Box Blind vs Treestand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box Blind vs Treestand

I have ladder stands (15+ high), tripods, boxes, brush blinds, pop ups....I've had equal luck out of all of them. The plus to a tripod or ladder for me is I can sneak one in and hunt immediately without any slowdown in deer/hog activity.

Comment

I hunt them both. One of our spots has 3 options, box, ground and tree stand.

Too date the two largest deer Ive taken have been standing in almost the same spot. One from a box and one from a 14 foot lean up stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
        If I'm sitting in the hill country in my pop up blind on the ground, my view is constricted by small, scattered cedar bushes and various other low brush. If I'm say 15-20 ft. in a tree, I can see over all of that and see much more of the property. I can see animals moving that aren't just coming into corn.
        Ok ya i get that in a pop up blind, but I was thinking about a traditional box blind where you can have windows all the way around and you can elevate it. We have ground blinds and box blinds that are elevated two are 20ft in the air.

Now I do agree that being out int he open not in a blind you can hear better for sure but you can make and get a box blind up in the air and see all the way around as well.

Comment

Box blinds over food plots (2-3 acres), tree stands in the woods. I much prefer hunting a treestand.

Comment

Originally posted by Setxbowhunter58 View Post
            It seems like everybody on here is building a dang box blind. So here is my question to all of you who are afraid of heights. I hunt in East Texas and it just seems like putting a box blind up 30 yards away from corn would narrow your chances of seeing quality size deer (the smart ones). Am I dumb for thinking this or what? Let me know what results y'all have because my Nephew is just getting into bowhunting and on some mornings it would be nice to sit in a stand with him to teach him the basics before throwing him up in a tree
            No, not necessarily dumb. Tactics for getting on to deer in general... or getting on to big deer specifically definitely vary from region to region. Tactics also vary by choice of weapon and the range you are trying to get at.

I hear people talking about using certain setups for bowhunting and I just don't get it... then I realize they are taking 40 yard shots... well, you can get away with a lot of stuff at 40 yards. You can get away with a lot of stuff at 100 too!

I let the region, the specific topography, and how I plan to bait (if I bait) dictate the setup.... I honestly prefer enclosed ground blinds for a few reasons over tree stands. 1) I like the fact that I can practice at home for that shot angle. 2) I don't have to give weather much thought and 3) At close range, you can draw and are less likely to get picked off. Treestands do have the advantage of having 1) a better exit/entry hole in the deer for tracking due to the angle 2) can be setup above eye level so that harder for the setup to get picked off and 3) easier to relocate / easier to hunt off feeder

Life is too short to not try different approaches to hunting.

One last thing, you see people building box blinds around here because it is a common DIY thing. You don't see most folks building tree stands because, well, they are cheap to buy.

Comment

Working...
            X