Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Here Not Hunting Over Feeders on Their Lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
    Saw this thread and had to make sure I wasn't on archery talk.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Why? Do they discuss different hunting tactics there?

Comment

Run feeders?
      Yes.
      Hunt over them?
      I don't, but the kids do.
      I hunt travel routes or akern trees.
      Our big bucks won't even go to a feeder, day or night.

Comment

[QUOTE=Trumpkin;12511954]I'm just curious! You weren't allowed to bait for game where I come from. It seems pretty standard practice here, but it's such a foreign concept to me.

QUOTE]

Same here. No feeders or box blinds.

You've probably already found out that most hunters participate in feeding and box blinds nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
          Why? Do they discuss different hunting tactics there?
          They are extremely prejudice against feeders.
          Like sitting in a small funnel between two huge corn fields is any difference. Every deer on the place will be in that small section of woods sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
            They are extremely prejudice against feeders.
            Like sitting in a small funnel between two huge corn fields is any difference. Every deer on the place will be in that small section of woods sooner or later.

Having hunted both ways there is a huge difference between hunting a feeder and setting up in the woods near a corn field. I follow what you are saying though. The condescending attitude about how someone chooses to legally hunt gets old fast! I am on a Facebook group for elk hunting and there is a group that say if you hire a guide, you are not hunting. It's just as dumb as saying using a feeder is not hunting. It most certainly is hunting, just a different style or method.

Edit - I would add though where I have hunted there are not small wood lots. Its hundreds of acres of woods mixed with hundreds of acres of farm/crop ground. Actually I think there is more woods than crops.
            Last edited by Kdog; 06-19-2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
              Having hunted both ways there is a huge difference between hunting a feeder and setting up in the woods near a corn field. I follow what you are saying though. The condescending attitude about how someone chooses to legally hunt gets old fast! I am on a Facebook group for elk hunting and there is a group that say if you hire a guide, you are not hunting. It's just as dumb as saying using a feeder is not hunting. It most certainly is hunting, just a different style or method.

Edit - I would add though where I have hunted there are not small wood lots. Its hundreds of acres of woods mixed with hundreds of acres of farm/crop ground. Actually I think there is more woods than crops.
              Yes but you still know where the major food source is and even more so once the snow hits the ground.
              In W
              E TX the food source is everywhere almost all of the season.
              It just seems awhole lot easier to pattern them up north.

Comment

Yup have corn feeders at every blind and a cabin feeder to watch deer in the evenings when not deer hunting.

Comment

Well, I think this took a turn I wasn't expecting or intending.

I did not mean to start an ethics war, or even hint at one. I just wanted to know if it was something people found critical for success or not. I have much more confidence in scouting trails, etc. and setting up on them now than I did before. I also won't feel obligated to shell out for a lease and feeders at the same time, something the wife will appreciate.

Lets not spin this one out into an argument moving forward fellas. I got my answers, so thank you!

Comment

Op, do you bow hunt?

Comment

I haven't read all the previous posts, but I hunt East texas and this is my personal take on the subject.

I choose not to. I will hand corn some, but I don't depend on it. For one, feeders just attract pigs and I'm not building a pen to feed deer. 2, it gets expensive. 3, mature bucks don't really hit them during shooting hours anyway. 4, I have, and do get it done wthout feeders. 5, I enjoy the enhanced challenge of hunting deer without bait.

I don't care how other people hunt and I don't look down on them for doing it their own way. My way makes me happy and their way makes them happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post

I did not mean to start an ethics war, or even hint at one. I just wanted to know if it was something people found critical for success or not. I have much more confidence in scouting trails, etc. and setting up on them now than I did before. I also won't feel obligated to shell out for a lease and feeders at the same time, something the wife will appreciate.

Lets not spin this one out into an argument moving forward fellas. I got my answers, so thank you!
                        I didnt mean to side track your thread.
                        I have seen more deer and more bucks at hand corn than feeders.
                        A few years ago they were doing a bunch of logging on the lease. The skidders were close enough to be loud but not see.
                        For 3 sits I had a old doe that would blow and snort way before I even know she was around , that would not come to the feeder because of the noise of the skidders. You could tell she wanted to but was just nervous.
                        So the next evening I threw out a bunch of hand corn out 20ft on either side of the tree I was in and only about 10 ft in front of it.
                        Sure enough she came in just like she had done before,lookin at the feeder and bobbing her head . When she made to the hand corn she stopped looked around a bit and started feeding all relaxed.
                        I had gotten in the habit of putting piles of corn in bushes and on the side of trees so they had to put their heads in places they couldn't see me . She put her head behind a tree which put her broad side and quartering away. That was her last mistake.
                        I've also learned that some of the most productive stand are the ones I set up in the middle of the day and hunt for the first time.

Comment

Anyone Here Not Hunting Over Feeders on Their Lease?

I don't have feeders in my area where my deer sets are. If I put a feeder out I just become a pig farmer. I do have a spot with a feeder but it only draws in pigs. The less [emoji200] I see the more I see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I spend a lot of time sitting on a 200 +/-acre wheat field. I guess technically it's a feeder? Or not? If the wheat is good there could be 100+ deer on it. If wheat is bad there will be 20+
                            So with 4000 +/- yds of fence line it's pretty frustrating sitting in a spot and watching deer you would consider shooting come out in 3 other spots.
                            Last edited by Abcdj; 06-19-2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Deer farms and dinner bells, pretty much describes Texas deer hunting. If you want to get back to what you're used to it'll be a little work to find the right place or just hunt the limited public land we have.

Comment

I'm just curious! You weren't allowed to bait for game where I come from. It seems pretty standard practice here, but it's such a foreign concept to me.

I guess until I get some private I don't have to worry about figuring it out anyways. At least I think you aren't allowed to throw corn for deer on most of the Corp land around here?
                                I don't hunt over a feeder.

Comment

Working...
                                X