No announcement yet.

Diesel starting in Cold Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At Tractor supply there is a two outlet plug called a THermo Cube . It turns on electricity at 35 degrees or colder then off at 45 degrees. I had my boss pick up 4 of them to use in well pump and other places to keep pipes from freezing....It says on package it can be used for block heater in vehs. I found some in midland and Odessa. I will get my son to pick some up for me......Andy

Comment

Had her plugged in all night so should be an easy start after I am done with my coffee.

Comment

Good luck :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
          Had her plugged in all night so should be an easy start after I am done with my coffee.
          Good luck :-)

Comment

started right up.

Comment

Mine too. It's a nice addition to have for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                Plug mine in when temps are in mid 30s or lower. Doesn't need it but it makes for a quick warm-up in the mornings.
                ^^^^ This , & the heater works as soon as you turn it on

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                  ^^^^ This , & the heater works as soon as you turn it on
                  Got sidetracked last night and forgot to plug mine in, talk about a cold drive this morning. Took 20 miles to get warm air out of the heater...

Comment

For all those that plug their truck in can you tell me what year and model you have? I am trying to decide if I should be doing this.

Comment

I had a 98 and a 2000 Dodge. Had them for over 8 years and never once did I plug one of them up BUT I did have a buddy in college with an 05 Duramax and if it dropped below 40 degrees it would NOT crank unless it was plugged up if it had been sitting for more than a couple hours.

Comment

Diesel starting in Cold Weather

2001 Ford F350 with the 7.3...

I have plugged it in since the first year I owned it in 2001. Had a glow plug go bad the first year and at 17 deg it wouldn't start. I was duck hunting in Mississippi. I haven't had any glow plug issues ever since but I never want to be stranded again like that. It starts so much easier under 30 with it plugged in plus the heater is warm almost instantly.
                        Last edited by Smart; 12-12-2013, 09:42 AM.

Comment

2006 F350, 6.0. I've never had to plug it in, but I do when the temps will be close to freezing or below. Nice to have that warm air right after startup. I plug mine in for only a couple of hours, not usually overnight.

Comment

Working...
                          X