Farmer’s Market Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmer’s Market Prices

We go to farmer’s markets probably twice a month. It’s a great way to get the kids out of the house on Saturday morning and they seem to eat more when we let them pick out their own food.

Part of the appeal is supposed to be (or I thought so anyways) lower prices because you’re buying straight from the farm. That doesn’t seem to be the case though.

The going rate for eggs at the two markets we go to is $6 per dozen (and they always seem to sell out) while organic free range from H-E-B are under $4 per dozen. Grass fed filets are $25-30/ lb, sometimes more, and are always very lean. The big H-E-B has grass fed filets that sometimes rival their prime filets in marbling at $23/ lb.

Anybody have an explanation for this? What am I missing?

The almighty $

Comment

I think some "farmers" just buy and re-sell......

Comment

Most likely just capitalism at work due to the organic/clean eating/farm to table trend.

Comment

They are paying for space at the Farmer Market. If I could sell eggs for $.05 each our $.08 each and I was going to sell all I had atveither price it’s a no brainer. Supply/Demand

Comment

It cost the small producers more to generate a dz eggs than say pilgrims

Plus the people who buy the things for sale are usually willing to pay a little more because they did not come from a commercial farm

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
              I think some "farmers" just buy and re-sell......
              I have noticed this also in some cases. You have to know what you are buying and what seasonal vegetables are available.

Comment

Kinda like gun shows. Wholesale to the unsuspecting/gullible public.

Comment

Your paying for quality at a farmers market. “Grass fed” at a store doesn’t mean anything. The standards that let them say grass fed are minimal. It would need to say grass fed and finished. More than likely the stuff you would buy at a farmers market is actually grass fed and finished if sold by and actual farm. Same with the eggs and “free range”. But you should always look into and ask questions about the product even at a farmers market.

Comment

I’m not sure which market you are going to . When I as growing up in the 60’s and 70’s
                    We would go to the downtown Dallas market. It was4 pavilions back then.
                    In the day they were actual farmers locally grown. If you look close, today many are just buying produce from a distributor and re-selling it. They may take it from a box and display it in acute basket but it’s not what it used to be.

As a kid I loved the smell of the market on a warm summer morning.
                    Today 3 of the 4 pavilions have been torn down to build shops for hard goods. But they still call it the farmers market.

You don’t even see the road side stands that local farmers used to have. We always bought produce off the side of the road anytime we went east of Mesquite.

I haven’t seen a Black Diamond watermelon for 15 years or for. I miss that.

Comment

I don't think they are supposed to be cheaper. I think the appeal is you are supporting small local farmers and local economies, getting fresher foods because usually you are getting food that is in season and not shipped from a hot house somewhere, and you know where your food is coming from since often times you can talk to the farmers. Back in PA I was invited more than once to visit their farm to see for myself they are really cage free and free range chickens for example. Of course that is not always the case with resellers nowadays. But these small local farmers aren't selling in commercial bulk, so I wouldn't expect cheaper than you can get at the store. At least that is how I always looked at it.

Comment

I’d guess they are selling a few eggs vs millions. It’s probably helping a local farmer that doesn’t sell to box stores. Good stuff.

Comment

I'm a small farmer and beekeeper. We sell our local, fresh vegetables and honey at a farmers market; additionally, we have weekly customers that purchase CSA (community supported agriculture) season vegetables. At the farmers market I sell at, the organizers don't allow re-sells. In fact they come to your farm to make sure you're not going down to the NAFTA market in Houston, buying Mexican vegetables and up charging.

We also sell to some "farm to table restaurants" - although many of those chefs can be difficult to deal with. The issue isn't cheaper necessarily - it's knowing where your food is grown. That matters to some people and some people don't care. Hell you can go to Walmart and buy cheap eggs, tomatoes or Chinese honey but many of my customers like knowing the farmer and where their food is grown.

Comment

Originally posted by sticks View Post
                            I’m not sure which market you are going to . When I as growing up in the 60’s and 70’s
                            We would go to the downtown Dallas market. It was4 pavilions back then.
                            In the day they were actual farmers locally grown. If you look close, today many are just buying produce from a distributor and re-selling it. They may take it from a box and display it in acute basket but it’s not what it used to be.

As a kid I loved the smell of the market on a warm summer morning.
                            Today 3 of the 4 pavilions have been torn down to build shops for hard goods. But they still call it the farmers market.

You don’t even see the road side stands that local farmers used to have. We always bought produce off the side of the road anytime we went east of Mesquite.

I haven’t seen a Black Diamond watermelon for 15 years or for. I miss that.
                            Yep. Grew up going to the Dallas Farmers Market. The neighbors would go in together and buy stuff by the bushel and split it up. I snapped many a green bean in my youth.

Comment

Part of its that they can sell it for that price because people buy it. I know a similar one... you talking about the one in westchase? People eat up that farm fresh label and pay out the wazoo. I normally only buy produce since that's fairly priced, and one or two ubique items. The other part of their pricing is theyre accounting for travel, and some level of making up for what might not sell.

Comment

Working...
                              X