Food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Centex View Post
    Good day for pictures. My micro plot has really taken off in the past week. Ended up with a mix from the feed store because they were out of milo and cow peas the week we got alot of rain.

My blind is in the red box.
    Looks great! How long ago did you plant? And was fertilizer used?

Comment

I planted March 19 about 3 hours before we got 4.83" of rain.

Comment

Good day for pictures. My micro plot has really taken off in the past week. Ended up with a mix from the feed store because they were out of milo and cow peas the week we got alot of rain.

My blind is in the red box.
        Cool! Looks like you've got it going your way for sure.

Comment

Finally got back out there and took a few pics of how mine is doing. One is doing quite a bit better than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
            No mix. Ill take and broadcast fertilizer, then a little grain sorghum and let that get a little rain. Then Ill take and pull my yetter 71 flex four row planter through it with lab lab in a couple hoppers soybeans in one then burgundy beans in another. I may change it up in a couple of sections of the plot to get more soybeans in. But with the weatherman talking drought again at least 50% will be lab lab. Ill also plant the sorghum sudangrass (maxi gain) as a border around the plot and some strips through it so the deer will feel more secure during daylight. Planting this screen or cover around the plot makes a huge difference in how many deer use the plot during daylight hours. Before I would do this you might see a few deer, now on a good day it will be over 20. Total plot size about 10 acres. Its hell working dirt for a plot this size around here with the little tractor I have. Its just a 38 hp 4wd kubota. The soil here is Lake Charles clay, it gets hard as concrete with no rain, but if its wet its just super sticky nasty stuff. But it holds what rain you do get very good, its just hell to work.
            Sounds like you have some good "quipment" to work with. I plant 2-3 acres with my 40 horse and it takes a good day to prep and plant everything....with 10 acres it would take me a week. But anytime on the tractor is very therapeutic.

Comment

What's in your mix Centex? Looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                Sounds like you have some good "quipment" to work with. I plant 2-3 acres with my 40 horse and it takes a good day to prep and plant everything....with 10 acres it would take me a week. But anytime on the tractor is very therapeutic.
                Its taken me years and years to get there. If you buy good stuff it will last though. I started putting in plots (winter time hunting plots) about 6 or 7 years ago with a 4ft tiller, a 50lb tow behind spreader behind the 4 wheeler, and a drag made of chained together old lumber. Now I still have that stuff, and also a 5 shank chisel plow, 6 1/2 foot disk, a heavy drag , 550 lb cyclone spreader, 6 foot brushhog and a four row flex planter. That tiller was hell breaking new ground. This is only the second year for me to put in a summer plot. Id say the two most important things Ive learned are to go big or go home, and make sure you have good screening cover. My deer density is so high if you plant a small plot they will keep it eaten to the dirt and wont be near as attractive. The screening cover has really helped seeing deer during legal hours. The summer plots are tough being so weather dependent, but around her winter time is always going to have enough rain, even last season. It took me exactly one week to get the dirt ready, well over 40 hrs of tractor riding. I hope the weather cooperates this year. Im starting to think I may not fertilize to save some money and just fertilize the hunting plot when I plant it for the winter.

Yalls plots are looking great this year the deer have to be enjoying them, im hoping to follow suit with some well timed rain once I plant, and get some nice lush green growth like yall have. Did yall fertilize?

Comment

What's in your mix Centex? Looking good.
                  My local feed store was out of iron clay peas the weekend I wanted to plant, so I bought a "Spring Wildlife Mix". I don't remeber excatly but I know it had iron clay peas, milo, sunflower, soy, and three others. I did add in some clover that i had previous purchased. Got half an inch of rain yesterday!

Comment

My local feed store was out of iron clay peas the weekend I wanted to plant, so I bought a "Spring Wildlife Mix". I don't remeber excatly but I know it had iron clay peas, milo, sunflower, soy, and three others. I did add in some clover that i had previous purchased. Got half an inch of rain yesterday!
                    That sounds like the BWI Spring mix that I planted for my Dad at his place.
                    We are getting some at my place right now. Should have germination by next week!

Comment

Checked on the food plot last night. Eveything is doing well except for the soy beans. I kind of expected as much. I would not have planted any if it had not been a mix. Jumped a couple of deer while roaming around and got to see the first velvet of the year. How are everyone else's plots doing?

Comment

Have a whole bunch of inch and a half tall soybeans, lablab, and burgundy beans. Still disking and getting ready to plant the rest of it. Havent had any rain in two weeks, that sure would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                          Have a whole bunch of inch and a half tall soybeans, lablab, and burgundy beans. Still disking and getting ready to plant the rest of it. Havent had any rain in two weeks, that sure would help.
                          Yeah i sure would! i planted a couple of weeks ago and only got a little rain in east Texas.

Comment

I'm scared to look at mine. No rain in 3 weeks...Will get out there next week and take some pics. Supposed to rain on Tuesday so maybe that will give it a boost.

Comment

I'm scared to look at mine. No rain in 3 weeks...Will get out there next week and take some pics. Supposed to rain on Tuesday so maybe that will give it a boost.
                              We looked a ours after 3 weeks of little rain. They didn't look good at all.... Il try to post up some pics

Comment

I plant cow peas every year. The deer here won't eat it until it pods but as soon as it does the tops of every one are gone!
                                I planted soy beans this year, for the first time, and they're coming up good right along side the cow peas.
                                Will try to get pics soon...

Comment

Working...
                                X