JD Murphree Alligator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to know, what kind of yak you got?

Please keep us updated, I'm seriously looking forward to the gator draped over a kayak pics!

Comment

Originally posted by straightGrizzly View Post
      Ya I was worried when I read that...called and said theyd absolutely let me hunt and that they'd even work with me to get one of the closer compartments so I would have to paddle too far
      Good deal. I know a couple years before we went on our first trip down there, a kid caught a 13 footer in the main waters right by the headquarters. I would guess they might put you in Unit 2, which is like the first unit once get into WMA. They put us there due to our engine issues, and we went 2 for 2.

Comment

Be sure your insurance is paid up.

Comment

Our tags are for the first hunt. I had a jon boat located to have him flake out. Got another lined up yesterday. No way I'd try in a kayak

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            Our tags are for the first hunt. I had a jon boat located to have him flake out. Got another lined up yesterday. No way I'd try in a kayak

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            Im honestly not nervous at all, it cant be any more nerve-racking than BTB fishing at the rigs with a kayak that always seems freakier to me.

Comment

Good luck. We will be there the 11th and 12th. We are first timers as well but looking forward to the challenge.

Comment

I'm gonna rely on a line set to catch one because the thought of arrowing a gator from my kayak gives me the willies a little
                It's really not a big deal. I harvested a 9'6" gator with archery gear a couple years ago while standing in the reeds in 2-3' of water. I located a gator I wanted while glassing downstream and had my Dad drop me off on the bank about 150 yards from him. I poured some rotten chicken juice out and threw a chicken quarters in top of a log hanging over he water. I then setup 10 yards from the bait standing in the water with a small opening to shoot through when he came by.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                  It's really not a big deal. I harvested a 9'6" gator with archery gear a couple years ago while standing in the reeds in 2-3' of water. I located a gator I wanted while glassing downstream and had my Dad drop me off on the bank about 150 yards from him. I poured some rotten chicken juice out and threw a chicken quarters in top of a log hanging over he water. I then setup 10 yards from the bait standing in the water with a small opening to shoot through when he came by.

Man that sounds awesome, congrats on a hell of a gator. How did he react when you stuck him? and how many arrows did you end up having to put in him?

Comment

I really don't think that if you kill a 9.5'+ gator that you will be able to succesfully get you and it back to where you launched. I gator hunt and kill 25-35 a year, a 9 foot alligator even in my 18 foot surface drive boat shifts a ton of weight. I think anyone that has been around a gator after it has been shot can agree that even though it is "dead" it really isn't dead for at least a couple hours. Couple that with the fact that a gator is essentially a lopsided "noodle", I just see it going bad and that kayak ending tipped over. A 5-6 foot gator would be fine, but if you catch a decent sized one you will experience exactly what I'm explaining I think. I would try to find a boat. If it wasn't during the middle of the work week I'd offer to bring mine and come help. Good luck, the issue isn't setting the line, catching the gator, or really even killing it, it's loading it on the kayak once it's dead and making it back to where you launch with you and it on the kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                      I really don't think that if you kill a 9.5'+ gator that you will be able to succesfully get you and it back to where you launched. I gator hunt and kill 25-35 a year, a 9 foot alligator even in my 18 foot surface drive boat shifts a ton of weight. I think anyone that has been around a gator after it has been shot can agree that even though it is "dead" it really isn't dead for at least a couple hours. Couple that with the fact that a gator is essentially a lopsided "noodle", I just see it going bad and that kayak ending tipped over. A 5-6 foot gator would be fine, but if you catch a decent sized one you will experience exactly what I'm explaining I think. I would try to find a boat. If it wasn't during the middle of the work week I'd offer to bring mine and come help. Good luck, the issue isn't setting the line, catching the gator, or really even killing it, it's loading it on the kayak once it's dead and making it back to where you launch with you and it on the kayak.
                      Oh Ive definitely thought about that, and the TPWD guys that are running the hunt I talked to seemed more than willing to help me out if that ended up being the case.

Comment

Im going to look at a boat this week to take on this hunt. If you had drawn the same days as my wife and I, Id let you roll with us.

Assuming the rig is as described.

Comment

Man that sounds awesome, congrats on a hell of a gator. How did he react when you stuck him? and how many arrows did you end up having to put in him?
                          I put the initial shot right behind his head and he took off, I admit I was a little nervous that he would come my direction. He headed to the middle of the canal in deeper water. I radioed my Dad to come pick me up and we spotted the float about 100 yards down the canal. If you catch one on hook & line they will float up easily and you just finish them off...nothing like you see on tv. Stick an arrow in one first and when they come to the boat it is exactly like you see on Swamp People...he was ******. I was able to get another arrow in him as backup and after a short fight I finished him off with the firearm before loading him in the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            Im going to look at a boat this week to take on this hunt. If you had drawn the same days as my wife and I, Id let you roll with us.

Assuming the rig is as described.
                            I appreciate it, I hope you and the wife have a good trip and tag out!

Comment

I got a couple of muzzy gator getter arrows for the hunt. Can I use a regular foam target for practice or is there a better method?

Comment

I shot at two liter coke bottles sitting in the grass. I would stand on the deck of my boat that was on the trailer. I have never shot a fishing arrow into a foam target. I imagine it would a pain to remove.

Comment

Working...
                                X