No announcement yet.

Rain collectors and watering trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use 2 300 gal totes sitting on stands about 3 feet high. They are placed near a house/storage shed and have used flexible PCV tubing attached to the gutters of the house. From the bottom of the totes I attached a common header with a garden hose connection....I also attached a overflow pipe to divert overflow water away from the house.....I'll attach pictures later...

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
      Question? Why don’t you run a line from your pump To your trees. We ran 1” pvc irrigation pipe and then came off of that with 1/2 line and adjustable drippers. I just go start the pump at the tank and then walk around and check the trees to be sure the drippers do not clog up. The clogging is rare. You can buy the pvc cheap and run it a long way. As many trees as your planting it would be worth the investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The main reason is that I shut off my water supply each and every time I leave the ranch. I do not want to burn up my downhole pump if the piping above ground freezes and breaks. It has happened more than once in the last few years, even the cast iron pump body has frozen and cracked.

The first spot that I have planted the majority of my trees is close to the house and well so running a line would be possible if it wasn't for the concern of freezing. Another spot that I planted the fruit trees is close to a half mile away from the well. The third location that I planted some pecans at this year is somewhere in between, but still too far even if I could prevent the freezing issues.

My experience at my place has shown what I am doing now to be the best compromise.

As for which trees I ordered, I got the "rapid mast" seedlings from Nativ nurseries. Yes it will take years for nut production and that is why I am planting so many each year. I will lose some and don't want to be set back a complete year if I lose too many. Also, getting saplings to take root and live is an easier proposition than a 50-100 gallon root ball. Those sort of trees need much more water in their first year or three or you will lose your much higher investment. That is unless you live on property or visit and can water each week.

My thoughts and experiences, YMMV.

Tim

Comment

^^^ if you run a line could you bury it? Just an inch or two would keep it from freezing

Comment

It is not the line down to the trees that I am worried about freezing. I have had the 1.25" PVC pipe between the above ground holding tank and my pressure pump freeze and crack more than once. One time while we were at the ranch for a long new year's weekend and had the water system charged the actual pump body froze and cracked. I had to replace the pump but luckily my local friend has a neighbor who sells well equipment and allowed us to raid his shop to find what I needed. He billed me for what I used about 6 months later.

I added a bottom drain to the section of line that froze but a couple of months ago that section froze again. There was a pocket of water trapped in the piping because I didn't add a high point vent. Turns out that the person who drained it did not leave my heat lamp plugged in. Arrrrr

So I have not found a satisfactory way to leave the water system charged when I am not there. I am fortunate that my downhole well pump did not burn up the first time that the pipes froze. I had not shut off the valve from the 3,000 gallon surface tank to the pressure pump suction and that whole tank drained out! Live and learn, but I take fewer chances now when I am away.

T

Comment

So I went out last weekend and put some 13-13-13 on my trees
            Pears and nectarine are looking good
            Apple's and peaches died.

Comment

Working...
            X