Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Headed out to dig!
    good luck. drink lots of water. gonna be toasty.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
      What a great thread!

You have inspired me to start looking on my place just north of L. Somerville and my parents place just south of the Lake. Both have creeks running through them and have high banks. o

I don't want to hi-jack this by any means but I have a question. My parents place has waterfall and corresponding permanent water hole that goes with it. But its not a spring.
      It does not have is a good source of flint but does have some gravel. The question is: Does this matter that the rock source used to make artifacts is not close the creeks?

Thanks very much! We do need a sticky for this thread.
      it may very well have been a spring back before our voracious water use. wells have reduced the levels of underground water making many springs only seasonal, and others not at all. sounds like you have a great site, as long as it is above flood stages.

Comment

WHOOO HOOOOOOO! Finally got out there and started digging about 630pm. Was still digging way down off the main site tto complete my drainage. The first couple of buckets didnt show much and I was really wanting to dig somewhere else but i knew i needed to clean this spot up so it would drain. Next buck got me about 4ft deep and i saw an obvious pile of ancient charcoal. I put that bucket in the sifter and went back and got another bucket of the same material. I killed the loader and walked to the sifter to see what was showing. as i walked up, Dad grabbed a long sleek Plainview from the screen and handed it to me still coated in dirt! I quickly washed it and he asked if it was damaged. NO IT WASNT!!!! It was flawless except the base wasnt perfectly symetrical! It is so thin that you can see through it and some of the best ancient workmanship i have ever seen.
        After a little celebration, we started digging again and found several more really nice whole points although most were shallower than the Plainview. These came from dirt I didnt even want to sift!
        all the other points look worse for the comparison. the plainview is so nice.

Comment

Update. I worked on one problem after another this evening and finally got my crap together. I needed to cut a drainage ditch for our first hole so i started working on it. I had the sifter set up and ready so my Dad says ,"Lets just sift the stuff you are digging out ffor the ditch." Now i was on the very edge of the site and didnt think it was worth sifting but it was only 30 minutes till dark so i poured it in the sifter.
          We found more than i expected although most of it was rough. We found five or six decent points including a nice Langtry and a killer marshall plus a 5 gallon bucket of chips and scrapers.
          Now thats cool.... worth all the diesel

Comment

Well you have my interest, we have a natural spring on our lease. Cedar creek also feeds PK lake on the lease. I am going to start looking hard, I just don't know the tale tell signs of what to look for. Guess I will just dig and look! Great thread very interesting!

Azle

Comment

Originally posted by azle View Post
              Well you have my interest, we have a natural spring on our lease. Cedar creek also feeds PK lake on the lease. I am going to start looking hard, I just don't know the tale tell signs of what to look for. Guess I will just dig and look! Great thread very interesting!

Azle
              Look for the closest area that is out of the floodplain. There are usually a hill or rise near creekbottoms. Search for chips of flint and you should be able to tell pretty quick if there was a camp.

Comment

more pics!

Comment

this is still an awsome thread!

Comment

Thank you Mr. Mercer!

Comment

Originally posted by azle View Post

Azle
                      Sent a PM.

Comment

What is the total on points? This is really a good thread

Comment

Well i just got in. This was my first full day of digging. I didnt get a count but WELL over 200 points today alone! I just took pics of some of the more interesting stuff but there were a LOT of nice points.

I found a big double fluted blade. Not sure what it is. Where is Johnny when you need him?
                          Attached Files

Comment

That's amazing.

Comment

Wow!!

Comment

You had an awsome day! Found any celts or grooved axes on this site yet? You are living the life brother

Comment

Working...
                                X