No announcement yet.

Stained concrete problems. Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks awful & is not acceptable. I don't know how to fix it but I wouldn't accept it!

Comment

This is the very reason I decided against stained concrete in our house build. We looked at probably 2 dozen houses with it from brand new to 10 years old and they were all over the place. Some looked good but many did not.

Too much inconsistency for
      My liking plus I couldn't get past the echo and the comfort feel (or lack thereof) in the house when it was cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would look at ceramic tile floors that look like wood. It is real popular right now. I appraise houses for mortgage companies and some of the new homes I have done it is hard tell it is not wood. It will be more durable and help with re-sale down the road. Builder should have to cover the additional cost. Good Luck.

Comment

Sorry about your experience. We have stained concrete throughout and LOVE them!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            This is the very reason I decided against stained concrete in our house build. We looked at probably 2 dozen houses with it from brand new to 10 years old and they were all over the place. Some looked good but many did not.

Too much inconsistency for
            My liking plus I couldn't get past the echo and the comfort feel (or lack thereof) in the house when it was cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            We have it in our lake home, I was the contractor, went through great pain to protect the floors, still had several imperfections, when the painters masked off the base board the sealer and stain came up with tape, what a pain in the butt, we have rugs everywhere to dampen the echo in the house, I like it ok but I would not lose sleep over it if I had to install wood or tile downstairs.

Comment

Stained concrete is a one shot deal. Once something has been spilled, sat, or taped onto the concrete it is too late. My sheet rock guys did a great job covering mine, and I left that covering on the floor the rest of the construction.

I think you are going to have to look at other flooring options. Sorry.

Comment

The builder is convienced he can grind it out and fix it. The stain guy thinks other wise but is going to try a spot this evening to see. If im not convience or satisfied im going to let the builder know. I tried to be professional when we met this morning, but anything close to the current situation and we will have to see about a diffrent route. Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

I've said it on here before but stained concrete has the highest dissatisfaction rate of all flooring. Most of my builders charge $10-15 sqft to do stained concrete just to scare people away from it. Now that being said I have done plenty of it and yes it's all about protecting the slab from day one. Once anything other than water touches the concrete all bets are off. By the way tell them not to seal it or it will have to be removed to install wood/tile over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We did it in our kitchen and looked great from the get to, but after a while, due to normal traffic and cleaning chemicals and so forth, we are very dissatisfied with it. Now I have to strip the seal off and put down tile. Save yourself the frustration and just tile.

Comment

Sorry for the bad experience. We tried our hand at stained concrete and the results were terrible. We are going to cover it with vinyl plank flooring.

About the same time we did our concrete, some friends were staining the concrete in their new home and they were not very happy with their results either. I don't think their floors turned out that bad and most of the areas they were unhappy with were easily covered by furniture or rugs.

Comment

Is this is what it's supposed to look like.
                        Trust me,... Prep. is the key... This was the first stained floor my contractor
                        ever did... I thought it turned out nice...
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0246.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	24498997

Comment

Ours was protected from the day they poured the slab. Framers knew it was to be stained and used a certain type of chalk lines. Nails and materials were kept off the slab. As soon as it was dried in they stained and then covered the entire house with ram board. I love our floors but I don't think I would want to go through all that hassle again. I'm fine with wood floors for the aggravation we went through.

I really don't think there is much that can be done in your case. Tuned in for the outcome though.

Comment

Maybe go to an epoxy, or a polycuramine. Look at some of the picks of Rustoleum Rocksolid. Not saying to use that particular product, but it might give you some ideas of what can be done.

Comment

Your options are wood, tile or carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by lakefork View Post
                                Your options are wood, tile or carpet.
                                It can be skim coated and stained if that is what you want, there is also a product called spray top that can be acid stained, you will be paying for a resurface in place of a new installation.

Comment

Working...
                                X