Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
    Have one that not really a guest hunter and is more sad than stupid. Was on a youth hunt years ago at Kerr WMA and before the hunt they spent 30 minutes showing everyone what was and wasn't OK to shoot. They spent 10 minutes on one 2.5yr old with antlers messed up on one side they thought was probably damaged on early development. The other side was beautiful and they want everyone to leave it to see its potential next year. They showed pictures of it from every angle.

After the next morning hunt I was showing the biologists the video of a 13 pt 2.5yr old we passed on when a father/daughter show up with "the" buck we were all told not to shoot. The staff was none too happy. The dad showed us the video he was shooting at the time. What happened was 2 bucks walked out at same time. Daughter sees the off limits buck and is watching through scope and dad sees a mature buck and is watching through camera. Neither sees the other buck. You hear dad tell her to shoot it and hear her saying "but Dad! It's the wrong one". He says shoot it again and again she says "but Dad!" He tells her once again to shoot so she does and the buck in the camera doesn't fall and you hear the daughter say "I got it" and then start to cry and say it was the wrong buck. About this time the dad realizes what just happened and says "Oh No!!" and turns camera off. It was sad to see that deer taken too soon and to see that poor girl's hunt turn from joy to sorrow.
    I was on that hunt with my kids as well. Thanks for filling in the rest of the story. We didn't get any of the details.

Comment

I was in the 8th grade and my Dad and I took two doe hunters out on the ranch. Both hunters bragged about their hunting prowess and past expeditions. Both hunters were over 45 yrs. I sat with the oldest (50-55 yrs old), he had a very nice browning semi-auto 270 with a nice scope. He dressed the part of a hunter who had hunted before. No long after sitting down a single doe walked out and I gave him the clear to shoot. The doe as approximately 75 yards away standing still and broadside with good day light etc. "Boom" gun goes off and the doe hunches up and stands there and before I could tell him he hit her in the gut, he shoots again and the doe walks a few feet and lays down not dead. I put my gun up and shoot her in the head to finish her off.

He is as proud as any hunter as we are walking up he looks at her and said "alright I hit her perfect, right where I was aiming." Not sure he picked up on my shocked look on my face. I dragged the deer off to a good place to gut it and as the guy laid his gun down and retrieved his knife, he looks at me and says, "I have never gutted a deer, do you mind showing me how" I looked him straight in the eyes and said "You better have a $100 dollar bill in you pocket, because you shot this deer twice in the guts"

He only barfed 3 times while I gutted his deer and yes he did tip me that $100. And as for his shots there were with in 2" of each other right square in the middle of the deer's belly.

Comment

Crazy stories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A friend of mine went deer hunting on public hunting land. He got out there while it was still dark and got settled in to a spot he had picked out. The sun starts coming up and he can see some thing coming towards him. He claims he thought it was a coyote so he decides to shoot it. It drops and he wants to go look at his trophy coyote, he walks up on it to find that it's not a coyote, it's a Great Dane!!! Who mistakes a Great Dane for a coyote?!?! It had a collar on and everything. Story gets better, fast forward about 5 years later. A lady I was working with starts talking about her pets, and how she loves her Great Danes. Then she says that someone had shot one of her Great Danes about 5 years ago in a nation forest. I couldn't believe my ears! I bet my mouth literally hit the floor.
          Last edited by TexZ71; 11-15-2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
            So many of these stories sound very familiar. We used to take a lot of people hunting for about 15 years, we saw all types of crazy crap. We had many people show up, talking about how many deer they had killed, how they were very ethical hunters ect. Heard those stories many times.

What they did not know, is we always cleaned out blinds after someone hunted in a blind, even if someone did not hunt in a blind, we still checked them regularly, because after taking many people hunting on this one ranch, that was way off of a 14 mile long dirt county road. You had to drive through five other large ranches to get to the place, it was surrounded by a 22,000 ac. and a 18,000 ac. ranch. But after having taken many people hunting out there, we started seeing signs of someone hunting in blinds we had not put anyone in. So we made it a point to check all the blinds regularly. We eventually determined for sure, someone was coming out and hunting during the week, we were not there. Eventually we caught one guy, he lied his *** off. He got his *** chewed severely and got to meet the game warden and Sherriff. We found he added a lock to our chain and the chains on each of the other gates you had to go through, to get to the ranch.

