Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will a 90hp pull a skier on a 21ft pontoon

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
    A light person can probably get up on 2 skis but a 200+ lb person would probably never get up on a 66" slalom even with just the driver on board. My brother has a 22' toon w/ Yamaha 90 4stroke and no way that dog will pull a skier especially with any people on board. A 115 might barely do it and a 150 surely would if prop was correct. To pull skiers you need both power and speed. 32 mph for a slalom. 26-28 for 2 skis.

Also a lot can depend on the boat itself. All Toons ain't created equal.

I had a 26' triple toon in college with a 115 merc. It had lifting strakes also. I pulled up a skier and kneeboard at the same time with 14 people sitting on the boat with me.

It's not about motor on a toon. It's about getting out of the water. That's where strakes make a HUGE DIFFERENCE

It's like 500$ add on on a toon and nobody gets em. It's dumb. But throw in those moveable drink holders I'll take 3 of those at 100$ each. Knuckleheads
    Last edited by super_dave; 06-19-2017, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I've skied behind my dad's tritoon with a 115. Worked fine but I did weigh about 140 at the time. May be a little different now. But a lot of people don't understand prop pitch, the stock prop will not do what you need it to. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
        It depends on the size and level of the skier.
        Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        A skier good enough to get up behind that boat will also be good enough to not want to ski behind a toon.
        x2

We knee boarded behind my old boat with a 90 and that was about it. I venture to say it would come out of the hole 4 times faster than a 21' pontoon with the same motor

Comment

Tube or kneeboard you're good. Skis not likely

Comment

I wouldn't think a pontoon would go fast enough for a skier. It has been A LONG time ago, but we pulled skiers about 30 mph.

Comment

My 22ft toon with a 90hp will run 23ish WOT unloaded. Put a few people on board and that numbers starts dropping. I would say it could pull an experienced light weight skier out of the water (only a couple of people on the boat), but it is obviously not ideal.

Comment

They better be strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigCntry View Post
                  They better be strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  And tough... and have good lungs...

Comment

A pontoon more then likely will not pull a skier but knee board and tube no problem a regular little fiberglass with a 85 will though but it's a different type hole shot for a boat and pontoon! Pontoons glide don't plane out !

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                      Come out the hole on two skis and drop one.
                      Dat right there is Ole School

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                        Dat right there is Ole School
                        D ick Pope Jr's and a Connely honeycomb

Comment

Working...
                        X