No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't think I'm going to do one this year. Too much work, not enough time. My asparagus is however doing good and I'll keep up with it since it is already there.

Comment

Rseveer, thanks for the links.

What r you planning on planting in your boxes?

Comment

Can someone post up pics of how they deer proof their garden?

I am looking to do something that is functional yet aesthetically pleasing and doesn't break the bank...

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
          Can someone post up pics of how they deer proof their garden?

I am looking to do something that is functional yet aesthetically pleasing and doesn't break the bank...
          I have chicken wire around it and in the back are doors to access the back of it. This was last year before I finished it with the wire. Worked perfectly

Last edited by asttbe; 02-25-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Loaded up my beds with cow manure today.

Getting it ready to plant soon.

Comment

Anyone growing cantaloupe? Want to get some ideas on how to prepare ground and trellis, if needed. Dedicating my normal location for potatoes to cantaloupes this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                Anyone growing cantaloupe? Want to get some ideas on how to prepare ground and trellis, if needed. Dedicating my normal location for potatoes to cantaloupes this year.
                We've had really good luck with cantelopes in the past. We didn't do anything special with the soil and we also didn't do a trellis.

Comment

I noticed earlier this week we had a few onions popping up, then we had frost yesterday and this morning. I didn't have a chance to cover them. In hoping it didn't kill them!

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                    Let them run on the ground they are to heavy for trellis. Best tasting and most prolific variety i have ever planted is a hybrid from Willhite Seeds called "Sugar Queen". Take my word on this!

Comment

Garden '17

Got the taters planted--going to plant the rest Easter Saturday.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                        Let them run on the ground they are to heavy for trellis. Best tasting and most prolific variety i have ever planted is a hybrid from Willhite Seeds called "Sugar Queen". Take my word on this!
                        My wife ordered all her seeds from Willhite on the recommendation from my brother. He's been using them for years.

I think my wife will have to replant her potatoes... Middle of the rows haven't come up very well... All the rain right after she planted probably got 'em. The ends that were higher ground has some good plants up and with a good dark green color. Her onions are about 6-8" high and doing well. We may put a few tomato and pepper plants in the ground this weekend, but nothing we can't cover in the event of a cold night or two... Sure am praying for the right rains this year in hopes she can actually get a real harvest. Last year's garden was looking real pretty before the 14+ inches of rain hit... Pretty chilly last night at 36, but I didn't see any frost. I'll check everything this evening when I get home.

Comment

Decided to make a garden at our cabin now that I have water. Got started on it a couple days ago and am still trying to decide what all I'm planting. Being virgin soil I have low expectations this Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                            Decided to make a garden at our cabin now that I have water. Got started on it a couple days ago and am still trying to decide what all I'm planting. Being virgin soil I have low expectations this Spring.
                            Shoot, I bet that dirt will grow anything! Worn out garden dirt is what you sometimes have to struggle with to get stuff to grow. That's "brand new dirt" and I bet plants will "jump out the ground" growin' when you plant there! Good luck.

Comment

A much smaller, more sensible garden this Spring. Tomatoes, peppers, onion, herbs, lettuces, melons, and cucumber.

Our little Back to Eden Garden requires little to no attention for the second year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All my babies are in the ground. Everything is from seeds this year.
                                Three varieties of tomatoes. Squash. Okra. Cucumbers. Cilantro. JalapeƱos and Serranos.

Comment

Working...
                                X