Picking a new bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking a new bow

I am looking at getting a new bow. I started shooting about a year and half ago with my dads hoyt enticer he shot in the 90s. I've really enjoyed shooting, and after shooting my first hog this past season. I've decided it was time to upgrade to something newer.

I am wanting something between 50-70 lb draw (any range in there) with a 29-30inch draw length. Also something with shorter axle to axle would be preferable to be more compact.

You hear a lot about Matthews, and other big name brands, but I wanted yall's opinions and what yall are shooting.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

go to your local pro shop and start shooting. let the bow pick you. do not look at the brand. brand doesn't matter

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
      go to your local pro shop and start shooting. let the bow pick you. do not look at the brand. brand doesn't matter
      Exactly! Don't be a brand shooter. Go to a decent pro shop that handles the majority of bows. Shoot EVERYONE of them that matches your buying criteria. Have the tech set up the poundage and draw length to the same specs. on every bow you shoot. You will be very surprised what you discover. I shot 7 bows before I purchased mine. And the one I bought was not even on my "list" of the bow I thought I wanted.

Comment

Yessir ! Shoot 'em all and then buy an Elite !

Comment

I have a Mathews Chill R and absolutely love it! Smooth and fast!

Comment

Just as a side note to my first post. I went in to buy a Mathews and left with a Hoyt. Again, shoot em all, then buy the one that shoots and feels the best in your hand. It's your money, don't buy something that someone else says you should shoot, unless of course they want to pay for it.

Comment

^Solid advice. Buy based on comfort and feel. Not everyone gets an new bow every season. Think about the long haul!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                Yessir ! Shoot 'em all and then buy an Elite !
                HAHA yep

Comment

I'm not a brand shooter as I have all the brands in my stable right now. That being said I love my Elite. The backward and let off is incredible. It isn't the fastest bow in my line up but it's definitely the easiest of all to shoot. Go to a pro shop and spend some quality time shooting all the bows they have on the rack and see which feels best for you.

Comment

Like everyone has said, don't be a brand shooter. I wanted an elite, but after all the great things I heard about the Xpedition lineup, I got an Xcentric sight unseen. Best bow ice ever owned. Has a bit harsher draw than an elite, but the back wall is literally a wall with the limb stops, and it is the quietest bow I have ever shot. If you can make it to West Houston Archery, try out the Xpedition Xcentric 6 or 7. They are great hybrid cam bows that just so happen to crank great speeds.

Comment

Find somewhere to shoot an Obsession so you don't miss out. I'm not a fanboy of any bow, and have always shot what felt best to me. Been shooting Elite's for a while now, and just recently switched over to Obsession with no regrets. The bow will pick you without a doubt, but be sure you don't miss out on shooting some of the lesser known brands. You might be surprised.

Comment

I shoot a bowtech, but I have shot mathews and other brands as well and will have to say it is all personal preference. Whatever you are comfortable with is what you should by. I love my bowtech because I find it the most comfortable for me to shoot. Go shoot a few and you'll be able to make a decision!

Comment

Go shoot all the ones ya can... I don't believe a bowhunter picks the bow, the bow picks the bowhunter...

Comment

Like already said, go shoot em all.

Keep in mind though, the new year models will start to debut here before long. bear has already introduced a few new models and Mathews introduces theirs next month

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                              This. I love Hoyts, but shot a Chill R and fell in love

Comment

Working...
                              X