Lost my private spot, now in need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
    I have to share this update with you guys, just so you can share in my incredulity. Now, I'm not still holding out hope for this spot or anything, but there are 2 things that have happened since the initial pass when I found out the 'bad news.'

1. I asked the FIL's wife about being able to go down there and kill a doe or a hog. I got permission to do that with a strict 'no bucks' reminder because they are reserved.

2. This is the part that, to me, is nuts. My FIL is in big business and travels a lot. He emailed my wife (not me) from Europe and asked her if I could/would go down to the property this weekend and help the wife and their best friend work. Like, weld, move dirt, operate heavy equipment, improve the land, tractor - hot, out-in-the-sun work. Which, hey, I don't mind a bit. But, can someone tell me why it's ok to say, 'hey man we're taking something from you, and the guy we gave it to is going to be noticeably absent, so we need you to go do manual labor for us.' I mean, really?

Sounds to me like he doesn't know what is going on ( I didn't read much above, so maybe this has been addressed). However, have your wife email him back and ask tell him that you will absolutely help, but does he know that the MIL has taken away some hunting rights?

Comment

Sorry in advance for the rude question...but is the FILs wife sweet on this new guy? If FIL is out of town a lot and this new guy is taking over, is it plausible?

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
        Sounds to me like he doesn't know what is going on ( I didn't read much above, so maybe this has been addressed). However, have your wife email him back and ask tell him that you will absolutely help, but does he know that the MIL has taken away some hunting rights?
        You know, I thought about this. And I think we have to have a conversation when he gets back. My concern is that he's going to say, 'her rule stands.' But, again, I can just take my ball and go home after that. I'm hoping he doesn't actually know that conversation was had. If he does, this is...profoundly arrogant.

Comment

You know, I thought about this. And I think we have to have a conversation when he gets back. My concern is that he's going to say, 'her rule stands.' But, again, I can just take my ball and go home after that. I'm hoping he doesn't actually know that conversation was had. If he does, this is...profoundly arrogant.
          After reading more, I bet the MIL likes this friend and is making up rules without letting your FIL know. I would just tell him, "Hey, I will always be glad to help y'all out because we are family, but what is going on with the hunting situation? I would like to understand as to not step on any toes"

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
            Sorry in advance for the rude question...but is the FILs wife sweet on this new guy? If FIL is out of town a lot and this new guy is taking over, is it plausible?
            I don't think so. I mean, that would make it a little bit easier to understand. But, the guy is younger than me. He's like...27 or something. What I DO think is helping this situation is that new guy is friends with HER son (who is NOT related at all to my FIL).

Comment

Oh no!

I have to share this update with you guys, just so you can share in my incredulity. Now, I'm not still holding out hope for this spot or anything, but there are 2 things that have happened since the initial pass when I found out the 'bad news.'

1. I asked the FIL's wife about being able to go down there and kill a doe or a hog. I got permission to do that with a strict 'no bucks' reminder because they are reserved.

2. This is the part that, to me, is nuts. My FIL is in big business and travels a lot. He emailed my wife (not me) from Europe and asked her if I could/would go down to the property this weekend and help the wife and their best friend work. Like, weld, move dirt, operate heavy equipment, improve the land, tractor - hot, out-in-the-sun work. Which, hey, I don't mind a bit. But, can someone tell me why it's ok to say, 'hey man we're taking something from you, and the guy we gave it to is going to be noticeably absent, so we need you to go do manual labor for us.' I mean, really?
              I would be to busy scratching my ***** to go help!

Comment

I don't think so. I mean, that would make it a little bit easier to understand. But, the guy is younger than me. He's like...27 or something. What I DO think is helping this situation is that new guy is friends with HER son (who is NOT related at all to my FIL).
                Ok, it's starting to make a bit more sense. The MIL, is a step MIL and since the FIL is out of town, his daughters husband (you) are getting the shaft. I don't think he knows what's going on.

I wouldn't have the conversation with the FIL, have your wife do it. It seems apparent that the FIL is in the dark since he asked you to do some work. Have your woman fix this so you don't have to be the bad guy.

Comment

Man this is rough. I was in a similar situation last year and it ruined my season but I couldn't complain because I was hunting someone's place for free. I seriously thought about just finding a lease because it got to be such a hassle worrying about random friends of the ranch owner going to my spots whenever they wanted, messing with my feeders, stands and taking young deer.

I hope you find something man, I would seriously start looking for a lease next year where you can pay some money not to have those same issues.

Comment

That's a tough one there. I would take my stuff home with me this weekend after helping them work. Let them see that it's not worth your time to feed their deer if you can't hunt them. Maybe a light bulb will go off in that she's being unreasonable and will change her rules. But for me, I would just pack my stuff with no intention in returning to hunt. If fil can't stand up to his wife to let his sil hunt instead of her kids friend, then I wouldn't be able to help much around the place either. At least not his wife. If fil asked for help, I would always be willing to help.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                      That's a tough one there. I would take my stuff home with me this weekend after helping them work. Let them see that it's not worth your time to feed their deer if you can't hunt them. Maybe a light bulb will go off in that she's being unreasonable and will change her rules. But for me, I would just pack my stuff with no intention in returning to hunt. If fil can't stand up to his wife to let his sil hunt instead of her kids friend, then I wouldn't be able to help much around the place either. At least not his wife. If fil asked for help, I would always be willing to help.
                      I like this last line of thinking. Thanks.

Comment

So the property owners son is having his friend hunt and your hook is out of town a lot so you're SOL? Tough spot to be in. I would still go help because it's your family and they asked you to but I wouldn't do anything to improve the hunting.

Since you keep referring to your MIL as you FIL wife I'm guessing you aren't very close with her which may be part of the reason she didn't care about letting the other guy have your spot. Try to get a relationship with her too and it may help

Other than that I'd say LBj is your best bet, you've missed the deadline for all the public land draws around dfw this year

Comment

Having a good relationship with your FIL is not worth all this trouble. Find a new place to hunt.

That's my .02

Comment

I don't think I've known anyone with a free hunting spot that did more hunting than worrying. I would tell FIL, hey I'd love to go down and help work but I thought this new guy that took my hunting spot had everything handled.

Comment

It's family, go do the work , don't be a PIA , no reason to disrespect the families, sometimes these things just have to run their course. IMO the other guy rocked the boat , so I would just enjoy the FIL's place in what ever capacity

Comment

Man, I sure am glad the men make most of the important decisions in my family.

Comment

Working...
                                X