No announcement yet.

Direct TV dropping FX and Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a whole list of channels that could be dropped by Direct TV...

The following are getting dropped: FX, all FOX Regional Sports Networks (FSSW), SPEED, National Geographic Channel, FOX Soccer, FOX Soccer Plus, FOX Deportes, FUEL TV and FOX Movie Channel.

They are saying that the local FOX network (KTBC 7 in Austin) are also getting dropped. Not good news for the Dallas Cowboys fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      If they mess with my fox sports SW they will be fired....period. That's the only reason I have cable of any kind.
      Sadly FSN SW is on the list Dale... Along with several other sports channels and regular channels.

That is gonna cut out A L O T of Rangers games... Doesnt make me happy

Comment

Kurt Sutter had a few choice words for Direct TV on his blog:

*he does not sugar coat, and uses a bit of profanity for those delicate readers among us

Comment

Odds are it will get worked out.

Comment

Before everyone jumps on the "I hate the cable company / sat provider" wagon, think about what is going on. These huge companies like FOX, Turner, Viacom, etc. Do this all the time. Cable companies and sat providers are forced to pay the networks what they want so they can provide you with the channel on their system. So if the network wants more money per subscriber guess whos going to eat that cost. You the consumer. I've worked in and around cable and satelitte since high school and I have seen this many times before. All you have to do is the math and it all starts to make sense. I know this may be a cheap example but lets say your provider charges $70 bucks a month. ESPN charges the provider $6.00 per sub to carry the network. Profit down to $64 bucks a month. How many channels do you get 100, 200, more and every one of them wants their piece of the pie. I've seen smaller cable systems drop ESPN because of the astronomical rates they want to charge per subscriber. They don't have a choice but to drop the network or pass the expense on to the consumer. When the bill goes up the consumer doesn't want the expense they drop the service. 9 out of 10 times they will reach an agreement but if they don't threaten this the networks will just keep asking for more. Think about a company like directv that has millions of customers. When a network wants to increase its per subscriber rate from $4 to $6 bucks a sub. Now your taking millions of dollars. Whats to stop all networks (worth watching) from doing this and driving the cost of cable/sat through the roof. Answer: A provider with the stones to stand up and say guess what we not paying that **** and neither are our customers.

Just a rant......lol

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
              I personally don't care but I'm calling tomorrow as a very irate customer to see what they'll give for me for free.

First no Longhorn Network now no football on fx or fox. What else am I missing on those channels so I can call and complain? DirectTV's retention department talks to me almost annually and I get free stuff all the time from them!
              I do the same. Last year I used the VS. Channel to get some free stuff. This year (used the LHN as my reason) my bill was cut from $130 down to $60 a month, given the NFL Sunday Ticket, given College Game Plan, 3 free months of all movie channels with the retention department, free DVR and I get free HD because I am signed up with auto bill pay. All of this staying OUT of a contract.

If you don't think the person you are talking to is going to work with you, then just hang up and call back later. The guy I worked with kept throwing stuff at me before I even had a chance to tell him that would work.

The Cable networks and channels are always going through these negotiations (which is funny to see people call the LHN a failure because they are going through these same negotiations) and they put the consumers right in the middle of it blaming the other side and saying, "hey they are taking your favorite shows away!".
              Last edited by Heath; 10-25-2011, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I would complain as much as you can so they give you some free channels and stuff.

Comment

Wow I hope it doesn't happen, good shows come on those channels

Comment

According to what shows up on direct tv, news corp is trying to increase the cost of the channels by 40%, and direct tv is saying that's ridiculous and way too much money. It's not direct tvs fault imo, big companies just always trying to make the consumer spend more and profits are never big enough.

Comment

All I know is if the cancel NatGeo....momma and my two boys are gonna kick someones arse

Comment

I guess I need to check out FX - I have it but don't ever watch it.

Comment

They're not canceling anything. It's like the NFL lockout. They're just seeing how much money they can get. DirectTV has a huge market share, and they know it. So the networks that don't sign an agreement will suffer. They also said ABC might be dropped as well...not happening. They've said this before, and it doesn't happen. If it does happen I'll be glad to eat some crow while missing my rangers on FSN

Comment

Fox networks pulled the same crap with dish last year....they made a deal about 2days before the deadline...same thing will happen here

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                              Good sons episode tonight
                              Yes sir it sure was!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes! This is the best season yet..

Originally posted by Tuoms View Post
                              They're not canceling anything. It's like the NFL lockout. They're just seeing how much money they can get. DirectTV has a huge market share, and they know it. So the networks that don't sign an agreement will suffer. They also said ABC might be dropped as well...not happening. They've said this before, and it doesn't happen. If it does happen I'll be glad to eat some crow while missing my rangers on FSN
                              Several folks are telling me that it's not gonna happen, so maybe I should just stick with it and it'll work out... I'll be calling today and letting them know whats on my mind.

Comment

They did this same thing last year and it was worked out with no problem, if they dont work it out, just change providers. Your new provider will normally pay your disconnection fee.

Comment

Working...
                                X