Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've hopped around as much as any but like Jeremy eluded to many different reasons. None of which was looking for instant results or an easy road. Most of the time it was because I was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole or once I got the square peg in the hole someone would come along and break the puzzle. At that point we all as paying hunters have a decision to make. Do we just keep throwing money and time at a bad situation. Life is too short especially when hunting with my daughters are involved. As any of my former lease mates can attest to I put as much time, work and money on a lease as anyone and every property I have ever been on was better when I left then when I arrived.
    There is several people I would still love to share a lease with but over time we have grown apart you might say wanting different things. I think we all as paying lease hunters strive to be long term leasers like Smart and others. Everyone is looking for different things in their ideal leases. For some our requirements are different and some times what we think we want changes over time. Regardless of how exciting it is to scout nd setup new grounds i for one am dang tired of moving all my gear.
    For once in my life I am finally going into an off season completely at ease knowing I have finally landed on my "unicorn" deer lease.

Just giving my experience to add to what Jeremy said earlier. We are all different, do what works for you.

Oh and Jason please hold off on the rain dances until Monday. I need to get my gear moved this weekend
    Last edited by KactusKiller; 02-07-2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      Ill have to see which one it was exactly. Pellets would just crumble to almost dust. Two loads in a row. It was the 20%.
      I've always used their 17% and when we first made the switch our deer preferred the AP to the palmers deer chuck.
      Of course it changes all the time depending on grain availability and price.

I really like the cottonseed pellets from Rowena. Best thing is the coons don't eat it like they do the regular protein pellets.

Comment

I’ll be hunting a spot on the family place in paint rock this year. They have seen some 130 class deer in the past few years with a 4.5 rule for trophies (lots of 3.5 yr “oops” bucks shot too from what I’ve seen.) the lease has been rewritten to 5.5 in hopes of keeping the 3.5 yr olds alive and getting some 140 class bucks, only time will tell.

I’m finishing up a 1,000 lb protein feeder this month and will be feeding Double Down protein through the spring and summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
          I’ll be hunting a spot on the family place in paint rock this year. They have seen some 130 class deer in the past few years with a 4.5 rule for trophies (lots of 3.5 yr “oops” bucks shot too from what I’ve seen.) the lease has been rewritten to 5.5 in hopes of keeping the 3.5 yr olds alive and getting some 140 class bucks, only time will tell.

I’m finishing up a 1,000 lb protein feeder this month and will be feeding Double Down protein through the spring and summer.
          What side of paint rock? There is some really good areas for trophy deer around there. It should all be target rich!

Comment

Some good bucks near the cemetery area of paint rock. I hunted the road going to lake Ivie for 10 years straight. We killed a couple of 140’s and seen a few bigger. That was from 1982-1992 so it’s been awhile back. I bet with some management and feeding you could have some good genetic bucks. Good luck and keep us posted on how it’s going!

Comment

Southeast side off of CR4508

Comment

Southeast side off of CR4508
                I boarderd the north side of FM1929 about 1.5 Miles form hwy83. Basically just north of the river on FM1929
                The area you’re in is a good area from what I hear or just north of there not too far is where some really good deer get killed every year.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                  Because you’re old,Joe!

Ummmmmmm. And you are oldER. [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsonly88 View Post
                    I think it was 305 a ton. Feed trailer held 3 1/2 tons and we got a pallet of bags for a few feeders we can only get a ranger to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that directly from AP? How much was the use of the trailer?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
                      Is that directly from AP? How much was the use of the trailer?
                      I don't think Palmers is letting AP use their trailer lol.

Comment

I don't think Palmers is letting AP use their trailer lol.

For some reason I thought they were feeding AP. My mistake.

Comment

Ill join the thread.. just got on my first lease out that way. Im going Monday to pick out some spots and get more of an idea what all I will need stand a feeder wise.

Comment

Originally posted by duckman49 View Post
                            Ill join the thread.. just got on my first lease out that way. Im going Monday to pick out some spots and get more of an idea what all I will need stand a feeder wise.
                            Welcome. Hope you aren't having to hunt to close to Smart!

Comment

Welcome. Hope you aren't having to hunt to close to Smart!

Yes yes.....we don't have any good deer near us. Just 11 years of rain and rocks..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Yes yes.....we don't have any good deer near us. Just 11 years of rain and rocks..
                                haha. No rain in my area. Been a dry *** winter. Hope it turns around.

Comment

Working...
                                X