Oklahoma buck (long read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma buck (long read)

I killed this buck on November 8th , just now getting around to doing a write up on it . We hunt in southwest Oklahoma just across the river north of Quanah anyway I had seen and passed this buck last year as he was a pretty nice 8 pretty wide but short tines ,fast forward to this year the first Friday of bow season I get to the ranch in time for the evening hunt and my first hunt of the year I was hunting a hand corn spot out of a tent blind next to a crp field so I get their and spread out my corn and get into my blind well as the sun starts getting low I realize that I have to shut one of my windows facing west to block the sun and when I was spreading my corn I had thrown some out in front of the window I had to shut , no biggie I had corn out all around my other shooting windows so a few deer show up and are eating the corn after a little while I look out to the west and see a buck so I pull the binocs up and see that it is a pretty good buck so he is walking in from the west and walks up to the hand corn that is in front of the closed window due to the sun and feeds for a little while I haven't got a good look at the buck yet but waiting on him to clear the window in to a open window where the other deer are feeding so I can see exactly what he is but he feeds their for a few minutes and turns and walks back the way he came and me never getting a good look and not knowing who or what he was , so hunt their the next morning don't see much so after the hunt I check a few cameras and he is on one of the feeders in the same general area and that is when we recognize who it is short wide eight as we call him and he has grown quite a bit tines still not that long but wide and quite a bit more mass and a huge body we are thinking he is 5-1/2 , no sighting the rest of the weekend , so I get back the following Friday and I am running a little behind I go back to the same set and as I get about fifty yards from the blind I realize I don't have my release with me as I was shooting my bow during the week and didn't put it back in my pack and it is 4 miles back to camp so I go ahead and spread my corn out and settle in the blind really hoping I don't see anything since I won't be able to shoot without my release, well it is getting pretty late and no deer which is fine and then I see a deer working it's way in and guess who it is of course it is him he comes in to 20 yards and eats corn until dark while I just set their and watch him. Well for the next few weeks I never see him again while on stand but he has been on camera pretty regular on another set early in the mornings, so come the first week of November I take vacation and plan on spending the week hunting him as we are not really seeing any mature bucks I decide to put all of my effort into him so on Saturday morning I hunt the set that he has been on camera the most and I get settled in and before daylight I see a deer walk in to the feeder I pull up my binocs and sure enough it is him still way to dark to shoot he looks under the feeder no corn on the ground from the night before so he moves along , so I am hoping that after the feeder goes off he will come back but no dice, so for the next three or four days the wind is supposed to be out of the north and this set is for a south wind so I set up another tent blind for a north wind, so I hunt it for couple more sets and no sightings so move to another part of the ranch for a few hunts. Well come thurs the 8th the wind is supposed to change from the north to east and then south pretty early in the morning so I figure I have about two hours before wind changes so I go in early that morning this time I bring on a little hand corn and put under the feeder hoping if he comes in early he may stick around a little longer , anyway I am settled in the blind and at 6:05 a deer walks in still dark and sure enough it is him he comes in and eats for a few minutes and I am hoping he stays around until shooting light but no he moves along after a few minutes and I am thinking I am not gonna be able to kill this deer he just won't show up after daylight, so feeder goes off and a doe and two yearlings come in and start eating I am pretty down as my week is coming to a end pretty quick and not much to show , all of the sudden the doe looks up and takes off and right behind her I see a buck chasing behind her couldn't tell much just a buck chasing her , well the yearlings are still their and after about 10 minutes the Doe comes walking back in but nothing behind her oh well I think that's about right , the doe and one of the yearlings walk off the other yearling is still eating and throws his head up so I look out my left window and here he comes walking down the road coming into the corn , I grab my bow he walks in to 21 yards broadside I pull back and let it go upon impact the shot looks a little low he mule kicks and runs off, for some reason I didn't watch him as he ran into the woods freaked out a little i guess so I am a little worried about the shot being low so I give it a hour I get out and walk over to where he was standing at the shot I find my arrow and it is covered tip to tip with blood this deer is dead I say to myself and look up the trail and their he lays 30 yards from the shot perfect heart shot. Anyway he is by no means a giant but he is a mature deer we figure he is 5-1/2 years old he field dressed 197#'s and scored 139 4/8 I am proud of this deer and wanted to share the story , sorry for long read !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waydago, great buck and write up

Comment

Congrats, great looking buck!

Comment

Stud 8!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Yep way Long, great pic and buck!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Great Buck

Comment

Great deer, congratulations! Good story to boot.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a good one !!!!

Comment

Appreciate it guys !!

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations Brian and well deserved a lot of hard work and hard hunting was put into this buck !

Comment

Boom goes the dynamite. Yep. That was long, I skipped it and right to the pic, lol. Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X