But of the guys that we actually took out to hunt, many times we would have guys tell us, they never saw anything. After we had heard a shot or shots coming from the direction of the blind they were in. We would have guys all over the ranch. Each person would report back as to where they heard shots come from. We all knew where every blind was. So when someone shot, each of us knew most likely which blind the shot came from. But then we would all get together and compare notes and were then able to determine for sure which blind the shots came from. After the person in that blind would claim they had not seen anything. We would question them a little, then take them back to camp. Then we would go back to the blind they were in, check inside and 95% of the time, there would be one or more empty cases, of the same caliber the guy brought, that we had just had in the blind. So then we would go out looking for signs of a deer, that had been shot or shot at. Most of the time, we would find the spot where the deer had been standing, when it was shot or shot at. Then we would look for blood, hair or other signs it may have been hit. Then we would track it as far as we could. I would bet 70% of the time, we would find a dead deer within 100 yards of where the deer was shot. So we would gut the deer, load it in the truck and back to camp. Then get the guy out side, take him to the truck and show him his deer. 90% of the time, they would still claim, they had never fired a shot, some would get seriously ****** at us. Some would just swear up and down they never shot. A few would eventually admit they shot the deer. Some would admit they shot at a deer, but swear they did not hit the deer, likely they really had no clue.

Once we showed them their deer, we would load their gear up in their truck with their deer, tag their deer for them, with their tag and send them packing and make it very clear they were not welcome back. Some were understanding they made a mistake, others would be fuming mad. We did not tolerate any BS, we sent them down the road and made it clear they had better never show back up. The guy who did show back up and started poaching was one who did get highly ****** about getting kicked off of the place.

Yes, we had a guy from Dallas shoot a cow one morning, the same morning on the ranch next door, they had a guy from Dallas shoot a cow.

Many years later, I took my buddy hunting, his wife and brother in law. On that ranch, the game biologist, told us to shoot something like 37 doe the first year. We were only able to get about five people to shoot a doe. The second year, the game biologist told us to shoot 67 doe. We really pushed to get people to shoot doe. But they would shoot a buck and then claim they had no room in their freezer for any more deer. These same people would come out claiming they just were there to meat hunt, that they did not care if they shot a buck or doe, but then we could not get them to shoot a doe. We almost got to the point of either killing a doe and handing it to them or telling them they could only shoot doe or go home. But I never got the ok to do either.

So I take my buddy, his wife and brother in law out to hunt. Well the brother in law, said he wanted to shoot a buck, he wanted a big trophy buck. I told him that was not a option. he got ******. Well later when I took him to a blind and dropped him off, he wanted to make sure there were some big bucks in the area. I again made it clear, he was not allowed to shoot a buck under any circumstance. He got ****** again, then said he was going to shoot a buck. I made it clear his *** would be in a world of trouble if he did. At that point he pulled a knife on me. Then told me, I was going to let him shoot a big buck. I told him, he could put his knife away and take his *** home or I would introduce him to my 44 mag. He did not back down for a while. This was a difficult situation. His sister was my best friend's wife. Then his wife, was a woman, that was in my high school class. His sister was standing right there, when things got to the point, where I thought I was likely going to have to shoot him. He finally put the knife away. I took him back to camp and sent him home.

That was the last season we took people hunting, we had way too many problems those last two seasons.

As soon as all weapons were out of reach, me and said BIL would’ve rolling in the rocks.. The audacity of some these people is unbelievable

Comment

Had relatives come to our family owned property. Showed them several trail cam pictures of good trophy and cull bucks, and then showed them pictures of one young 8 in particular and said PLEASE do not shoot him as he was a great deer with unlimited potential. In the afternoon hunt, we heard a shot and they said they got a nice buck. 30 minutes later we heard two more shots. They claimed to have hit a spike that ran off. Upon getting to their spot, they had shot the young 8 we asked them not to shoot and had wounded the spike but was hardly any blood to trail it.

Hunting experience goes a longggg way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                So many of these stories sound very familiar. We used to take a lot of people hunting for about 15 years, we saw all types of crazy crap. We had many people show up, talking about how many deer they had killed, how they were very ethical hunters ect. Heard those stories many times.

