A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    what kind of white clovers would you recommend?

Ladino, Lousiana S-1, Regalgrase, Osceola, regal, Barblanca?
    I don't have experience with all mentioned. I've had good experience with LA S-1, Osceola and ladino. For the last few years I have stuck with Durana which I like very much. This year I'm 'perking ' all my clover fields with Durana and Cherokee Red clover. I also like the red clover a lot. It doesn't last as long as Durana but performs very well for a year or two, is beautiful and heavily grazed.

From the choices you offer I'd go with ladino.

Comment

Rusty, If you could plant the perfect food plot fields, what would they include? If there is a perfect mix for our area of the country. My farm is about the latitude of Monroe,La, is that about the same as your farm? Thanks for any help.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        I don't have experience with all mentioned. I've had good experience with LA S-1, Osceola and ladino. For the last few years I have stuck with Durana which I like very much. This year I'm 'perking ' all my clover fields with Durana and Cherokee Red clover. I also like the red clover a lot. It doesn't last as long as Durana but performs very well for a year or two, is beautiful and heavily grazed.

From the choices you offer I'd go with ladino.
        Tecomate King Ladino in 1 plot and Monster Mix in the other is my conclusion. With oats/wheat, and Austrian peas mixed in

Comment

Seed has arrived!!! Elbon rye, wheat, Durana, Red clover, arrow leaf, berseem, radishes, turnips, chicory...and a couple bags of oyster sells for the chickens.

I continue to believe that fall planting do more for the soil and deer than summer plantings though I plant summer as well.

Now waiting on rain.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by elgato; 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Rusty, what rates/acre will you be planting your mixtures this year? Got your target buck picked out yet?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
              Rusty, what rates/acre will you be planting your mixtures this year? Got your target buck picked out yet?
              Couple of different approaches depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. In the big fields I double crop with soybeans or cowpea mixtures I'm going with straight elbon rye at 120 lbs/acre. Heavy duty for organic matter and heavy thatch to see if I will have to spray weeds when I rotate next spring.

I'm perking up existing clover fields by refreshing clover. 50 lbs/wheat/acre, 4 lbs Durana/acre, 6 lbs red clover /acre, 2 lbs radishes/acre 2 lbs chicory/acre and 1 lb turnips.

A few straight hunting spots I'm just going with 50 lbs wheat.

Comment

Sounds great Rusty.. I just finished turning my chicken litter under this morning. Im running late on it because of harvey. Ready to plant now if i see a rain coming.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Sounds great Rusty.. I just finished turning my chicken litter under this morning. Im running late on it because of harvey. Ready to plant now if i see a rain coming.
                  I'm jealous of the chicken litter ...{ Interesting how values change with age } I couldn't make it happen this year for a variety of reasons though I'm a believer!

Good luck.

Comment

Second year using chicken manure.

Comment

Thought some of you might find this interesting. This buck has an antler growing out of his eye! I've been watching him all summer wondering if/when he might die. My best guess is that he damaged his pedicle last year...probably fighting..and a part of antler has grown down and out through his eye. He also had a 5-6" drop tine growing from his left base which he has broken off.

Open to any other theories???
                      Attached Files

Comment

god almighty deer are tough critters. That makes me uncomfortable just looking at it....

Comment

Daaaaaaaaang

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd find the nearest interstate and jump in front of an 18 wheeler if I was that deer! Hurts looking at it!

Comment

Oh lord....if he makes it through season he may have a time when that side tries to shed....ouch

Comment

That would make an interesting skull mount!!

Comment

Working...
                                X