Lieca Geovid HD-Y vs Swarovski EL Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lieca Geovid HD-Y vs Swarovski EL Range

Anyone compared the two? I picked up a set of the HD-Y 10x42s new in box. I have a pair of Swarovski EL 10x42s that are non hd. 2006 models. The liecas are brand new but the more square ones. And the Y series is the 1400 yard RF without built in ballistics computer which I have heard isn't real good anyway.... So how does the glass compare? Swaro HD vs Lieca HD
    ANd my 2006 model 10x42 ELs may be for sale soon if I like these like I think I will Along with my sig kilo rangefinder lol

When I compared them I could not tell any difference in the glass but I have not compared them in low light conditions. When I compared the rangefinders the Swarovski won hands down were faster and worked much better to get readings at longer distances. With that being said I just sent my Swarovski in to have the rangefinder repaired because they are draining the battery while not in use.

Comment

Thank you. Bump

Comment

I prefer Leica optics typically because I feel they make a much more rugged binocular and have slightly better optical quality. But some on here have had bad experience with their customer service (I have never encountered this, but that is because my binocs have never needed to be repaired). Swarovski makes a great product, and I carry mine often, but they have been in for service more than once. But it's never a headache to get them fixed.

All that said, I did coonfinger both of those products at the Dallas safari club show this year and I would choose the Leica as I prefer their ergonomics, and I saw no noticeable difference in speed between The two. Good luck in your research!

Comment

Up

Comment

The HD-Y I looked thru were 8 x 56 and really gathered light. But its not a direct comparison to your 10 x 42. Knowing what I do now, I would have much preferred the Leica HD-Y rather than the HD-B I bought. I think you made the right choice if you like them.
            The glass on both Leica and Swaro is made by Schott. My guess would be the only difference between the two would be manufacturing process and design.
            I may sell my HD-B as Leica sent me new ones after warranty issues.

Comment

I have a pair of the Leica HDB. Glass and ballistic computer have been good to me so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                The HD-Y I looked thru were 8 x 56 and really gathered light. But its not a direct comparison to your 10 x 42. Knowing what I do now, I would have much preferred the Leica HD-Y rather than the HD-B I bought. I think you made the right choice if you like them.
                The glass on both Leica and Swaro is made by Schott. My guess would be the only difference between the two would be manufacturing process and design.
                I may sell my HD-B as Leica sent me new ones after warranty issues.
                Why do you think the HD-Y is better over the B? In my price situation it was a no brainer but I am curious. And I believe they have the exact same glass just one has the built in ballistics. Correct?

Comment

I looked at both and decided on the Leicas. Glass seemed the same to me. The price was better on the Leicas and if you are a bowhunter the Leicas would range down to 10 and the Swaros wouldn't go under 30.

Comment

I have the Swaros, my hunting buddy has the Leicas. They both have great glass. I prefer the ergonomics of the Swaros. Can't go wrong with either pair.

Comment

I have an older pair of Leica 10x42 Geovids and have always liked them. My buddy who hunts with me for Mule Deer in West Texas has the new Swaro's. Comparing them side by side the Swaros are much better hands down under all conditions from ranging to low light conditions to weight, etc while hunting last year. Not really that close to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Why do you think the HD-Y is better over the B? In my price situation it was a no brainer but I am curious. And I believe they have the exact same glass just one has the built in ballistics. Correct?
                        Price and a little disappointed in the B after the rangefinder quit working. I cant answer you on the glass being the same, sorry.

Yes, B has ballistics and goes to 2200 yards.

The Y is 1100.00 cheaper, so that could have been 1100.00 I could use for my Mountain Lion mount

Comment

Working...
                        X