Photography Storage and Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photography Storage and Recovery

Well it looks like my external hard drive is not working. Does anybody on here recommend a place or someone to try and remover my pictures on the external hard drive? I really would like to recover them if possible.

Also, how do you guys store you photos to make sure you don't lose them? Do you store them in a cloud somewhere or on an external hard drive or both? I really don't want this to happen again.

Please help me out with your feedback if you get some time. I am really sick for not having these backed up in more than one place and have learned my lesson

Thanks,

I use Mozy Home---it backs up nightly while I sleep--but just the files that have been created or changed since the previous night.

Comment

anybody else backup their photos and if so where. I would really like to hear from you guys on this

Comment

i am one of those guys that doesn't trust the cloud, but it is ultimately becoming the safest way not to lose my pictures. I back up to a master hard drive and then occasionally back that one up as well. External hard drives and USB connections will eventually be phased out to the cloud. Hoping it wont be in my lifetime.

Some of my pictures right now I back up to Google Drive, but I haven't converted that to be my master location yet

Comment

I have been using Syncbackfree for a while now and I have 3 extra hard drives in my machine and another I can put in a dock that is in my machine. I'll not lose my stuff again unless the house burns down God forbid. I also make a bootable copy of my main hard drive every month using Casper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	syncbacfree.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	24478660

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I also welcome any others as I am sure I am not the only one this has happened to. Thanks again

Comment

I forgot to add, with Syncback you don't have to restore the files because it backs up the actual files just as they are on your main hard drive.

Comment

Thanks Bill

Comment

Two external hard drives. One connected to the computer at home and another kept off site at my office. Periodically, I remove the external from the computer, take it to the office and switch it with the one there. This protects from hard drive failures and, even if my house burned down and destroyed my computer and the external there, I'd only lose the photos that were taken since the last switch out of the externals. The external drives are mirror image of the internal primary drive, which is very easy using SyncToy. Additionally, we have Carbonite backup, but that would be my last resort.

Edit: I guess I should also mention that the internal primary drive I'm referring to is designated ONLY to Lightroom. It contains my imported RAW files as well as the Lr Catalog, thumbnails, etc. It does not contain the exported JPG files. The operating system and everything else is a different internal drive. This makes the mirroring extremely simple and straight forward.
                  Last edited by Snakelover; 01-11-2017, 08:43 AM.

Comment

If you have an Amazon Prime subscription you also receive unlimited Prime Photo storage. I am not a big time photographer or anything but I've started migrating all of our family photos and such up to Prime Photo. I use an external drive for initial download from the camera and then clone everything to Prime Photo. Also, about once every 6 months or so I burn DVDs for long term storage.

Comment

Working...
                    X