What they did not know, is we always cleaned out blinds after someone hunted in a blind, even if someone did not hunt in a blind, we still checked them regularly, because after taking many people hunting on this one ranch, that was way off of a 14 mile long dirt county road. You had to drive through five other large ranches to get to the place, it was surrounded by a 22,000 ac. and a 18,000 ac. ranch. But after having taken many people hunting out there, we started seeing signs of someone hunting in blinds we had not put anyone in. So we made it a point to check all the blinds regularly. We eventually determined for sure, someone was coming out and hunting during the week, we were not there. Eventually we caught one guy, he lied his *** off. He got his *** chewed severely and got to meet the game warden and Sherriff. We found he added a lock to our chain and the chains on each of the other gates you had to go through, to get to the ranch.

But of the guys that we actually took out to hunt, many times we would have guys tell us, they never saw anything. After we had heard a shot or shots coming from the direction of the blind they were in. We would have guys all over the ranch. Each person would report back as to where they heard shots come from. We all knew where every blind was. So when someone shot, each of us knew most likely which blind the shot came from. But then we would all get together and compare notes and were then able to determine for sure which blind the shots came from. After the person in that blind would claim they had not seen anything. We would question them a little, then take them back to camp. Then we would go back to the blind they were in, check inside and 95% of the time, there would be one or more empty cases, of the same caliber the guy brought, that we had just had in the blind. So then we would go out looking for signs of a deer, that had been shot or shot at. Most of the time, we would find the spot where the deer had been standing, when it was shot or shot at. Then we would look for blood, hair or other signs it may have been hit. Then we would track it as far as we could. I would bet 70% of the time, we would find a dead deer within 100 yards of where the deer was shot. So we would gut the deer, load it in the truck and back to camp. Then get the guy out side, take him to the truck and show him his deer. 90% of the time, they would still claim, they had never fired a shot, some would get seriously ****** at us. Some would just swear up and down they never shot. A few would eventually admit they shot the deer. Some would admit they shot at a deer, but swear they did not hit the deer, likely they really had no clue.

Once we showed them their deer, we would load their gear up in their truck with their deer, tag their deer for them, with their tag and send them packing and make it very clear they were not welcome back. Some were understanding they made a mistake, others would be fuming mad. We did not tolerate any BS, we sent them down the road and made it clear they had better never show back up. The guy who did show back up and started poaching was one who did get highly ****** about getting kicked off of the place.

Yes, we had a guy from Dallas shoot a cow one morning, the same morning on the ranch next door, they had a guy from Dallas shoot a cow.

Many years later, I took my buddy hunting, his wife and brother in law. On that ranch, the game biologist, told us to shoot something like 37 doe the first year. We were only able to get about five people to shoot a doe. The second year, the game biologist told us to shoot 67 doe. We really pushed to get people to shoot doe. But they would shoot a buck and then claim they had no room in their freezer for any more deer. These same people would come out claiming they just were there to meat hunt, that they did not care if they shot a buck or doe, but then we could not get them to shoot a doe. We almost got to the point of either killing a doe and handing it to them or telling them they could only shoot doe or go home. But I never got the ok to do either.

So I take my buddy, his wife and brother in law out to hunt. Well the brother in law, said he wanted to shoot a buck, he wanted a big trophy buck. I told him that was not a option. he got ******. Well later when I took him to a blind and dropped him off, he wanted to make sure there were some big bucks in the area. I again made it clear, he was not allowed to shoot a buck under any circumstance. He got ****** again, then said he was going to shoot a buck. I made it clear his *** would be in a world of trouble if he did. At that point he pulled a knife on me. Then told me, I was going to let him shoot a big buck. I told him, he could put his knife away and take his *** home or I would introduce him to my 44 mag. He did not back down for a while. This was a difficult situation. His sister was my best friend's wife. Then his wife, was a woman, that was in my high school class. His sister was standing right there, when things got to the point, where I thought I was likely going to have to shoot him. He finally put the knife away. I took him back to camp and sent him home.

That was the last season we took people hunting, we had way too many problems those last two seasons.
                Dang you got worse luck than that boy on here that got stabbed,shot and jumped every other weekend. What was his name?

