Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Sonora TX 2017-2018

My buddy's went this past week and said everything is green and looks good. Did a weeks worth of work while I was on vacation and missed the trip ! Cleaned up around camp, fixed the road and only had 1 rattler in camp.
      Filled protein feeders, ate and drank well !

Cleared some lanes

Mowed around camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How's the axis hunting going? We've had some rifle kills on our lease, but it's near impossible to get on one within bow range. They aren't coming to the feeders at all. We don't really have a water hole that is in a good spot for a bow setup, other than just placing a popup blind on the ground and hoping they don't come in downwind.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
          I hunt off Baker road which is the exit 420.
          We exit Baker road and go south of the interstate, we hunt the Balch Ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            How's the axis hunting going? We've had some rifle kills on our lease, but it's near impossible to get on one within bow range. They aren't coming to the feeders at all. We don't really have a water hole that is in a good spot for a bow setup, other than just placing a popup blind on the ground and hoping they don't come in downwind.

Spot and Stalk is about the only way I've gotten close to them.. We have goats and cows throughout the entire property so no hand corning and like you said they don't go to feeders. I've been going after one with my bow for sometime now on the spot and stalk. Been very close multiple times and have had opportunities to shoot 28-30 inchers multiple times, but have passed since I've already shot 7 axis since September (rifle). With that said all I do is walk and walk. Most days I average 5-7 miles between morning and afternoon hunts. Most of my encounters are in the mesquites where i'll find a group laying down or feeding. I'll slowly make my way to them, sometimes crawling or inching on my stomach, and then wait till they make moves. Can take hours, but its fun to be that close and watch them in their natural environment. I've had them come 10 yards from me and stare for 10 minutes barking at me and then they just go back to what they were doing.

Last trip, (April) I regret not shooting a buck in velvet that presented a perfect opportunity. Came up on a group one afternoon that had a nice hard horn buck so decided to go after him. (Low on funds right now and don't want to pay extra since Im planning on shoulder mounting my first axis bow kill). Eventually I got into a stare off with the buck at about 25 yards. Was very intense, couldn't move and was on my hands and knees. Went on for about 15 minutes and then he ran off about 10 yards and turned back to stare at me again. This was really cool because he started doing all the dipping of the head to see under the mesquites. Eventually he just walked off to meet the group which was now heading away. I decided to try and cut them off so got up and backed out some and made a loop around them. As i was coming around some mesquites i popped right up in front of them. The group was heading my way roughly about 40 yards from me. I got down and knocked an arrow. I was only behind a bush and had a perfect shooting lane. Most the group went just outside my lane but one decent velvet buck was coming right for it. I looked him over and figured he was about 29 inches and decided to pass. He steps out slightly quartering away in my lane at 25 yards and stops. He looks at me and thats when i saw the extra 2-3 inch tine coming off his main beam. We had a stare down and then he trotted off.

It's hard work, but one of my favorite ways to hunt them. Can't get enough of watching them do there thing in a natural setting.

Last thing I'll say is I've been fortunate to hunt a place that has more axis then you can handle (low fence). Over 20 bucks shot since September and doesn't even seem to be a dent in the population. So this plays a factor in being able to spot and stalk and be successful finding them. Also its mostly flat making hiking a lot easier. I've hunted other places and not so sure about spot and stalk with a bow. Would probably be better off hand corning if possible.

Comment

I shot a nice Axis (32") the other day @ 12 yards next to a free choice feeder filled with Sweet Feed, Protein & Corn. I'll get pics on here soon. At least for me, I think having a free choice feeder in a very quiet area (large sanctuary) and that is rarely hunted. I also think what helped was using a feeder that keeps feed off the ground, which means pigs don't come around was key! The area stays nice & quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cajun View Post
                Spot and Stalk is about the only way I've gotten close to them.. We have goats and cows throughout the entire property so no hand corning and like you said they don't go to feeders. I've been going after one with my bow for sometime now on the spot and stalk. Been very close multiple times and have had opportunities to shoot 28-30 inchers multiple times, but have passed since I've already shot 7 axis since September (rifle). With that said all I do is walk and walk. Most days I average 5-7 miles between morning and afternoon hunts. Most of my encounters are in the mesquites where i'll find a group laying down or feeding. I'll slowly make my way to them, sometimes crawling or inching on my stomach, and then wait till they make moves. Can take hours, but its fun to be that close and watch them in their natural environment. I've had them come 10 yards from me and stare for 10 minutes barking at me and then they just go back to what they were doing.

