No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got my tiller running today and the dang ground was to hard for it to go very deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been turning my raised beds over. We have had some rain so it makes it easier.

Comment

Well, we pretty much got rained out this weekend... Nuthin' in the garden area... I did take out a few sparrows n starlings with my pellet gun... Martins are starting to show up at my Martin houses, so Spring is just around the corner. It will likely be Easter before we really get to do any serious planting. Wife wants a bunch of peas this year. I'm sure the deer will be happy too!

Comment

I fertilized and tilled in January. Did potatoes and onions on President's Day and put in spinach, lettuce, carrots this week.

Comment

Tilled up a small area to prepare for planting. Sandy loam makes it very easy

Comment

This picture is about a week old. Everything is growing fast in the high-tunnel
              Attached Files

Comment

I need to get out there and clean up and add some more compost to the beds. Was out back yesterday and noticed some onions, tomatoes and a couple peppers sprouting already. Nice little bonus on things that dropped seeds last season!

New job has me traveling less so I will be home to tend to the garden more. Looking in to building a rain barrel and doing an irrigation line this year

Comment

Some awesome looking gardens on here. Loved the rain we got yesterday south of Houston, almost 4 inches soaked my beds real well. So today I put in tomatoes, onions, and herbs. Hope to get bush beans in next week with some Ichibon egg plants.

Comment

Has anyone used some type of row cover on top of their tomatoes shielding them from the heat to extend their season?

Comment

Rseveer do you have the plans for those boxes?

Comment

Originally posted by rseveer View Post
                        Some awesome looking gardens on here. Loved the rain we got yesterday south of Houston, almost 4 inches soaked my beds real well. So today I put in tomatoes, onions, and herbs. Hope to get bush beans in next week with some Ichibon egg plants.

Did you build or buy your raised beds? I need to build some to add to my garden.

Comment

I have also started researching "companion gardening" to find out what should and shouldn't be planted together, also for pest control.

Comment

bowmamsdad, I built those over the past couple of weeks. I went a little overboard on the height. But it's better for my wife's and I backs.

Comment

I can get all the cow manure I need. Would this do me any good with my peppers in raised beds?

Comment

hooligan sorry I don't have any plans. Two of the boxes are 4'x8' x 21" tall. Made with 2x8's yellow pine stained on the outside only with Olympic Maximum cedar tone. I like the look of it being capped on the sides and ends, I used decking boards stained the same. The other box is 5'x10' x 21" tall. That's my tomato box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X