Comment

I have my own to share I suppose. Last season, hunting on family friends property with the landowners nephew and I in the same blind, Ages 18 and 20 at the time. I had permission to shoot a doe and he could shoot a buck. 3 does walk up to the feeder about 85 yards away and I line up and shoot the largest one. Once the initial excitement and general bs that happens with young men our age settles down he looks through his binos and says she looks a little small, I look again and definitely a young deer. I text the landowner saying I had one down and she looked young, and during that time a mature 8 walks out and in order to potentially not screw up any further we opted not to shoot. once loading the doe up, rather easily for one person I might add, we showed him pictures of the buck we passed and he was incredulous we let it walk.

Oh well I guess, I caught my share of ribbing for it and just called it veal whenever they try to poke fun at me. But I'd rather only make one mistake and have a chance to see that buck again this year.

Comment

bump

Comment

When I was 16 I killed a nubber by accident on my uncles place. First time hunting out there and the last time. LOL

I felt pretty bad, but luckily he was so ****** I guess he wanted to take a knife to something because he gut/skinned/quartered him off right then and there lol. I got to keep the meat.

Ooops.

Comment

I posted on here a long time ago, but recently have heard/seen a couple more too add.

A good friend of mine has an awesome MLD place in South Texas. Per usual, all deer have to weighed, aged, and scored for the log book. My buddie takes a customer of his, and one of his salesmen out not long after Season opens in October. His customer shoots a great Management buck one evening, and the salesman had been placed in a stand where pigs had been frequenting, as well as a really old, distinct cull buck. He had permission to shoot pigs, but if he saw the Cull he could text my buddy, and possibly get the green light.. Well while they are checking the customers Management buck in with the ranch manager, they hear a shot off in the distance towards where the salesman was. My buddie quickly sends a text, and asks "pigs?" or something to that affect. Guy writes back no, but i shot a cull.. RED ALERT!! My buddy is ****** already that this guy shot a deer when he didn't have permission, and even more so when he ask if it was the one he had been shown on the pics, and the guy said no. Ends up being a 1.5yr old buck, with antlers clearly visible. Obviously, not a good situation, and does not look good going into the log book.

A few weeks later, same friend invites me, another good friend of ours, and a different salesman down for a similar type of weekend. I was just going hang out, and shoot some pigs if the opportunity presented it self, and get video of any deer I saw. My other buddy was going after an old cull 9pt that would be his biggest deer ever(2nd deer ever). The salesman was just like me, and looking for pigs to come out. In talks, i guess my buddy had told his salesman that possibly a doe could be shot, but they really didn't want to right now as they still had the fawns with them.

First morning its Foggy as could be, and just miserably muggy.Before it gets light enough to see very well in the fog, the salesman sends a series of text to my buddy that made us all laugh.. but also made him nervous as heck lol. Went something like this:

"I have a big dry doe in front of me.."

"Nevermind.. its a small buck"

"too foggy... Looks like a huge 16pt"

LOL. ended up being a 150class 4.5 year old 10pt he had been seeing on cameras, but the dry doe to a 16pt part was pretty hilarious. We gave that guy grief all weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by TXSTBowhunter View Post
                          I have my own to share I suppose. Last season, hunting on family friends property with the landowners nephew and I in the same blind, Ages 18 and 20 at the time. I had permission to shoot a doe and he could shoot a buck. 3 does walk up to the feeder about 85 yards away and I line up and shoot the largest one. Once the initial excitement and general bs that happens with young men our age settles down he looks through his binos and says she looks a little small, I look again and definitely a young deer. I text the landowner saying I had one down and she looked young, and during that time a mature 8 walks out and in order to potentially not screw up any further we opted not to shoot. once loading the doe up, rather easily for one person I might add, we showed him pictures of the buck we passed and he was incredulous we let it walk.

Oh well I guess, I caught my share of ribbing for it and just called it veal whenever they try to poke fun at me. But I'd rather only make one mistake and have a chance to see that buck again this year.
                          You did that right. I'd rather take some ribbing for passing a buck than shooting the wrong deer.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tspurgin26 View Post
                            This thread is awesome
                            X2

Comment

Originally posted by thorshammer View Post
                              In my opinion, it is real and the statement of SPOOF was simply a cover up to save face of shooter after it went viral. The deep diaphragm laughs after the deer was illuminated is not typical of a staged video!

Comment

Originally posted by texsdr View Post
                                In my opinion, it is real and the statement of SPOOF was simply a cover up to save face of shooter after it went viral. The deep diaphragm laughs after the deer was illuminated is not typical of a staged video!
                                Sure thing bud

Comment

Working...
                                X