Last trip, (April) I regret not shooting a buck in velvet that presented a perfect opportunity. Came up on a group one afternoon that had a nice hard horn buck so decided to go after him. (Low on funds right now and don't want to pay extra since Im planning on shoulder mounting my first axis bow kill). Eventually I got into a stare off with the buck at about 25 yards. Was very intense, couldn't move and was on my hands and knees. Went on for about 15 minutes and then he ran off about 10 yards and turned back to stare at me again. This was really cool because he started doing all the dipping of the head to see under the mesquites. Eventually he just walked off to meet the group which was now heading away. I decided to try and cut them off so got up and backed out some and made a loop around them. As i was coming around some mesquites i popped right up in front of them. The group was heading my way roughly about 40 yards from me. I got down and knocked an arrow. I was only behind a bush and had a perfect shooting lane. Most the group went just outside my lane but one decent velvet buck was coming right for it. I looked him over and figured he was about 29 inches and decided to pass. He steps out slightly quartering away in my lane at 25 yards and stops. He looks at me and thats when i saw the extra 2-3 inch tine coming off his main beam. We had a stare down and then he trotted off.

It's hard work, but one of my favorite ways to hunt them. Can't get enough of watching them do there thing in a natural setting.

Last thing I'll say is I've been fortunate to hunt a place that has more axis then you can handle (low fence). Over 20 bucks shot since September and doesn't even seem to be a dent in the population. So this plays a factor in being able to spot and stalk and be successful finding them. Also its mostly flat making hiking a lot easier. I've hunted other places and not so sure about spot and stalk with a bow. Would probably be better off hand corning if possible.
                The one that Zach killed the other day with his rifle was a stalking hunt like that. We stopped at about 75 yards, but we probably could have crawled closer to get within 30-40 yards if we'd had to. I agree that stalking is probably the best way to get close. If you had the right kind of set up on a water hole, that would probably work too. Both would be more productive than sitting on a feeder.

I love hunting spot and stalk, whether it's with a bow or a rifle. We've seen a really huge buck that I'm after. I'd be happy to take him with my rifle. If I'm successful, I'll definitely be after more with my bow.

Comment

Sonora TX 2017-2018

Get you one of these and keep it full of protein. Your out of range problem will be solved.

This mornings breakfast group

Last edited by Stolle; 06-20-2017, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Shane- every time you talk about the location of the ranch you are hunting on out there, it sure sounds like it is in the same vicinity as mine. When you go into town in Roosevelt and pass Simon Bros., the first county road to your right is I believe 260. We wind back and forth on those dirt/paved roads for 13 miles until we reach our destination. Do you keep going through town on the main drag, or is your place a bit north as well?

Comment

This is how we have killed 90% of ours over the last ten years or so. Occasionally you will have one come into a feeder but much better odds with spot and stalk, plus its a whole lot more fun

Originally posted by The Cajun View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                        Get you one of these and keep it full of protein. Your out of range problem will be solved.

This mornings breakfast group

We have a bunch of free choice protein feeders. We just haven't filled them up. We started with timed feeders in hopes that we could get them coming during daylight rather than feeding at night. Hasn't worked so far. We'll probably fill the protein feeders soon.

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
                        Shane- every time you talk about the location of the ranch you are hunting on out there, it sure sounds like it is in the same vicinity as mine. When you go into town in Roosevelt and pass Simon Bros., the first county road to your right is I believe 260. We wind back and forth on those dirt/paved roads for 13 miles until we reach our destination. Do you keep going through town on the main drag, or is your place a bit north as well?
                        No, I'm south of I-10.

Comment

We have a bunch of free choice protein feeders. We just haven't filled them up. We started with timed feeders in hopes that we could get them coming during daylight rather than feeding at night. Hasn't worked so far. We'll probably fill the protein feeders soon.

No, I'm south of I-10.

Our neighbors have a 2500# free choice and the axis empty it in 2 weeks. Keep an eye out for used timed feeders. This way they eat when you want them too[emoji6]

Comment

Think I may head out on Sunday evening to get a few days of relaxing in at the ranch. Not sure how much hunting will be done, but hopefully at least one or two stalks.

Google maps has always shown a route that takes you through some county roads/ranch roads to get to bond road from I10 rather than going to Sonora and then back down. Anyone familiar with county road 312 or ranch road 3130?

Comment

Anybody know of any rental cabins between Junction and Sonora? I know the Simons have Copperas Creek Cabins. Any others?

Comment

Anybody know of any rental cabins between Junction and Sonora? I know the Simons have Copperas Creek Cabins. Any others?

I know of some on the river North of Junction.

Comment

Working...
                                X