No announcement yet.

High shoulder shot - rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son shot this 219lb boar this weekend with a high shoulder shot out of a .308. He was DRT. Never took a step.
    Attached Files

Comment

This...

is my favored shot placement given a broadside shot. Like others have said, DRT.

Comment

I have and have had good luck with it every time. As long as the caliber and ammo has sufficient energy it should drop the animal in its tracks. They may not always be dead as a hammer but they won't go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          If I was meat hunting back when I used to shoot rifles a lot, I put it right under the ear if their head was broadside... If lookin' at me, right in the white throat patch... Ain't no way I'd shoot one in the meat if I was meat hunting... If it was a trophy, I'd drop down a joint or 2 in the neck... If you hit where you aim, apply the archery philosophy, "aim small, hit small"... Someone who knows their rifle and shoots it regularly and accurately, there's no reason not to take out the central nervous system with your shot... this is NOT a shot for the guy who goes to the range or puts up a corn sack and shoots 3 shots a year...
          This shot is definitely not for the newbie or kiddos. I really don't like wasting meat, and I don't see much difference in walking 30 yards from were they were standing to load them up, to dropping them and blowing some meat up. Though I can see situations where you wouldn't want the getting in the "thick stuff" to go ahead and put them on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            Don't use a plastic tipped bullet though, too explosive.

Extremely inaccurate statement! Some of the toughest & deepest penetrating bullets made now have plastic tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
              That was going to be my question, is this a good shot for .223 in 55gr soft nose?
              The axis in my avatar was shot w/ that exact setup at about 100 yards and never took a step.

Comment

I shoot center shoulder a tad lower... DRT

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                  I shoot center shoulder a tad lower... DRT

Yep, me too but anywhere between the 2 spots will work. I'm just glad to finally see a thread where a .223 will kill a deer

Comment

Depends on animal and goal.

Long range and / or trophy high shoulder is the shot.

Standard range meat or cull deer it goes through the lunges, I'm confident I can make the 20-50 yard track and not waste an ounce of meat.

Comment

The one deer I neck shot spun a 360 on its hind legs and fell over dead. Walking up, it looked like Dexter went to town on him there was so much blood spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tried it once, one hell of a mess quartering that thing up and didn't like it. I like to put the shoulders off nice and clean in one piece not globules of coagulated goo and chunks all over and I also don't like chewing on bone fragments.

Comment

I prefer base of the neck. DRT, no tracking, and doesn't ruin any of the best meat. Neck meat is full of nerves and gristle anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                            Yep, me too but anywhere between the 2 spots will work. I'm just glad to finally see a thread where a .223 will kill a deer
                            Haha- I hear ya. Quality bullet with good placement, DRT.

Comment

Dirt naps are always good....I like it!

Comment

Yep, we call it the 2 by 6. Two inches forward of the elbow joint and 6 inches up. Dirt nap.

Comment

Working...
                                X