Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trhunter View Post
    I think you missed his point. Are you paying to win games or are you paying to learn to play the game the right way with the correct fundamentals? If winning is the bottom line, then you can save a ton of money and just go purchase those $5 trophies. Teaching the kids to play hard, play the correct way, play for the competition and most importantly play to have fun. This should be way more important that winning.
    Totally agree with this ^^^^^
    I think and I see from some of the comments parents and coaches alike have lost sight of the fact these are 8, 9, 10 yr old kids. They just want to play baseball and have fun. There is a lot of years between 8 and being drafted or distracted by other things..... and at some point PRO has to be the thought process..... I mean why would you spend thousands of dollars for a kid to play baseball if its just for fun ?

Im just thinking out loud ......
    Last edited by Texas8point; 03-31-2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post

I think and I see from some of the comments parents and coaches alike have lost sight of the fact these are 8, 9, 10 yr old kids. They just want to play baseball and have fun. There is a lot of years between 8 and being drafted or distracted by other things..... and at some point PRO has to be the thought process..... I mean why would you spend thousands of dollars for a kid to play baseball if its just for fun ?

For a better experience. Lots of things you can do just for fun, throw a few more $$$ into and it can be a lot more fun.

Comment

My son is about to be 8 and has been getting asked lately to play but I keep putting it off. I've thought about trying to contact some of the teams from the surrounding areas and trying to have a league for the area so the kids can play a more competitive group without having to travel to much at this age.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post

I said this because I was one of those dads (when my son first started select) that if you played select then you had to win every game (put the best product on the field). As the years went by and you could see kids not loving the game (including mine) and not wanting to work hard at it anymore, my thinking started to change. Are those trophies and rings really worth it, no they are not, having fun while learning the game is way more important. If you win then that is the cherry on top. Select is not for everyone, I am a big fan of select if it is done correctly. Get with a good coach that has fun and teaches the game right, but most importantly (I cannot stress this enough) get with a great group of parents that enjoy the game and have fun. Parents are the reason the game is ruined for the kids. If you find good Parents then 99% of the time the kids will be good kids also. I would not trade the days my son played select for anything, we met some awesome friends and traveled all over playing a great game of baseball. If my son follows thru with not playing college ball then he and my family will have some of the best memories from him growing up that you could ask for. It was never about scholarships or pro ball it was about memories and being competitive. Baseball can teach a kid so much about life and those are great lessons.

Comment

TeeNap and TexasKevin are dead on. I have coached girls softball for many years....seen many girls that have played select....and many that didn't. I never slam select...I never slam little league, because at the end of the day, the cream of the crop rises to the top. Some kids have natural, God given talent that can not be taught or coached. I have seen these gifted ones roll into the High School softball season in February (after starring in basketball and volleyball in fall/winter), and the haven't touched a softball since the HS state tournament in June - step in the batters box in the first game back and hit a HR. They just have IT. These are the type of freaks of nature that play in the NFL/NBA/MLB etc - you rarely see it, but when you do, you will know it. You watch in awe. At the end of the day.....make sure your kids do it for the fun of the game, the memories, etc and enjoy your time with them!

Comment

If yall have tournaments in DFW area, I work at an indoor hitting facility. If yall are looking to use one to warm up pregame, or just get some swings in, please PM me for details. If you live here, gimme a shout. We have machines, tunnels and instructors for lessons. Baseball and hunting/fishing are two of my biggest passions, and I know theyre pricey, so Id love to help out the fellow hunters!

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                This is not true. I know of plenty of programs and baseball clubs that have some teams coached by dads with kids on the team. Those sons believe me get no special treatment just because dad is the coach and every boy has to earn their right to be at any spot on the field.
                I agree with you. I coached my son until he was 14. 18 kids that I've coached made their high school freshman team this year. Most start.

Showcase ball is different in the summers of high school, but up to age 14 you can compete with the big names. We did and we won more than our share of championships. I just loved beating the organizations.

BTW, parents from those big organizations would ask how much I charge. I said you only have to pay for the uniforms, tournaments and practice facility. Their jaws would drop. Oh, and for the naysayers that said I favored my son, nope. He played everywhere the team needed him to play, even catcher as a lefty.

