Cell phone hog trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kbar View Post
    It looks like the GSM went into the "Verification Mode".

You said you have yours and your sons numbers programed into it but its showing 3 contacts.
    Who is the 3rd number? I think any of the remaining numbers can activate the GSM but only the first 2 get feedback from the unit.

Is it possible that someone butt dialed the controller?

Another thing ----- It could also be that there was a power surge or lightning strike that triggered the number verification- either where the trap is or even where the tower that transmits the signal from.
    Did the actual trap activate on its own?

I'm curious to know what it was if you figure it out.
    You are correct I had my number listed twice in the whitelist, after it sent1 to me and my son he checked the covert cam and it didn't actuate the trap. However someone called the gsm about three weeks ago and actuated the trap because I didn't activate the ACM security, we tried to call the trap with unauthorized number and it did block it..its been a learning process

Comment

Let me rephrase my request

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
      Could you PM me with some build details?
      When you feel like the bugs are worked out, I would like to know how much you would change to build one for me. Thank you and fascinating write up

Comment

Originally posted by 10132297 View Post
        You are correct I had my number listed twice in the whitelist, after it sent1 to me and my son he checked the covert cam and it didn't actuate the trap. However someone called the gsm about three weeks ago and actuated the trap because I didn't activate the ACM security, we tried to call the trap with unauthorized number and it did block it..its been a learning process
        Sounds like you got it working pretty good. Those Chinese instructions are kinda confusing.
        Without the security activated, the robo /spam callers will set it off for you.
        Are you running any additional white light or IR to help with the Covert viewing at night?
        I'm on proto type #4 - I've been doing it since there were only 2G units out there. Its been an evolving process to say the least.
        Looks like you got it whipped.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbar View Post
          Sounds like you got it working pretty good. Those Chinese instructions are kinda confusing.
          Without the security activated, the robo /spam callers will set it off for you.
          Are you running any additional white light or IR to help with the Covert viewing at night?
          I'm on proto type #4 - I've been doing it since there were only 2G units out there. Its been an evolving process to say the least.
          Looks like you got it whipped.
          I am not running additional IR lights with the covert, I do need to get the camera higher and looking down into the trap, you are correct about the Chinese instructions they are difficult to understand, I was reluctant to put the flash drive they provided in my computer i figured it was infested with spyware or some other form of treachery but so far no problems. I have not figured out how to use the communication cable provided with the gsm so I just set up the GSM by SMS texting it instructions. One very important thing I learned the hard way is to have the voicemail option and PIN removed from the AT&T SIM card, I spent an hour at the AT&T store trying to get this done they didn't understand why I didn't want voicemail, I told them it was for a pig trap and then I got the thousand yard stare from them, next time i will tell them its for a gate closer. Make them test the SIM before leaving the store.

Comment

I am not running additional IR lights with the covert, I do need to get the camera higher and looking down into the trap, you are correct about the Chinese instructions they are difficult to understand, I was reluctant to put the flash drive they provided in my computer i figured it was infested with spyware or some other form of treachery but so far no problems. I have not figured out how to use the communication cable provided with the gsm so I just set up the GSM by SMS texting it instructions. One very important thing I learned the hard way is to have the voicemail option and PIN removed from the AT&T SIM card, I spent an hour at the AT&T store trying to get this done they didn't understand why I didn't want voicemail, I told them it was for a pig trap and then I got the thousand yard stare from them, next time i will tell them its for a gate closer. Make them test the SIM before leaving the store.
            You are right - ATT is not very helpful and I'm guessing its because its not something that they can make a residual income / upgrades from.
            As far as setting up the camera, yes higher is better. And just what I have found is to set the camera where you can see into the trap but also where you can see the outside as well. This is to monitor if you have "trap shy" animals that lurk on the perimeter.
            I bought a Sniper feeder light setup a couple of weeks ago for 2 purposes - One is security lighting at our barn and 2 - where I can set it up and flood the entire area with IR- Still just trying out different combos on what works ----
            Enjoy seeing your progress -

Comment

My GSM uses the larger "Old style" SIM card and that creates problems for the AT&T people, they had to dig an old flip phone up to test my card. Can I use a SIM card adapter and use the smaller card in the GSM card slot??

Comment

You will cuss that securitron latch before it’s all said and done. They jam up way to easy.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does anyone have a way to use Verizon instead of AT&T?

Comment

My GSM uses the larger "Old style" SIM card and that creates problems for the AT&T people, they had to dig an old flip phone up to test my card. Can I use a SIM card adapter and use the smaller card in the GSM card slot??
                      I honestly do not know if the smaller sim can be used with an adaptor in place of a larger one. As you have probably seen, there are several different variations of the foreign GSM’s out there. Nothing that I have used had a harness as you mentioned earlier. I pat and pieces what I needed and built my own.
                      That about where our similarities end (at the gsm) and then pickup at the round type trap - triggering systems are completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by hogmess View Post

Thanks!

Comment

I know install a plug under my boxes and use extensions cords to drop as many doors as you want at one time. Use a pay as you go SIM card. These southco latches are probably the best latches in my opinion. I haven’t had a single problem with the latch.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            Does anyone have a way to use Verizon instead of AT&T?
                            On eBay I saw verzion gsm controllers

Comment

Follow

Comment

These traps work! The only down side is getting text messages in the middle of the night and deciding if you should close the trap on what is inside. Quite a few restless nights sleep. If you get a bunch, you get a about 4-5 nights before they come back and the phone goes bonkers again in the middle of the night. I know...ya can't have it all. We are happy catching the hogs.
                                Good luck with your set up. Looks great and already working.
                                KIMG1740(1) by Tony Pic, on Flickr
                                52054 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X