Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I crazy for not canceling baseball practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    27 degrees this morning.

Had the 5-6 yos teeballers out before light doing gassers and burpies for 1.5 hours with no water or breakfast to hardened their soft asses up. Building Champions!!
    That was just the warmup.....right?

Comment

For 7-8 year olds I’d cancel.

Comment

By the time you get them layered up to practice, they won't have the range of mobility to even have a productive practice. I always looked at this when I coached. I am fairly hard arsed when it comes to that stuff involving kids, but the weather, coupled with the attention span of a soap dish that 7-8 year olds have, I wouldn't do it. But to each its own. When I was young, I practiced batting on top of a snowy mountain top using a broomstick. Had to walk 3 mile, uphill both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          That was just the warmup.....right?

Yup. They had to get to school but I told their parents and the State of Texas to kiss my ***!! Cannot get in the way of championship training!! Had those little som ******* cradling and carrying 4 foot telephone poles up and down the big hill on their tiptoes to build forty times and stamina! Hell yeah! Finished up with a 3 mile run and 20 yard barefoot walk over burning coals and had their little ***es in school by 2nd period!..

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
            Well, y'all have proven once again that we'll argue about anything around here 😂
            No we won't!!!!

Comment

man, just by reading the title i never would have guessed this thread would deliver this hard. carry on boys, its cold outside

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                And all of the studies Ive seen say there is no correlation between being in cold weather and catching the flu or the common cold.
                Which studies are those?

It's not hard to look up. link

Ironically... part of the reason for increased flu transmission in the winter is more time spent in sealed indoor environments, but as the studies say,
                "Therefore, we can conclude that, at least in regions that have a winter season, the influenza virus survives longer in cold, dry air, so it has a greater chance of infecting another person."
                Last edited by meltingfeather; 02-12-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                  You should hear what is said in the stands of a 9U game!
                  Methinks we're getting a pretty good idea from this thread

Last post for me here.

Sept -Nov ... Football
                  Dec-Feb...Basketball, Soccer
                  March-June... Baseball, Track, Softball
                  July- Sept...vacation

It all happened to us about this way growing up unless your 30 and under. The rest of us turned out ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Yup. They had to get to school but I told their parents and the State of Texas to kiss my ***!! Cannot get in the way of championship training!! Had those little som ******* cradling and carrying 4 foot telephone poles up and down the big hill on their tiptoes to build forty times and stamina! Hell yeah! Finished up with a 3 mile run and 20 yard barefoot walk over burning coals and had their little ***es in school by 2nd period!..
                    When I picked my kid up from your practice yesterday he said he was wore out. so I made him jog behind the truck all the way home.

Can you please work them harder if that's all you got maybe I pull my kid off your team. And you know he is the next best NLB player don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                      When I picked my kid up from your practice yesterday he said he was wore out. so I made him jog behind the truck all the way home.

Can you please work them harder if that's all you got maybe I pull my kid off your team. And you know he is the next best NLB player don't you?

Attaboy Dad!! Work em into the ground! Future honorable mention all district shortstop right thar!

Comment

7 or 8 year olds, then yes you are.

Take them to an indoor hitting cages...

Don't be that guy

Comment

Weather affects playing baseball a lot more than some other sports. You need finger dexterity to grip a ball and have to throw with a bare hand; can't really wear a lot of clothes, either, and move to hit, catch, field and throw. There's a reason baseball players are called "the boys of summer" and not "the boys of the dead of winter."

That said, in the present case I might have opted for a team meeting or bonding exercise, or tried to find an indoor facility and hit. I recall having Little League players meet in the LL board room on a rained-out practice day to discuss and draw up various situations on a white board. I know my son's high school coach would have a big "goal" setting meeting for individuals and the team in his classroom early in each season. In select ball, teams we played for had access to indoor facilities all the time for bad weather. It's very possible to have a productive baseball activity without risking weather-related injury or just being miserable and not-fun. It's game; it's supposed to be fun.

Now, my son's college team just played a series in Arkansas with temps between 37 and 43, along with off-and-on misting rain. I was there, and it was pretty brisk. Play was sloppy at times, as cold hands struggled to get grips, making no play routine. Weekend before, they played in Denver, and actually cancelled the final game of the series when it was 11. (Our coach wanted to play, but the other team didn't -- partly because they were out of pitching, after we put up almost 30 runs in two games at that altitude.)

But these are 18-22-year olds.

Comment

I would have kept my kids home. That's foolish. Not like the MLB teams are calling.

Comment

If it is a travel ball team, then I would practice, if it is local ball, cancel.

Comment

It has to be fun for the young kids or they will lose interest very quickly, this thread has been very entertaining, some of you are just too **** hard asses, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X