No announcement yet.

Sonora TX 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a nice buck come in and lay down about 75 yds from me. Don't think he was the giants we've been seeing, but was very nice. Probably 32 or 33". Another one walked by him going south, away from me, and the 1st one got up and followed. Couldn't see the antlers on the 2nd one. He had a big thick body though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Bucks were in the brush just beyond the feeder.

Comment

Just literally drove thru Sonora on I-10. Looks green and beautiful. Saw a few large Axis on a low fence pasture. Hope the rut is prime time for you fellas. I hunt in Leakey and Momma approved a weekend for me on Farthers day weekend !! Shot straight fellas.

Comment

Good luck Shane!

Comment

They're starting to rut. Bellows all over the place. They're not hitting the feeders much at all though. Everything is green. Lots to eat.

This morning Zach and I put the wind in our face and went slipping through the brush with our rifles. Zach saw an axis in the brush ahead, so we dripped down and crawled up to about 80 yards. There were a few small bucks and does and a couple bucks that looked to be about 30". One of them was broje off on his right side. The other one had a brow time and a 12" skinny spike on the right side. Didn't look like an injury, just freak. We decided to cull him. Zach made a great shot to the neck while the buck was needed. He never knew we'd been watching him for an hour hoping for a bigger one.

Comment

Nice one! Culls taste the same haha

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Zach's cull was 31.5" on the good side. Big cooler is full of meat.

We had a 33-34" buck and some does run right out in front of us this evening when we were sitting on the ground in some oaks. They were about 60 yards crossing right to left. Something had spooked them. I was up since Zach killed this morning. I made a quick decision to pass him though, because I've seen a couple that are real studs. I told Zach to take him if he wanted him. He got on the sticks and the buck stopped and looked back south toward where they'd come from. Just as Zach squeezed the trigger, the buck took off again. Clean miss. 50 yards later, he stopped and looked back, but there was a tree between him and Zach. Just as Zach scooted over to clear the tree, the buck took off again. Gone.

Catch and release hunting isn't all bad. We were wore out after walking the brush and cleaning deer all day. It was good to have all the excitement without the work this evening.

The hunt continues....

Comment

Congrats on the kills. The grass looks awesome down there in your pics. I am hoping to go down next week. Hoping our pastures look just as good.

Comment

The rut is definitely on, by the way. They're bellowing like crazy, and the bucks have harems of does now rather than all being in bachelor groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                        How the hunting? Just found a place off Ross Rd and don't know what to expect.
                        We hunt there, PM me

Comment

Fallow doe right? Or albino? We haven't seen any exotics yet but this also the first year on the lease and I know they're in the area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fallow.

Comment

100% fallow doe. Pretty one at that.

Comment

Yea that's a fallow for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X