View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #40
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

OK, I was not going to jump in on this but I cant help myself. First a little background. My southern roots go very deep - my mother is from Richmond Va and her people there go back to the 1690's. That side of my family were slave owners from about 1805 until Emancipation. My father's people moved to Texas From North Carolina in 1850 and also owned slaves. There is a long list of my kin that died for the South. This spurred my intense interest in the Civil War from an early age. Well into adulthood I believed the "states rights, not slavery" line I was taught. However as I have become more informed through decades of research I think both are correct depending who you are talking about. The overwhelming majority (almost all) of Confederate soldiers did not own slaves and fought - as one captured rebel said - "because y'all are down here!" Or like most every soldier throughout history, they fought for the men on the left and right of them. It is also hard to believe that your average northerner was willing to give his life to free the slaves. (most of them did not think blacks were equal to whites, but most thought that owning other people was wrong) They were fighting to preserve the Union and once again, for their comrades. So most of the guys doing the actual shooting - on either side - did not give one whit about slavery.

However there is absolutely no doubt that the political cause of the war was slavery. EVERY ONE of the southern state's secession documents made it crystal clear that they were leaving the union to preserve the institution of slavery. Alexander Stevens (vice president of the CSA) made it very clear just after the first shots were fired at Fort Sumpter. From his "Cornerstone" speech:
" Our new government is founded upon exactly [this] idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

So if you continue to cling to the "states rights" argument, you must admit that the right they were fighting for was the right to own other humans they considered to be inferior.

Last edited by jerp; 08-08-2017 at 07:53 PM.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top