Low blood platelets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sika View Post
    I do not understand aspirin for low platelet count. Platelets clot the blood to stop you from bleeding but Aspirin interferes with blood clotting function.

I'm very confused about this as well. I personally would not be taking aspirin if I had a low platelet count. I'd also be looking for a new doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The aspirin makes no sense to me, either. She should have repeated the lab (now), to make sure it wasn't a mistake, and sent you to a a hematologist/oncologist to start ruling out causes.

Comment

I have low platelets as well

Found out about 2 years ago and was worried as well. They check it every six months now. Sometimes it's close to normal and sometimes lower

There is a level that they will have more concern. I think it's under 100
        I had to go to an oncologists as well.

They said more than likely it is ITP

Comment

I do not understand aspirin for low platelet count. Platelets clot the blood to stop you from bleeding but Aspirin interferes with blood clotting function.
          Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
          yep. aspirin thins blood.
          Originally posted by Hammerdown15 View Post
          I'm very confused about this as well. I personally would not be taking aspirin if I had a low platelet count. I'd also be looking for a new doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by Abctx View Post
          The aspirin makes no sense to me, either. She should have repeated the lab (now), to make sure it wasn't a mistake, and sent you to a a hematologist/oncologist to start ruling out causes.
          All of the above! Thinning your blood with low platelets makes no sense whatsoever!

Comment

119 platelets isnt something I'd worry about too much. If it was 10, it would be another story. I dont know why she started you on aspirin, but I wouldnt worry much. Just follow up

For the folks who talked about oncologists (cancer doctors), this is because they are usually heme/onc (hematology/oncolocy) and specialize in blood disorders and cancer.

Comment

Aspirin doesn't interfere with clotting, as is a common belief. It decreases platelet aggregation...laymans terms, makes the platelets less "sticky" or have a lower affinity for cojoining.

The chemical levels of aspirin slows the production of cycloxygenase which is a platelet aggregation inhibitor along with thromboxin A2. From what I can find, when platelets are low, it can be caused by an increased level of T A2 and COX. Aspirin lowers these. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Comment

Thanks for 'splainin' that, TxMedic. I learned something.

Comment

That's what I'm thinkin . .

Comment

Working...
                  X