Do MLB Umpires get evaluated ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With ESPN (and other outlets) showing the animated Ball/Strike Box, and seeing how many times the Umps are wrong, are the Umps graded?

I'd almost like to see the home plate Umps being "done away with" calling balls and strikes.

I dunno. I like the human aspect to it as long as they are consistent. You can't call a strike 2" off the plate for one pitcher and not the other.

Comment

I think most of the time if the umps are calling the black or high low it goes both ways and hitters have to adjust to the zone that's being called. They're usually pretty consistent with what they call. Sometimes they're off their game and really suck, but they'll be bad both ways.

And of course they're reviewed and evaluated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thing a lot of folks don't realize is that those two-dimensional strike zone boxes don't account for the three-dimensional zone. Think of the zone as a hologram projected in the shape of home plate. It is established by the batter and locked in at the moment the pitcher releases the ball. It starts at the hollow below the knee cap of the batter and extends up to the mid-point between the waist and shoulders. A ball that travels through any part of that area is a strike. Note that it does not matter where the ball is caught or ends up, so long as it goes through the zone. Umpires who make the zone their "own" are doing a dis-service to the game.

If MLB wants to speed up the pace of play, then call a rulebook zone as described above. Batters have to swing the bats, action is encouraged, games move along.

Comment

The game tonight was really bad on the plate umpire.......

I think he was wrong about 30 percent of the pitches tonight.............
          Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 06-19-2017, 02:25 AM.

Comment

I'm old school and was originally opposed to it. But now I'm in favor of having a computerized "ump" for calling balls and strikes. It will be fair for each pitcher and each batter. Let the players decide who wins or loses the game. Take the human element out of the calls as much as we can. We already have replays on plays in the field. I wasn't sure about that at first either. But there seems to be two or three calls a game that are reviewed and overturned. Get it right if the technology is there....which it appears to be.

Comment

The ump tonight in the CWS for the TCU vs Florida game was just awful and very inconsistent. He had the best pitchers for both teams, talking to themselves.

The announcers on TV talked all game about all the strikes that were not called strikes mostly on inside pitches. It was hard to watch, but at least the good guys won.

Comment

You talking about the Astros game last night? yea, horrible calls...

Comment

Also a lot of the umps squat way to the left or right of the plate. How can you see the exact "plane" of the plate if your line of sight is 6-10" left or right of center. Watching the Rangers the other evening, one ump was so fat, he couldn't get down low enough to see where the vertical strike zone should be

Comment

Umps and egos... Watched an umps ego get in the way repeatedly in our bracket game on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by QuackerWacker83 View Post
                      Yea.....that's what made me think about it.

I would think that the MLB Home Office would have something to say about the way that game was called from behind home plate.

Comment

Originally posted by txsteele View Post
                        Yea.....that's what made me think about it.

I would think that the MLB Home Office would have something to say about the way that game was called from behind home plate.
                        That Gurriel AB was one of the worst jobs by a home plate umpire I've seen. Strike 3 was 6 inches in.

Comment

This writer just about sums it up with some of the horrible officiating that is going on right now whether it be MLB, NFL, or NBA. I think they should have to be held to a standard like the European Football (Soccer) officials are held to. I think at the end of each month they are put before a board and reviewed and if they miss to many calls, make to many wrong calls, or anything of the matter they can be suspended. I believe that the MLS does something simular.

Comment

Originally posted by 2014FusionM View Post
                            http://www.wfaa.com/sports/mlb/range...-7-3/450127384

This writer just about sums it up with some of the horrible officiating that is going on right now whether it be MLB, NFL, or NBA. I think they should have to be held to a standard like the European Football (Soccer) officials are held to. I think at the end of each month they are put before a board and reviewed and if they miss to many calls, make to many wrong calls, or anything of the matter they can be suspended. I believe that the MLS does something simular.

I like the idea. Designate them for assignment and call someone else up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by QuackerWacker83 View Post
                              x2 !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X