heavy loads.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                                If you’re running out of battery that often you might consider getting away from electric. We have one one battery powered and one gasoline. Use the gas vehicle when we runnin all day long or hauling heavy loads.

I’ve never run mine down, but I have 640 watts on top charging at up to 11 amps. Gauge is always full as it charges every day. Full battery is good for 18 miles (says ezgo), I’m going to test it soon. Mine is governed at 12 mph, instead of 18-20 mph because all use is off road and get more torque. I have 2 trailers for work around 15 acres. Haul rock, dirt, firewood etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X