Comment

The biggest problem I see with select ball is the parents period. The ones that think their kid is better than what he is stir the pot big time every year. Most of the time it's over playing time or certain position on the field or why he can't pitch on certain games " Championship" most of the time. These are also the one that put no effort in getting lessons or putting in the extra work but they think it should just be handed to them like most these days b/c it's only fair. I also think it's funny how people always start the Daddy ball stuff when their kid does not get the shot they think he deserves so the only thing they can justify is saying a coach is playing Daddy ball. Try getting your player the extra work putting in the effort talking to the coach about helping when available instead of stirring the pot. Yes there are some that play Daddy ball, but I can assure you there are a ton of coaches including myself that don't. I think a lot of parents would be better off to just let their kids play baseball and let the coaches handle it. If you don't like something address it in private and if that does not work leave pretty simple.

Comment

I said this because I was one of those dads (when my son first started select) that if you played select then you had to win every game (put the best product on the field). As the years went by and you could see kids not loving the game (including mine) and not wanting to work hard at it anymore, my thinking started to change. Are those trophies and rings really worth it, no they are not, having fun while learning the game is way more important. If you win then that is the cherry on top. Select is not for everyone, I am a big fan of select if it is done correctly. Get with a good coach that has fun and teaches the game right, but most importantly (I cannot stress this enough) get with a great group of parents that enjoy the game and have fun. Parents are the reason the game is ruined for the kids. If you find good Parents then 99% of the time the kids will be good kids also. I would not trade the days my son played select for anything, we met some awesome friends and traveled all over playing a great game of baseball. If my son follows thru with not playing college ball then he and my family will have some of the best memories from him growing up that you could ask for. It was never about scholarships or pro ball it was about memories and being competitive. Baseball can teach a kid so much about life and those are great lessons.

Great post. Me and you think alike.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                      Great post. Me and you think alike.
                      Yes we do. Tell Brendon Veit Coach Tommy said good luck. And good luck to Colton.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                        The biggest problem I see with select ball is the parents period. The ones that think their kid is better than what he is stir the pot big time every year. Most of the time it's over playing time or certain position on the field or why he can't pitch on certain games " Championship" most of the time. These are also the one that put no effort in getting lessons or putting in the extra work but they think it should just be handed to them like most these days b/c it's only fair. I also think it's funny how people always start the Daddy ball stuff when their kid does not get the shot they think he deserves so the only thing they can justify is saying a coach is playing Daddy ball. Try getting your player the extra work putting in the effort talking to the coach about helping when available instead of stirring the pot. Yes there are some that play Daddy ball, but I can assure you there are a ton of coaches including myself that don't. I think a lot of parents would be better off to just let their kids play baseball and let the coaches handle it. If you don't like something address it in private and if that does not work leave pretty simple.
                        Yep it is the Parents 99.9% of the time, the kids are happy just playing the game, but the parents ruin it.

My son played for Dynasty a few years, there are some good folks over there. Heath, Jason and MR. Gary are some good people.

Comment

Yep it is the Parents 99.9% of the time, the kids are happy just playing the game, but the parents ruin it.

My son played for Dynasty a few years, there are some good folks over there. Heath, Jason and MR. Gary are some good people.
                          Yep. My son gets hitting lesson from Heath been going to him for 4 years and still going. The others are good people and good to be around. My son still has a few years left, but I giving the coaching up my son needs to be coached by someone other than me it's just time.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                            Yep. My son gets hitting lesson from Heath been going to him for 4 years and still going. The others are good people and good to be around. My son still has a few years left, but I giving the coaching up my son needs to be coached by someone other than me it's just time.
                            I agree, when we left TE and moved over to Dynasty that is when I gave it up, Lane was 12 at the time and it was nice just being a Dad and getting to enjoy watching my son play. No stress, just get my chair have a seat and enjoy the game. We played for Heath some and took some lessons from him, but Lane enjoyed Playing with AY (think it was the kids) more so we mover over to AY's team (still with Dynasty). Those were some good years.

Comment

AY has moved over to the Madden Zone and is coaching with the Banditos now. I always liked AY good coach. Andy Yount is still with Dynasty very good coach as well.

Comment

I pretty much still agree with you. Not sure where yall play, but my son plays for cy fair in league ball and its plenty competitive for him (and lots of fun).
                                I have fun coaching and we take it serious enough for 9 yr olds.
                                I have seen kids burn out on 20, 40, 60 games and yr at 8/9/10 yrs old, ive seen parents lose their minds over it and Ive seen kids that really enjoy it.
                                So ya, its not for everyone. Im always a little sad to see the season end, but with the invites he gets to play a few extra games and I have fun watching.
                                Again, good luck all.
                                We are 2 and 0 so far this season !

Comment

Working...
                                X