No announcement yet.

Camp Bullis 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello to everyone, new to this site. I have been bow hunting Camp Bullis for 27 years. I would like to bring up a few points that need considerations when you hunt there.

1. There is a quota system for maneuver areas based on size of area and survey. For instance, last year the buck quota for 8A and 8B was 2 bucks. There are 9 archery circles/hunters in those areas. Not everyone will get to shoot a forked antlered buck. Also note that spikes are counted against this quota. If you harvest a spike you are kind of screwing over the other hunters in your area. Yes you can shoot 1 forked antlered deer with inside of 13" or greater, a spike (slick on at least one side) and a doe. Or as I read the rules, you can shoot up to 3 does instead of bucks. I need to verify that.

2. You must wear fluorescent orange (vest and cap) to and from your stand when hunting and while scouting during whitetail season.

3. There are many nice bucks at Camp Bullis and the key to getting one is being patient, talk with other hunters in your area about not shooting spikes and putting in the time on stand. Good luck to all this season, Tom.

Comment

Welcome to the site Tom. Great points about the quotas and being patient especially. What area are you in this year?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by born-two-hunt View Post
        Hello to everyone, new to this site. I have been bow hunting Camp Bullis for 27 years. I would like to bring up a few points that need considerations when you hunt there.

1. There is a quota system for maneuver areas based on size of area and survey. For instance, last year the buck quota for 8A and 8B was 2 bucks. There are 9 archery circles/hunters in those areas. Not everyone will get to shoot a forked antlered buck. Also note that spikes are counted against this quota. If you harvest a spike you are kind of screwing over the other hunters in your area. Yes you can shoot 1 forked antlered deer with inside of 13" or greater, a spike (slick on at least one side) and a doe. Or as I read the rules, you can shoot up to 3 does instead of bucks. I need to verify that.

2. You must wear fluorescent orange (vest and cap) to and from your stand when hunting and while scouting during whitetail season.

3. There are many nice bucks at Camp Bullis and the key to getting one is being patient, talk with other hunters in your area about not shooting spikes and putting in the time on stand. Good luck to all this season, Tom.
        That's a good point as I'm new to the area. Does anyone know what the quota was in 8A last year?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Comment

I was drawn in the 2nd draw and am in 6A-3. 8A and 8B had a combined quota last year of 2 bucks. The actual quota for each maneuver area each year is only known by the folks in the biology dept. You can look at last years harvest data and see what was harvested and get a pretty good idea of what the quota was. Several areas are combined and the quota is for both areas.

I realize that this quota system kind of forces your hand and some will shoot the first legal buck they see. It's the "I'm gonna get mine attitude". I'm not throwing any stones here and in some cases if it's your first buck, good for you.

Last year I was after one particular buck, a 10 point with double drop tines. Ended up not shooting a single deer but had 6-7 bucks that were regulars and all would have scored in the high 130's to 140's. When I made up my mind to take one of them in late December, they all had broken tines. They are still there somewhere.

By the way, 8A and 8B have both had axis deer taken over the years. Tom

Comment

I will try to post a picture of the drop tine buck I was after last year when I am allowed. Seems I have to have at least 5 posts to post picture. I use photobucket, what is the best way to post photo? I am guessing just the URL. Wish there was an option to preview picture before posting. Thanks, Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Kybowhuntr View Post
              That's a good point as I'm new to the area. Does anyone know what the quota was in 8A last year?

They closed 8A for bucks after two were shot.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by msims6288 View Post
                They closed 8A for bucks after two were shot.

I'm guessing it's probably going to be about the same this yr. I can promise you I'll be holding out for mature buck and won't be shooting a spike. However, I can't promise you I won't wack a doe for the freezer though. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Kybowhuntr View Post
                  I'm guessing it's probably going to be about the same this yr. I can promise you I'll be holding out for mature buck and won't be shooting a spike. However, I can't promise you I won't wack a doe for the freezer though. Haha

Does aren't an issue, and since I have orders to Germany, I won't shoot a deer unless he's a monster. It will have to be well worth the rush in processing the mount and eating/distributing the meat. But, I will take all the turkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by msims6288 View Post
                    Does aren't an issue, and since I have orders to Germany, I won't shoot a deer unless he's a monster. It will have to be well worth the rush in processing the mount and eating/distributing the meat. But, I will take all the turkeys.

That's good to know someone else is holding out for a wall hanger. I wouldn't mind taking a Rio either being this will probably be one of my last chances to do so.

Comment

So I got drawn today and got stand 5b-9. Has anyone had problems with the spot being open for hunting (exotics) and having issues going to scout with confrontations of the guys out there hunting. Any tips about this spot?

Comment

Haven't hunted that area myself but I can tell you expect lots of hogs and listening to traffic from Blanco Rd. Not much training in that area so should be open to hunting most Fri-Sun. As far as scouting goes there should be no problem with other hunters except during the whitetail season and then scouting is limited I believe to the hours of between 10AM and 3 PM. Tom

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

I thought areas were closed to general hunting during the whitetail season

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbousmc View Post
                              I thought areas were closed to general hunting during the whitetail season
                              They are, sort of. You as a stand holder can hunt/harvest what ever game is in season. If you add another Hunter with a general permit to your stand they can harvest what ever game is in season except whitetail. So, they technically are closed to "public" per say.

Comment

Thank you, that was my understanding from what I read. I thought I misinterpreted something.

Comment

Working...
                                X