Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Here Not Hunting Over Feeders on Their Lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see a feeder from my favorite stand on my place in East Tx.... but I don't look in that direction when I hunt...does this count?

Comment

We don't on my lease in Arkansas. We may hand corn some during the season.

Comment

I have feeders out, but it's been a while since I put anything in them. I turn one on at one part of the place bc of the neighbors and it does an alright job of concentrating the hogs to that feeder and theirs.

Comment

It is fun to hunt both ways. Can't bait in Wisconsin, and it has forced me to be a better hunter. Although I would not say it is easier, baiting/feeding deer is a lot of work!

Last year I did not manage to kill a deer at my feeder, but I shot an elk in New Mexico and a Wisconsin buck with no bait. My son did shoot 3 deer at the lease in Texas though.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckDogTrainer View Post
            Big axis and whitetail no feeder. Pigs and does feeder.
            Pretty accurate... Big deer on trails and maybe hand corn. Does and pigs at a feeder if I'm just itching to shoot something or need deer meat. We have a single feeder pen we keep food in year around but do not have a stand on it. Thinking of putting one on it this year for the kids to shoot something and have a better chance at seeing activity and holding their interest.

Comment

I agree. Only pinheads like these, doe and pigs come to feeders.
              One of these days I'm gonna try some hand corn and vanilla and maybe I'll kill a big'n.

Last edited by lakefork; 06-18-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I hunt east Texas, one feeder in a pin, one hog feeder, & a feeder at my boys stand. But my biggest I've seen I was hunting a oak patch.

Comment

Don't kid yourself. Under the right circumstances, big mature bucks will eat at a feeder in the daylight. I have tons of pics, if there is any doubt.

Comment

In West Texas I use feeders. In East Texas I only have one feeder and I don't bow hunt it. I do hunt trails leading to it. In my experience, big East Texas bucks at my place don't come to the feeders in the daytime.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckDogTrainer View Post
                      Big axis and whitetail no feeder. Pigs and does feeder.

How are you hunting Axis, just sitting on a trail, spot and stalk, etc.?

Comment

Killed at a feeder first of Dec this past season in McCulloch cty. Second pic buck also killed at a feeder on the same ranch previous year. Not giants but good mature HC bucks.

The deer hit corn hard on our ranch so we all run feeders. I still place hand corn in shooting lanes though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

South Texas whitetails yes and I've killed some good ones in the feed pen

West Texas muleys no feeder hunt them during the rut.

Comment

Saw this thread and had to make sure I wasn't on archery talk.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Most of the deer on our place have not been shot over a feeder but travel lanes that we may throw hand corn out to slow them down. It helps on slowing down pigs, too.

Comment

I stopped hunting deer over feeders 99% of the time 2 years ago due to the huge acorn crops. I still have protein and corn feeders in my areas but I prefer not to hunt over them. I prefer to still hunt or stalk down in the gully and creek bottoms. I've seen the biggest bucks on our place within 200 yds of my feeders but never at them. They seem to skirt around them so I try to guess which route they are going to use to avoid them and hunt along them sometimes just sitting by a tree (if rifle hunting). I've seen more mature deer doing this vs hunting feeders. This is in East Tx where deer tend to be more skittish though.

Comment

Working...
                                X